Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2018, 02:03 PM   #211
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
D750, which is by far the most popular Nikon ff as far as I'm aware.
So popular they recalled it 3 times,they were that fond of it!

01-27-2018, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #212
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Norm and Surfar have it right, I held one for a few minutes and quickly handed it back before I called for a credit line increase on my card. It felt that good just playing around in the store.
01-27-2018, 02:06 PM   #213
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
So popular they recalled it 3 times,they were that fond of it!
I'm aware of the recalls, but it doesn't make the camera any less popular apparently, at least 3 of my friends went with that model (not one of them experienced any issues btw), I'm guessing high praise from reviewers on the internets was a major contributor.
01-27-2018, 02:07 PM   #214
Pentaxian

That is part of marketing plan, first IAMRecalled, then IAMHistory etc;]

01-27-2018, 02:11 PM   #215
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What if they’ve got the 42Mp BSI sensor from the A99ll (now 18 months old), have done the ‘Pentax tweak’, have developed a new PDAF sensor (which has been holding up new releases) for use in all three platforms (on APSc they just turn off the edge focus points), add a better buffer, faster throughput, OK video and the KP/K-70 image processor stuff - and price it against the Sony the way K-1 was priced against D850? Say $2,199? That’s a K-1 Super!

Then bring D FA50, D FA85, D FA20 or 24, APSc flagship, the 11-18 and an f/4 Zoom?

Who’s cryin now?

And when I held the K-1 I didn’t give it back. Still the best feeling camera I’ve ever owned.

Last edited by monochrome; 01-28-2018 at 04:53 AM.
01-27-2018, 02:12 PM - 7 Likes   #216
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
What if they’ve got the 42Mp BSI sensor from the A99ll (now 18 months old), have done the ‘Pentax tweak’, have developed a new PDAF sensor (which has been holding up new releases) for use in all three platforms (on APSc they just turn off the edge focus points), add a better buffer, faster throughput, OK video and the KP/K-70 image professor stuff - and price it against the Sony the way K-1’was priced against D850? Say $2,299? That’s a K-1 Super.

Then bring D FA50, D FA85, D FA20 or 24, APSc flagship, the 11-18 and an f/4 Zoom?

Who’s cryin now?
My bank account
01-27-2018, 02:15 PM   #217
Pentaxian

I'm guessing high praise from reviewers on the internets was a major contributor.
Yes,those guys that have the link to BUY!...so they get their commish.

---------- Post added 01-28-18 at 08:19 AM ----------

My bank account
Not just yours, MANY on here!

01-27-2018, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #218
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Reed Quote
That is part of marketing plan, first IAMRecalled, then IAMHistory etc;]
I'd suggest "Total Recall" and "I am Legend"
01-27-2018, 02:20 PM   #219
Pentaxian

What if they’ve got the 42Mp BSI sensor from the A99ll (now 18 months old), have done the ‘Pentax tweak’, have developed a new PDAF sensor (which has been holding up new releases) for use in all three platforms (on APSc they just turn off the edge focus points), add a better buffer, faster throughput, OK video and the KP/K-70 image professor stuff - and price it against the Sony the way K-1’was priced against D850? Say $2,299? That’s a K-1 Super.
All this will happen, just a matter of When?

---------- Post added 01-28-18 at 08:26 AM ----------

And when I held the K-1 I didn’t give it back. Still the best feeling camera I’ve ever owned.
Yes,feels nice...but not the backpack with all the glass inside!
01-27-2018, 02:28 PM   #220
Veteran Member

I don't think there's much point arguing about what kind of new body Ricoh should or shouldn't do at this stage. If a new body is indeed around the corner, the decisions about its specs and price-point were made a looong time ago. We can only wait and see what they will announce to get information about what direction they are headed in. Personally, I'm much more interested in a K-3 III, but if the "K-1 Super" has good crop performance (read better FPS & buffer than K-3, with at least 18MP cropped frames) as well as much improved video specs, I'll certainly consider it. But it's likely to be both too expensive and too heavy for my taste...
01-27-2018, 02:28 PM   #221
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
The thing is that here is not any moves like that going on.

And actually K-1 is great for what it is what you want it so cheap, is that you are Little cheap. Especial Wien you have bought Sony A7 When it is so cheap, it kind a underlines that. Now D850 is great, but it is also more expensive, where as D610 is what it is...making K-1more cheap does not change much things, atleast on your list. So what bring it up?

Sure when net model eventually comes it changes, but as Kenspo said, there is not much like that to be waited ni near future..
I use my cheap gear because I'am myself cheap guy that like the terrible cheap quality photos I take with it on vacation. Imagine that before the A7 and still available to me I have a K3, ever worse dynamic range, high iso, tonal range... Everything so much worse.

And I even used it with the 55-300... Difficult to go more cheap than me to reach 300mm... I actually had to get near equator to get enough light to get some photos out of that uter garbage... Quality is so bad I am not even sure you'll be able to tel appart the photos of the elephant from the one of gnus...

Seriously, I prefer to get a few day more there in vacations or in Vietnam, Cambodge, India, Icelad and so on than to get too much fancy gear...

Story of a cheap guy with its cheap: A7 + 28-75, K3 with DA15, DA21, FA31, FA77... Only cheap gear. I wonder how most of the forum should feel ? Uterly poor ?
01-27-2018, 02:35 PM - 2 Likes   #222
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So, it would seem that almost all of us who have handled a K1 have either kept it or handed it back with great difficulty which most likely required some form of support therapy to assist in short term withdrawal recovery from the experience. Seems to me that would indicate Pentax nailed it pretty well. I know when a good friend brought his D810 over for me to check out, I came away with two strong feelings. The D810 is a great camera, but I couldn't wait to get my hands wrapped back around my K1. Maybe some of it is what you're used to, but the balance, grip, intuitiveness of controls, quality of build, all go to the K1 for me, and throw the pixel shift in, and any quibbling over IQ is pretty much wrapped up too.

Can't wait to see what the next iteration is. What a great situation to be in where if desired, your backup camera becomes a K1 with an even more capable evolution of the design as primary. Pentaxians could be in a far worse spot in the rumor mill.

01-27-2018, 02:53 PM   #223
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
I use my cheap gear because I'am myself cheap guy that like the terrible cheap quality photos I take with it on vacation. Imagine that before the A7 and still available to me I have a K3, ever worse dynamic range, high iso, tonal range... Everything so much worse.

And I even used it with the 55-300... Difficult to go more cheap than me to reach 300mm... I actually had to get near equator to get enough light to get some photos out of that uter garbage... Quality is so bad I am not even sure you'll be able to tel appart the photos of the elephant from the one of gnus...

Seriously, I prefer to get a few day more there in vacations or in Vietnam, Cambodge, India, Icelad and so on than to get too much fancy gear...

Story of a cheap guy with its cheap: A7 + 28-75, K3 with DA15, DA21, FA31, FA77... Only cheap gear. I wonder how most of the forum should feel ? Uterly poor ?
We're just saying you're in a minority on this one Nicolas, vast majority of people that have/used/want K-1 see it priced appropriately and like the camera. Thanks for showing wildlife photos (they are very good), but if you wanted K-1 for that purpose you might be missing the point - it's a landscape/field camera, build and spec'ed for that.

In general I agree that going to cool places is probably more beneficial than getting dream gear. But that doesn't mean K-1 is too expensive.

---------- Post added 01-27-18 at 02:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Yes,feels nice...but not the backpack with all the glass inside!
Oh I feel it now, with recently purchased 15-30 in there, together with tammy 70-200, the dfa 28-105 and my tripod I'm feeling the workout when I walk around)
01-27-2018, 02:57 PM   #224
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
your backup camera becomes a K1
It was always designed to be the intro to FF,they couldnt give us something with all the bells and whistles straight up!

Same with the glass, they provided the basic FLs with high quality zooms, BUT,this year and next the primes will arrive!

Rome wasnt built in a day,especially when you have to commute from Tokyo!
01-27-2018, 03:03 PM - 1 Like   #225
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote

I don't really think the point is whether you are cheap or not. It is your continued assertions that the K-1 isn't worth the price that is being charged. You may not appreciate having increased megapixels, pixel shift, astro tracer, better battery life, better build, weather sealing, better dynamic range at base iso and throughout the iso range, and having better ergonomics, but those are the sorts of things that lead the K-1 to be priced 770 dollars more than the A7 on Amazon and those are the reasons that the K-1 will not drop to the price of the A7 at any point in the future.

If Pentax came out with a 24 megapixel full frame camera, it is possible that they could drop the price into the 1500 dollar range, but I'm not sure why they would do that. It seems as though even the folks who buy the A7 cameras tend to move on from them to other Sonys pretty quickly due to their limitations.
Closed Thread