Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 622 Likes Search this Thread
01-28-2018, 04:16 AM   #241
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
The sensor or the pixelcount is not the major problem of the K1.
The MKii may improve on shutter shock, general speed, AF and tracking, fps, shake reduction.
The sensor probably is the issue if you want faster frame rates and better video. This is a pretty old sensor and doesn't have read out speed capable of really fast frame rates or 4K video.

01-28-2018, 04:20 AM - 1 Like   #242
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The MKii may improve on shutter shock, general speed, AF and tracking, fps, shake reduction.
I think that 36 MP is just right. General performance could always be improved, and I think that it will. I have already found that raising flash sync to 1/200 has solved many things on that field, now improving thirdparty functionality, it would be even better. I'm not worried of shutter shock BTW knowing it and doing workaround is enough. AF needs improvement more than SR. IMHO.
01-28-2018, 04:20 AM   #243
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
So WHERES the new sensor coming from if the 36mp is redundant?

Sony of course. There is the 42mp sensor.
01-28-2018, 04:32 AM   #244
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Sony of course. There is the 42mp sensor.
It's actually quite an interesting conundrum - Pentax can't fall too far behind in the Mp race - not because more is always better but because the further off the pace you are in one area, the better you need to be in another to compensate in attention grabbing terms - and, of course, neither the Canon nor Nikon mega-Mp efforts use Sony sensors - so the piggy-backing possibility isn't there

01-28-2018, 04:54 AM   #245
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
That would be a game changer. Each K-1II with inbuilt academic advisor. No more wondering what the "rule of thirds" is. Or how to frame. Just ask your personal image professor.
Hah. My autocorrect was aggressive yesterday
01-28-2018, 04:58 AM   #246
Pentaxian

IMO Ricoh could tweak some electronics and firmware on the K1 to make a K1 II. Reason why I think so is because upgrading some electronic components on a mother board may not require much work but could translate into faster / better capabilities of the camera in the exact same body.

---------- Post added 28-01-18 at 12:59 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
There is the 42mp sensor.
No sure there would use a different sensor for a mark II model.
01-28-2018, 05:08 AM   #247
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
It's actually quite an interesting conundrum - Pentax can't fall too far behind in the Mp race - not because more is always better but because the further off the pace you are in one area, the better you need to be in another to compensate in attention grabbing terms - and, of course, neither the Canon nor Nikon mega-Mp efforts use Sony sensors - so the piggy-backing possibility isn't there

36mp is plenty. It is not what is most important to keep up with the competition. Pentax has to build up a lens portfolio fitting a serious full frame camera and it has to keep up in the electronics department. Both are lagging. It takes time to build a modern lens portfolio, but a 4K capable sensor and improved operational speed in both shooting and AF tracking (also dependent on lenses that can keep up) should be Technology that can be acquired. megapixel count is just a choice about which sensor from Sony they can get. 24/36/42. As i said earlier 36 may not be a choice any more. So 42 would not be chosen because of the mp race but because it is available (or might be). If not then Ricoh will have to revert to 24mp. Which is also a distinct possibility because we haven't seen the 42mp sensor in Nikon yet. Maybe we will now more on CP+ will a K-1 II be announced there? Will a Nikon FF mirrorless appear there?

01-28-2018, 05:15 AM   #248
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
No sure there would use a different sensor for a mark II model.
Well they might not. Unless the IMX094 sensor has ceased production and Ricoh doesn’t have 150,000 of them in inventory.
01-28-2018, 05:50 AM - 1 Like   #249
Veteran Member

Probably I am not thinking out of the box enough, but besides the usual suspects (better sensor, bigger buffer, better AF), I can't imagine much that can be approved on the K-1. Now if they can come out with the K1 in a smaller and lighter form factor, that would be something (hey, I can think out of the box...) :-p
01-28-2018, 06:18 AM   #250
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
If the original Tweet is accurate, that could indicate the K-3-3 is further away hoped for by some.
...which kinda bites...
01-28-2018, 06:29 AM   #251
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxke Quote
I can't imagine much that can be approved on the K-1.
There is still room for software features. For example, it could have eye AF in live view mode for best focusing with fast primes. Could also have delay shutter for sharpness improvement when using primes.
01-28-2018, 06:31 AM   #252
Pentaxian

Also some more sophisticated autofocus adjustment features and modes would be nice.
01-28-2018, 06:57 AM   #253
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One other point to add is that Pentax like to pull a rabbit out of the hat and have something that is new or unexpected - that's the interesting bit probably, even if not always the deciding factor for a lot of people. Even an upgrade like the K-3ii had some substantial changes over the K-3, albeit mostly aimed at trialling stuff for the K-1.
01-28-2018, 07:22 AM   #254
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
One other point to add is that Pentax like to pull a rabbit out of the hat and have something that is new or unexpected - that's the interesting bit probably, even if not always the deciding factor for a lot of people. Even an upgrade like the K-3ii had some substantial changes over the K-3, albeit mostly aimed at trialling stuff for the K-1.
I definitely wanted a shot at Pixel Shift, and didn't consider a K-3II enough of an upgrade. The K-70 remained on the "interested in it" list for quite a while. The two things I was looking for were Pixle Shift and tilting back screen. Being able to get them while going full frame was bonus.

Now all I'm looking for is 10 FPS and a 300 shot buffer, tilting back screen and an incremental AF improvement on an APS-c camera.
01-28-2018, 08:16 AM   #255
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This is what I'm thinking, too.

The differences between the K5 and K5ii or the K3 and K3ii were like that -- no change in sensor resolution but a bunch of incremental upgrades in a lot of subsystems plus a new feature or two.
Closed Thread