QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
That's a gouda idea!
I'll make emmental note of that

02-01-2018, 02:17 AM   #392
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I will try to do so this evening when I'm not so phone-bound.
Sorry for the delay. Here's the Facebook post regarding a sale on the K-3 II;

??????? PENTAX K-3 II???????????... - ?????? (PENTAX by RICOH IMAGING) | Facebook

Hope that link works.

EDIT: It didn't work exactly as I would want. Scroll to their post from Jan 26th.
02-01-2018, 02:25 AM   #393
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sculptor666 Quote
rumors are: new crop camera, new full frame, new medium format.

release a new -close to 30mp- crop, and it cuts into ff sales
release a new -close to 50mp- ff and it cuts into 645 sales
release a new 645 and nothing for us mortals.

release them all at the same time, or all of the specs for on a new roadmap for the next 18 moths, everybody wins.
- I don't think people buy an FF sensor just for the MP count and a 30MP APSC sensor would require very expensive lenses to shine. On the opposite, people even buy modern 12 or 24MP FF no issue. Actually the most advanced FFs are all somewhat low pixel count.
- FF eat most of the 645z market already. Actually all major players have an FF camera that has enough pixels so that 645z does not shine thanks to its number of pixels... Be it Sony 42MP, Nikon 45MP or Canon 50MP, you don't buy a 645z for pixel count. How many pixels the new Pentax FF will have will not change anything on that topic... Except if they go very fa like 75Mp. This would be a game changer.
02-01-2018, 03:31 AM - 1 Like   #394
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
- I don't think people buy an FF sensor just for the MP count and a 30MP APSC sensor would require very expensive lenses to shine. On the opposite, people even buy modern 12 or 24MP FF no issue. Actually the most advanced FFs are all somewhat low pixel count.
- FF eat most of the 645z market already. Actually all major players have an FF camera that has enough pixels so that 645z does not shine thanks to its number of pixels... Be it Sony 42MP, Nikon 45MP or Canon 50MP, you don't buy a 645z for pixel count. How many pixels the new Pentax FF will have will not change anything on that topic... Except if they go very fa like 75Mp. This would be a game changer.
Medium format isn't big, but there is still money to be made there. Yes, it is expensive, but the pros and hobby-ists who shoot with it love it and are willing to pay pretty steep prices for it. The question is whether Pentax can generate revenue from medium format while only selling a few thousand cameras a year and the answer seems to be clearly yes.

In many ways, it is an easier market because most of the medium format cameras out there aren't specs monsters like in the full frame market. You can have middling auto focus, average frame rates, and sub-optimal video and still be the top of the heap in all of those categories. With Pentax sharing R and D between camera lines, it pushes the cost down as well.

02-01-2018, 03:37 AM - 1 Like   #395
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Then again, I could never be accused of being fashionable
I don't know - I think that Soviet space helmet is very on trend

(also agree about he chardonnay, btw)
02-01-2018, 06:26 AM - 3 Likes   #396
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Alright, if anyone actually has specs to leak, please create a new thread? I am leaving the people coaching from the rafters and the armchair quarterbacks, the bitter former brand lovers and the more regular trolls, the few rational brand defenders as well as the cheese mafia to do their things here. Unsubbed.
02-01-2018, 07:06 AM - 2 Likes   #397
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'll make emmental note of that
Until you get feta up with wheely cheesy jokes.

02-01-2018, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #398
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
cheese mafia
Wow.............................. That hurt.
02-01-2018, 08:55 AM   #399
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
i was only talking about new pentax vs new pentax.

i'm not saying it's just megapixels, but mp is waaaay more important than you're stating. if the k-1 was a 24mp camera, it would have been a catastrophic failure. if the 645z was 30mp, no one would buy it. most of 645z market was probably decided before k-1 was for sale... at the time, the best pentax camera was the k-3, and there is a very clear difference between 24 and 50... clear differences make easier decisions. i suspect this is why k-1ii rumors are surfacing on the eve of a k3iii(or whatever) release, and why 645ii rumors were talked about much more when the k-1 was released. or something.
02-01-2018, 11:34 AM - 2 Likes   #400
Veteran Member

Back on topic,
I heard a rumour the K1ii comes with a fondue attachment!
However the Battery isn’t big enough to power a wine chiller!
02-01-2018, 02:23 PM   #401
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sculptor666 Quote
i was only talking about new pentax vs new pentax.

i'm not saying it's just megapixels, but mp is waaaay more important than you're stating. if the k-1 was a 24mp camera, it would have been a catastrophic failure.
oh contraire mon ami, if it would have offered faster burst + bigger buffer and better AF instead of the megapixel craze,
at least all the people who own a K-1 now, would have bought that camera also, (because it still would have been the only digital FF Pentax body)
--- despite the fact that it would have attracted many newbees also with just a little bit advertising here and there.
(YES even NEWBIES buy FF cameras. PERIOD. That is a fact. If you believe it or not some people just have the money)
Those youngsters that are otherwise often attracted and fall for Sony A7 bodies or Nikon D750

and all the others who think 36mp is way too much and only bloats their LR-libs would have bought it too.
and since I guess that the hypothetical 24MP K-1 would also have offered Pixelshift, i guess many who bought it for Product Photography would also have grabbed one since you can blow up the actual resolution much better with pixelshifted 24mp pics to app. 30MP without loosing much ground compared to a pic with 36mp coming from a camera with low pass filter(D800 for instance)

PLUS all the people who dont think a week about buying a used K-30 for 100-200 bucks for their APS-C lenses or not
and
think a PENTAX FF flagship introduced to the market after 2015 should offer at least 4k video with decent bitrates and min. 8fps stills-burst...
... ah... i guess those would also have bought such a hypothetical camera.

lookin at our marketshare its clearly time to stop pussyfooting around and
RICOH clearly should take the sorcerers hat and pull out the real swag.
(and they should do it now and more often in the following time, or the brand will vanish from the market in app. 5 years.)

And there is also the possibility that we could have fished off many potential Canon 6D II buyers with such a (hypothetical) 24MP 4K capable FF pentax camera with 50 AF-Points...

That would have offered clearly way more than the 6DII does, now on the other hand what(if you leave out debatable SR and think about the keyword CORE-SPECIFICATIONS)
except MP would attract a potential Canon 6DII buyer to grab a (as actual is) K-1???

I mean the Canon has at least a 45-cross-type AF sensor points...(OK they messed up ISO capability on that one, but who uses ISO 12.800 anyway?)

READ >> Megapixels don't matter - Business Insider --- the article says pretty much everything there is to say, without touching the ground of pseudo-science.

But actually i dont really know why this hypothetical yadayada should matter in anyway... why did I... a forget it....
(jus anserin, cause i feel a problem in the logic of sayin something like "that would have been a catastrophic failure"... sounds a bit like a joke. but hey ...everyone throws in his own 2 cents)

Much more important:

Now its all about K-1 Mark II LEAKS...

C'mon RICOH! We gotta know!
spend us some dirty pic of the prototype or something alike. We're hungry!
02-01-2018, 03:56 PM   #402
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by credos4u Quote
(...)

Now its all about K-1 Mark II LEAKS...

C'mon RICOH! We gotta know!
spend us some dirty pic of the prototype or something alike. We're hungry!
The K-1 Mark II will look very much like the K-1.
02-01-2018, 04:01 PM - 3 Likes   #403
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
The K-1 Mark II will look very much like the K-1.
But it will have a "II" on it! (And in the grand Pentax tradition, maybe they'll move the green button again, just to keep us on our toes.)
02-01-2018, 05:32 PM   #404
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is exciting news, if real. I held off on getting a K1, but I think I'll splurge if a new one comes out. The K1 is an amazing camera, an incremental improvement on the design and man that'll be a great piece of kit.
02-01-2018, 08:43 PM - 2 Likes   #405
Veteran Member

They really need to get a decent AF system into the K-1 II and way more lenses. Or just convince Sigma and Tamron to add more to the K-Mount. I picked up a D750 so I could get access to the really good affordable Sigma and Tamron 150-600's that are available on those mounts plus all the other stuff. Bonus getting AF-C that works well.

If you want cool features to add just look at the OMD EM1 II. Sync autofocus (in body+lens combined) how about handheld shots 2-5 seconds that are sharp? Kind of makes low ISO at night easy. Livecomp, livebulb, focus stacking, buffering shots before the shutters pressed to capture moments. Those are all really cool features that Pentax could look at.

Livebulb and Livecomp are killer features on that platform. Lightning is a piece of cake with livecomp.

Pentax is great at adding the kitchen sink of features but Olympus is on fire right now in that regard. If Pentax did that it would stand out for being Full Frame as well.
Closed Thread