Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2018, 02:32 PM   #466
Veteran Member

As a K-1 user if Ricoh/Pentax only updated to UHS-II I would trade in my K-1 for a K-1 Markii.

02-05-2018, 03:25 PM   #467
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
As a K-1 user if Ricoh/Pentax only updated to UHS-II I would trade in my K-1 for a K-1 Markii.
That would be tempting but we would want to be sure the rest of saving and in-camera processing was also sped up.
02-05-2018, 03:32 PM   #468
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Supposing the IMX094 36Mp Sony sensor is EOL Pentax would need to negotiate purchase of a replacement sensor and spend time engineering the Pentax pixie dust on it. That alone (say using the 42Mp BSI sensor) would justify K-1 Super release. It would also push back the APSc flagship to fall release and 645y to late 2019 / early 2020.

New AF sensor or algo’s for PDAF on sensor would appear in all three formats.
02-05-2018, 06:54 PM   #469
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, looks like CP+ is going to have some form of camera announcement, either full frame or APS-C or both, but given the K3II has just been shown as discontinued in Japan, I think a big part of the APS-C puzzle will be answered shortly.

I've always felt in confounding the K3II had USB 3.0 and the K-1 didn't. I would think an improvement in this area is a must, and from what I can glean, absolutely necessary for any sort of decent tethering performance, and that seems a needed feature for a segment of the professional market I'd think the K-1 would like to tap into. Even without the tethering requirement, I'd like to have the faster USB. If we can assume a higher MP sensor, then it becomes even more needed.

02-05-2018, 11:31 PM - 3 Likes   #470
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
That alone (say using the 42Mp BSI sensor) would justify K-1 Super release.
Sony semiconductor having lost the 42Mp sensor business for the Nikon D850 (sensor designed by Tower Jazz) this creates a hole in budget, they may have allocate support and inventory to anyone willing to buy, Ricoh DSLR who would normally be low in the list might now be gaining some interest for the Sony exec. responsible for the 42Mp FF line.
02-06-2018, 12:15 AM   #471

I like your thinking Biz-engineer. A K1 Mk2 was not expected by the Pentax followers on this forum (or anybody else?) so it quite possibly has resulted from an unexpected shift in the market ie Nikon going elsewhere for the sensor for the D850. Sony would need production volumes to reduce the unit cost for the sensors for their own cameras and quite possibly Pentax can help?? I also wonder if the mooted FF mirrorless cameras coming soon from Nikon might be altering the Nikon/Sony relationship??
02-06-2018, 12:24 AM   #472
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Actually, and following Biz-engineer thinking: Nikon shopping more and more elsewhere may entice Sony to get RI either better deals or more advanced Sensors which would have otherwise gone to Nikon.

We'd all like that afaict.

Now better imaging pipeline and we're set

02-06-2018, 02:04 AM - 1 Like   #473
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote

No, not confirmed.
There is no hint of mark II on the Ricoh website.
Ricoh says - PENTAX K-1(TBD)- it means To Be Determined
It means it's new K-1's version
02-06-2018, 03:26 AM   #474
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Ricoh says - PENTAX K-1(TBD)- it means To Be Determined
It means it's new K-1's version
Actually they do not say so.

What you translate by TBD, 仮, is at the end of the last line, after "Nature snaps" and between brackets, whilst "Shooting with the Pentax K-1" is the line above. The first line is the photographer's name

QuoteOriginally posted by Ricoh Imaging:
小林義明氏
PENTAX K-1で撮る
ネイチャースナップ(仮)
What is still to be confirmed is the type of photographs to be presented and commented during this specific workshop (nature snapshots or something else), not the camera used to take them (Pentax K-1).
02-06-2018, 03:36 AM - 1 Like   #475
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Well, looks like CP+ is going to have some form of camera announcement, either full frame or APS-C or both, but given the K3II has just been shown as discontinued in Japan, I think a big part of the APS-C puzzle will be answered shortly.

I've always felt in confounding the K3II had USB 3.0 and the K-1 didn't. I would think an improvement in this area is a must, and from what I can glean, absolutely necessary for any sort of decent tethering performance, and that seems a needed feature for a segment of the professional market I'd think the K-1 would like to tap into. Even without the tethering requirement, I'd like to have the faster USB. If we can assume a higher MP sensor, then it becomes even more needed.
I think it just says that the K-1 was in the works quite awhile before the K3 was thought of. The K-1 was released in 2016, but it probably was started at least a couple of years before that. Often you end up sticking with a little older parts either because that's what you started off with or because you are building a camera to a specific price point (1800 dollars) and you don't want to add anything that will tip it above 2000.
02-06-2018, 03:39 AM   #476
Pentaxian

This is an other translation:
QuoteOriginally posted by http://itest.5ch.net/test/read.cgi/dcamera/1517198683/29:
In the event guide from the phrase pro-
I there is a "PENTAX K-1 Nature snap to take in the Mark II"

wonder of what can really second generation K-1 is

This just looks like a speculative posting to me.
02-06-2018, 03:48 AM   #477
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think it just says that the K-1 was in the works quite awhile before the K3 was thought of. The K-1 was released in 2016, but it probably was started at least a couple of years before that.
IIRC the Ricoh folk acknowledged as much in the PF interview - they were too far down the line with USB2 to change when USB3 became available.
02-06-2018, 08:45 AM - 4 Likes   #478
Veteran Member

Something is going on...Tic Tac...Who said Pentax is doomed?
02-06-2018, 09:06 AM - 1 Like   #479
Pentaxian

"Tic Tac" is the sound before explosion rather than doom.
02-06-2018, 09:19 AM - 3 Likes   #480
Pentaxian

Closed Thread