Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 622 Likes Search this Thread
02-06-2018, 09:25 AM   #481
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Supposing the IMX094 36Mp Sony sensor is EOL Pentax would need to negotiate purchase of a replacement sensor and spend time engineering the Pentax pixie dust on it. That alone (say using the 42Mp BSI sensor) would justify K-1 Super release. It would also push back the APSc flagship to fall release and 645y to late 2019 / early 2020.

New AF sensor or algo’s for PDAF on sensor would appear in all three formats.
Pentax may still be committed to buy 36MP sensors from Sony for the time being. I don't see the EOL as long as D750 and Co. are still around with smaller pixel count. Keeping the sensor, but upgrading camera speed and features sounds more reasonable than going for a new sensor in a MkII. A 45MP camera costs twice as much as our current K1. Yes, Pentax would move closer to the big boys w.r.t. pixel count, but they need more than pixels. A 45MP K1 would also get into 645 territory. I do not dislike the idea of a 45MP K1ii, but I do not see it. All I want is great lenses.

02-06-2018, 10:04 AM   #482
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Pentax may still be committed to buy 36MP sensors from Sony for the time being. I don't see the EOL as long as D750 and Co. are still around with smaller pixel count. Keeping the sensor, but upgrading camera speed and features sounds more reasonable than going for a new sensor in a MkII. A 45MP camera costs twice as much as our current K1. Yes, Pentax would move closer to the big boys w.r.t. pixel count, but they need more than pixels. A 45MP K1 would also get into 645 territory. I do not dislike the idea of a 45MP K1ii, but I do not see it. All I want is great lenses.
If the did what you are suggesting and kept the same sensor then they would be competing against the aging D810. which the K-1 already does. Unless there is a newer 36 MP sensor to be seen, with improved high iso and speed, which is possible too. I dont see Sony putting the top of the line 42MP sensor in the lower A7 series so maybe they have an updated 36MP FF sensor. That might be cool. I'm sure that I'm getting my hopes up as always, best to just keep it real and be patient.
02-06-2018, 10:44 AM   #483

Official Ricoh/Pentax FB page in Czech Republic said, that they quit selling Pentax K1.
As Kenspo wrote, it seems to me, something is going to happen.
02-06-2018, 11:05 AM   #484
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
So Ricoh has to launch a K-1 II and a K-2 at CP+ if they are going to discontinue the K-1 and have discontinued the K-3 II.

02-06-2018, 11:19 AM   #485

It looks like the 36MP sensor is EOL, would be interesting to see if Nikon discontinue the D810 as well. Otherwise I see many reasons to continue the K1 as an entry level FF cam.
02-06-2018, 11:21 AM - 1 Like   #486
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A K-1 replacement may be needed in order to give big enough room in the line-up for a K-3 replacement......
02-06-2018, 11:40 AM - 2 Likes   #487
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Odd situation this - well, maybe not so odd - I've been here before: I'm excited about a new FF from Pentax, but I have no intention (read finances ) of buying it. I suppose.like a lot of us here, I want to see Pentax releasing increasingly great products - not just because that's the best insurance for current investment levels, but also it's like a football team that you've supported through long lean years suddenly looking like real premiership contenders again

02-06-2018, 12:15 PM   #488
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Odd situation this - well, maybe not so odd - I've been here before: I'm excited about a new FF from Pentax, but I have no intention (read finances ) of buying it. I suppose.like a lot of us here, I want to see Pentax releasing increasingly great products - not just because that's the best insurance for current investment levels, but also it's like a football team that you've supported through long lean years suddenly looking like real premiership contenders again
That's exactly where I'm at, Graham. I want to see new APS-C and full-frame flagships from Pentax, and I'd love for them to build on the success of the K-1... but I have no intention of upgrading from what I have
02-06-2018, 12:42 PM   #489
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Either would need to be an order of magnitude improvement to justify turning over a K-1 and/or KP. kenspo is not as clear on this subject as some think. Tic Toc - something is coming. I bet we’re missing it completely.
02-06-2018, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #490
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Either would need to be an order of magnitude improvement to justify turning over a K-1 and/or KP.
But only marginally better to replace them in the line for new sales. Not all sales, especially on the K-1, are going to be from 'body churn'.

I used to eagerly await each new body because I could tell there were limitations. But the K-3II is as good as I need for APS-C and the K-1 is far better than I need for FF. So no matter how amazing these new bodies are, I am not a customer. But I am very, very happy for those that are.
02-06-2018, 01:24 PM   #491
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
But only marginally better to replace them in the line for new sales. Not all sales, especially on the K-1, are going to be from 'body churn'.

I used to eagerly await each new body because I could tell there were limitations. But the K-3II is as good as I need for APS-C and the K-1 is far better than I need for FF. So no matter how amazing these new bodies are, I am not a customer. But I am very, very happy for those that are.
I agree for myself, but if they don’t plan to sell to existing K-mount owners how will they attract those ‘new buyers’?

I’m more interested in using my K-1 as a field camera with legacy manual lenses anyway, aside from the FA Limiteds. If a flagship APSc later this year did something new (e.g. new AF sensor) and that’s what’s taking the time then they should perhaps suggest it.
02-06-2018, 01:26 PM - 3 Likes   #492
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Tic Toc - something is coming. I bet we’re missing it completely.
Tic toc... clock... "Hickory Dickory Dock, the mouse ran up the clock"... a mouse is small... so, it's a small camera...

Woohoo! They're going to release a new Pentax Q!!

Either that, or they're giving away Pentax-branded desk clocks at CP+...
02-06-2018, 01:27 PM   #493
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think something is definitely coming but what? Look back through the threads and check out who is being quiet about the subject. That's usually a good indication that something is going down.
02-06-2018, 01:28 PM   #494
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
So no matter how amazing these new bodies are
They have to be amazing to "catch up" what is currently available or to surpass what the "others" are doing.

I'm hoping that theres some features that are innovative but the interesting thing will be PRICE!One thing for sure RI would like to be getting similar $$$$ for bodies that can directly compete.Then comes the challenge for them to appeal to a market beyond the current user base.RI might have to do some "marketing"!
02-06-2018, 01:36 PM   #495
Pentaxian

I agree for myself, but if they don’t plan to sell to existing K-mount owners how will they attract those ‘new buyers’?
And how would they attract those 'new buyers' if they don't release a K-1 Mk II?

Be it a K-1 or a minor update, at this point it's mostly sold to non-K-1 owners - I'd venture to guess. Perhaps a minor update improving one or two annoying things would make that easier, while not being costly to develop.
Or maybe it's not a minor update.
Closed Thread