Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2018, 01:50 AM - 1 Like   #556
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Ironically, that might not be too bad for sales in a small market - people who are serious about what they do are always looking to buy and edge for the exclusivity the extra cost gives them. After decades of being perceived as a value brand rather than a premium brand that might be difficult, but it looks like the direction of travel - even if it requires a slightly different user base.
My prediction for this K1II: it will not be more than 10% above K1 pricewise. Not long time to go and we will know.

02-08-2018, 03:37 AM   #557
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
My prediction for this K1II: it will not be more than 10% above K1 pricewise. Not long time to go and we will know.
I suppose that comes down to how big an upgrade it is - that's difficult to double-guess, and there are a lot of contradictory rumours coming through. I'm not one of those who thinks that all speculation is pointless, as it helps us to firm up our ideas and be more ready to make a decision when the product arrives, but yes, we will know a lot more in a few weeks, whether or not that includes the launch price - and that is exciting in itself
02-08-2018, 06:50 AM - 1 Like   #558
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I suppose that comes down to how big an upgrade it is - that's difficult to double-guess, and there are a lot of contradictory rumours coming through. I'm not one of those who thinks that all speculation is pointless, as it helps us to firm up our ideas and be more ready to make a decision when the product arrives, but yes, we will know a lot more in a few weeks, whether or not that includes the launch price - and that is exciting in itself
I agree. This is just my inference from the different bits here and there. It might be wrong, but I have some trust in it. And, as far as I agree that some speculation might be useful, I still think that quite often in Pentaxland expectations tend to be set to high and perfectly well balanced products are getting a lukewarm welcome.
Therefore, let's keep it all within sane reasoning and have some fun with speculations, but the final wording will be known when it will be known, soonish
02-08-2018, 06:59 AM   #559
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
I still think that quite often in Pentaxland expectations tend to be set to high and perfectly well balanced products are getting a lukewarm welcome.
I'm with you on that, definitely

02-08-2018, 07:19 AM   #560
Pentaxian

I guess the most likely K-1 Mk II is a minor update, like the K-3 II. It's too early for a major update, and Ricoh Imaging said the K-1 would have a longer product life. At most, a few things they wanted to implement but couldn't get ready.
I try not to hope for more... but it's difficult.

(And yes, I do believe they're working on a more advanced APS-C flagship/camera platform in the meanwhile).
02-08-2018, 08:02 AM - 2 Likes   #561
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I guess the most likely K-1 Mk II is a minor update, like the K-3 II. It's too early for a major update, and Ricoh Imaging said the K-1 would have a longer product life. At most, a few things they wanted to implement but couldn't get ready.
I try not to hope for more... but it's difficult.

(And yes, I do believe they're working on a more advanced APS-C flagship/camera platform in the meanwhile).
Think for a moment.

They’re working on

flagship replacement in
APSc
FF

High Enthusiast APSc
High Entry APSc
Fixed Lens Enthusiast (GR)

Lens Roadmap in three platforms

At some level, MILC

The issue is they’re a comparatively tiny company, using cash flow to do all this, so they can’t do it all at once. If Sony made a FF 645 sensor known two years ago for release in 2018, work on 645 slows work on something else. If Sony sunsets IMX094 36Mp FF sensor, necessary work on a replacement K-1 slows work on something else. If there are known new releases from Sony in APSc coming later this year - and or something new from Socionext - work on K-3 replacement is a logical place to slow down while 645 and FF is ramped up. Further, they can spend time working on a new AF sensor or a dedicated AF processor for later inclusion in a K-3 replacement. GR has to be in there somewhere. Lenses have to be in there somewhere. Progress to a point on image processing pipeline can be tested (and cash flowed) in K-70 and a one-off KP.

It all makes sense if we remember how small Pentax really is.

PentaxIsBoomed!TM

Last edited by monochrome; 02-08-2018 at 08:46 AM.
02-08-2018, 08:43 AM - 2 Likes   #562
Pentaxian

Monochrome, you're describing precisely why I don't expect more, why I don't expect a major update of the K-1 so soon.
Small as they are, their best effort will be enough for me.
02-08-2018, 08:58 AM - 1 Like   #563
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If you look at historical "mark 2" updates from Pentax, they have been minor and mainly focused on image quality / related features. So I'd expect something like that from the K-1 II.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-08-2018, 08:59 AM   #564
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Think for a moment.

They’re working on

flagship replacement in
APSc
FF

High Enthusiast APSc
High Entry APSc
Fixed Lens Enthusiast (GR)

Lens Roadmap in three platforms

At some level, MILC

The issue is they’re a comparatively tiny company, using cash flow to do all this, so they can’t do it all at once. If Sony made a FF 645 sensor known two years ago for release in 2018, work on 645 slows work on something else. If Sony sunsets IMX094 36Mp FF sensor, necessary work on a replacement K-1 slows work on something else. If there are known new releases from Sony in APSc coming later this year - and or something new from Socionext - work on K-3 replacement is a logical place to slow down while 645 and FF is ramped up. Further, they can spend time working on a new AF sensor or a dedicated AF processor for later inclusion in a K-3 replacement. GR has to be in there somewhere. Lenses have to be in there somewhere. Progress to a point on image processing pipeline can be tested (and cash flowed) in K-70 and a one-off KP.

It all makes sense if we remember how small Pentax really is.

PentaxIsBoomed!TM
I think that they will combine R and D for these cameras and have the same algorithms for auto focus for the cameras. Obviously there will be some differences in the focus array set up, although they could probably use the same one on the K-1 II and 645Y. My bet would be on a step wise improvement over past cameras, nothing ground breaking.

As far as stuff like video, they can outsource Codecs for that and license parts they don't have expertise in. But my big take away is that Pentax saves money by spreading R and D costs over several models.
02-08-2018, 09:38 AM   #565
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you look at historical "mark 2" updates from Pentax, they have been minor and mainly focused on image quality / related feature
67ii ?

As I see it, it's definitely early for a major upgrade, but if one has been forced on them by the sensor being discontinued or whatever, as has been speculated, then it could happen - especially as the K-1 was released 'late'. The real giveaway is how much credence to put in rumours that the K-1 is being discontinued - if it is, the the logic is that it is a minor update replacing the K-1 - a major upgrade could run in parallel with an 'entry-level' K-1, although it wouldn't be called K-1ii
02-08-2018, 09:50 AM   #566
Pentaxian

The last times a "mark II" did change maximum 1-5 parts in the whole camera (flash --> GPS; AA-filter --> none; new AF lens) and added some new firmware. So even if they just used a new sensor and kept absolutely everything else the same that would be comparatively big.

And rumors from a dealer suggest the new pirce will not exceed 2500 EUR either.
02-08-2018, 10:05 AM   #567
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

just curious... is there a relationship between K-1 mk2 and the upcoming DFA 50?
02-08-2018, 10:31 AM   #568
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
just curious... is there a relationship between K-1 mk2 and the upcoming DFA 50?
I'm not sure anyone here knows for sure, but the timing may not be a coincidence.
02-08-2018, 10:55 AM   #569
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think that they will combine R and D for these cameras and have the same algorithms for auto focus for the cameras. Obviously there will be some differences in the focus array set up, although they could probably use the same one on the K-1 II and 645Y. My bet would be on a step wise improvement over past cameras, nothing ground breaking.

As far as stuff like video, they can outsource Codecs for that and license parts they don't have expertise in. But my big take away is that Pentax saves money by spreading R and D costs over several models.
I agree - that ‘s well demonstrated since K-7. My sub-take is if there should be a new in-house component such as a PDAF AF sensor, dedicated processor (Image Processor?; AF Processor?, IBIS technology?) they tend to introduce those in a higher volume APSc product and re-use them in FF and 645. ‘Working on’ also means sourcing components and doing design and software (and manufacturing process) engineering to make all the components work together - and make a profit - at a saleable end-user price.
02-08-2018, 11:00 AM - 1 Like   #570
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Monochrome, you're describing precisely why I don't expect more, why I don't expect a major update of the K-1 so soon.
Small as they are, their best effort will be enough for me.
I don’t either, really, except that it was delayed a year by earthquakes and screaming success of 645z (all 645 all the time). Who knows what Ricoh’s long term product planning calendar was or when K-1 was first greenlighted?
Closed Thread