Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2018, 04:06 AM - 2 Likes   #46
Veteran Member

If Pentax shall have the slightest chance of breaking into the pro world, they need to make something more appealing..By that I mean to other then landscape and studio photographers. They are aware of this, but if they do something about it, I have no idea

01-26-2018, 04:14 AM - 1 Like   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
It wouldn’t really be so strange to see a K-1 successor in 2018. The K-1 was announced in Feb 2016, but it had been delayed from Oct 2015. It’s quute a long time.
The only thing is that the K3ii is even older - so, unless they've decided that the KP is it's successor after all, then an upgraded APS-C - for which they already have a more complete lens lineup, including a new one coming - would seem more logical - there are certainly more people waiting for it!

Unless they do a Nikon and announce two flagships at the same time
01-26-2018, 04:16 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Unless a new APS-C flagship is more complicated to make, thus taking more time.
01-26-2018, 04:20 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Unless a new APS-C flagship is more complicated to make,
Which would make the FF a minor upgrade which wouldn't attract many sales, as far as I can see... ?

01-26-2018, 04:21 AM   #50

If they release this instead of a K3 replacement, it's almost like abandoning the performance APS market, unless the crop mode and AF performance qualify it as a hybrid top APS/FF camera, 2in1 kind of. Buy a good FF, get a top quality/performance APS.....
It's quite a stretch pricewise, though. Not even counting lenses...
Maybe, like someone suggested, they're going premium, and decided that APS is limited to just quality, not performance, cameras, and performance APS becomes performance FF-crop mode. Crazy idea, but in a world where people like to brag about how much they paid, and status is king, who knows?
Holding off any kind of purchase until any camera anouncement is made by Pentax/Ricoh...
01-26-2018, 04:23 AM - 2 Likes   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There will also be a K-3 line replacement. Don't worry.
01-26-2018, 04:23 AM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Which would make the FF a minor upgrade which wouldn't attract many sales, as far as I can see... ?
Who knows... I'm saying there might be reasons to release another FF before an APS-C flagship, even though the latter is sorely needed.
I don't like to speculate, while having no information. Even just the price, which would give a hint about the product's positioning. In about a month we should start seeing more serious leaks.

01-26-2018, 04:48 AM - 1 Like   #53
Veteran Member

At this point, I’d say dodgy rumour.

Who is going to buy this new camera? The K1 must have sated the market among Pentax owners for some years. Sales to those new to Pentax would seem too modest to add up.

A new FF camera and no mention of a top-class APS-C camera would risk hacking off all those enthusiast folks who don’t want an FF camera. They want to stay on APS-C. They are by far the bulk of Pentax owners and if they start leaving then who will buy future bodies and all those lenses? It would be volume out the window.

Plus, 2018 may turn out to be a year of huge mirrorless hype, with Canon and Nikon going all in and with Sigma and Tamron switching a chunk of their production over to new mirrorless mounts. Pretty tiresome I realise but also a tricky time for DSLRs. There’s nothing in the info to suggest any new camera won’t be a traditional DSLR.

We’ll see. Right now, it seems too soon to be doing a K1 successor unless for some reason this has been forced on Ricoh. Sony discontinued the 36 mpx sensor, for example.

I guess it could be a leak of plans for a launch in fall this year or spring next year, with APS-C to come in the meantime. That might make more sense. Gives them more time to get some more FF lenses lined up, too.

Last edited by mecrox; 01-26-2018 at 04:56 AM.
01-26-2018, 04:52 AM   #54
Pentaxian

Whatever, looks like Pentax presents more cameras per year than lenses...

Silver model is out, so a K1ii is on the horizon.
01-26-2018, 05:00 AM - 1 Like   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
(...)

I guess it could be a leak of plans for a launch in fall this year or spring next year, with APS-C to come in the meantime. That might make more sense. Gives them more time to get some more FF lenses lined up, too.
It might be worth taking into account that Nokishita Camera are writing 「PENTAX K-1 Mark II」 (a quote 「」 of something written in English) and not ペンタックスK-1 II. Their source is therefore either non-Japanese or, if Japanese, an elaborated marketing document. The camera announcement and launch could therefore be much earlier than what you are thinking.
01-26-2018, 05:05 AM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Plus, 2018 may turn out to be a year of huge mirrorless hype, with Canon and Nikon going all in
Perhaps a good reason to be different? There are many people still liking optical viewfinders...
01-26-2018, 05:06 AM - 1 Like   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
It might be worth taking into account that Nokishita Camera are writing 「PENTAX K-1 Mark II」 and not ペンタックスK-1 II. Their source is therefore either non-Japanese or, if Japanese, an elaborated marketing document. The camera announcement and launch could therefore be much earlier than what you are thinking.
Sure. It could be next week. I’m just wondering about the thinking behind it, namely who would buy such a camera at this point in time. How many folks on this forum would spring for it? Some have only just purchased their K1. There are all kinds of hoaxes and dodgy rumours out there, after all.
01-26-2018, 05:06 AM - 2 Likes   #58
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
That's us...
New FF rumour and people moan.
01-26-2018, 05:11 AM   #59
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Btw, with stupidly low price from a couple weeks on Amazon for K-1 (around 1600€), I wondered if a markII was around the corner.

Seems it was it.
Big price difference like these always smell replacement.
01-26-2018, 05:12 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
That's us...
New FF rumour and people moan.
I’m not moaning, in fact. Just nosing around. What happens is what happens but more info is needed, tbh. New FF rumour and everyone takes it as gospel fact then goes ballistic when it turns out to be a hoax would be far more disturbing, although maybe far more interesting too from some angles
Closed Thread