Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2018, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #601
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 10,648
No problem. Most people don't get what I'm saying anyway.

---------- Post added 09-02-18 at 04:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Yepp..They are TIGHT on whats leaking out. Im the last loose canon left
They're simply too intimidated to stop you

02-09-2018, 08:22 AM - 28 Likes   #602
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 18,058
I have to say that Pentaxians relationship with Pentax reminds me of a Grandfather driving his grandchildren on vacation. They are in the back seat yelling periodically, "Are we there yet? Are we there yet?" While he silently drives at 35 miles per hour towards a place that they are really going to like. The combination of the Grandfather's silence and his slow driving slowly drives his grandchildren crazy.

The analogy is not perfect, but certainly the things that bother us the most are the lack of communication combined with a slow rate of change.
02-09-2018, 08:24 AM   #603
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 10,648
Not perfect? I fit that remark perfectly!
I'm using every ounce of willpower not to flood the forums with: "Are we there yet, Pentax?".
02-09-2018, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #604
Senior Member
troenaas's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Norway
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 149
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I have to say that Pentaxians relationship with Pentax reminds me of a Grandfather driving his grandchildren on vacation. They are in the back seat yelling periodically, "Are we there yet? Are we there yet?" While he silently drives at 35 miles per hour towards a place that they are really going to like. The combination of the Grandfather's silence and his slow driving slowly drives his grandchildren crazy.

The analogy is not perfect, but certainly the things that bother us the most are the lack of communication combined with a slow rate of change.
The best remark I've read on this forum in ages....... :-)

02-09-2018, 08:57 AM - 2 Likes   #605
Pentaxian
photoptimist's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2016
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,357
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I have to say that Pentaxians relationship with Pentax reminds me of a Grandfather driving his grandchildren on vacation. They are in the back seat yelling periodically, "Are we there yet? Are we there yet?" While he silently drives at 35 miles per hour towards a place that they are really going to like. The combination of the Grandfather's silence and his slow driving slowly drives his grandchildren crazy.

The analogy is not perfect, but certainly the things that bother us the most are the lack of communication combined with a slow rate of change.
Delightful and so true!

But perhaps the grandfather's silence reflects the fact that the grandfather does not actually know the distance to the destination nor whether the road around the bend is icy, dry, or under construction.

Making a brand-new camera or lens with new, higher-performance features is not like driving a well-worn path to a well know place. Instead, it's a journey into the unknown for both the grandfather and grandchildren. As such, the grandfather is silent because to communicate anything would be to create false hopes that are worse than saying nothing.
02-09-2018, 09:01 AM   #606
Pentaxian
bobbotron's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ottawa, ON
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,249
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I have to say that Pentaxians relationship with Pentax reminds me of a Grandfather driving his grandchildren on vacation. They are in the back seat yelling periodically, "Are we there yet? Are we there yet?" While he silently drives at 35 miles per hour towards a place that they are really going to like. The combination of the Grandfather's silence and his slow driving slowly drives his grandchildren crazy.

The analogy is not perfect, but certainly the things that bother us the most are the lack of communication combined with a slow rate of change.
This is a great analogy, love it.
02-09-2018, 09:03 AM   #607
Resident fiddler
Loyal Site Supporter
LensBeginner's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,441
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Good one
But most might not get it I'm afraid.
I did...
02-09-2018, 09:10 AM   #608
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,476
Bookmarked.

02-09-2018, 09:22 AM   #609
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,540
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I have to say that Pentaxians relationship with Pentax reminds me of a Grandfather driving his grandchildren on vacation. They are in the back seat yelling periodically, "Are we there yet? Are we there yet?" While he silently drives at 35 miles per hour towards a place that they are really going to like. The combination of the Grandfather's silence and his slow driving slowly drives his grandchildren crazy.

The analogy is not perfect, but certainly the things that bother us the most are the lack of communication combined with a slow rate of change.
Perfectomundo!
02-09-2018, 09:40 AM   #610
Pentaxian
MadMathMind's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,690
QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
If their happy with the existing lens selection, then there is no reason not to recomend a K1ii. The FA limiteds can still take better photos than most modern primes, especially when a lot of CA has a one click solution. And donít forget they come with stabilisation and pixel shift. If these new primes deliver Otus like quality that would just add to the appeal!
The point is that the platform is exactly where it was 2 years ago when it was released. It sends the message of "Don't expect anything else to come out" to the consumers. Right now, Pentax is saying "Hey, we have these 15+ year old lenses as our top stock for this fancy camera and that's all we have....and will have, or so it seems."

Let's look at Fuji's medium format debut. It came out almost exactly a year ago and has all this:

GFX | Fujifilm Global

That's way more development than we've seen for the K-1 in half the time. Fuji doesn't have some magically enormous marketshare either. A friend of mine had the 645Z and sold out of it. While he loved the camera, he had no confidence in Pentax's roadmap and found Fuji's plans to be more promising and more likely to deliver. THAT's the problem.
02-09-2018, 10:11 AM   #611
Pentaxian
Mistral75's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Paris
Posts: 3,380
QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
(...)

That's way more development than we've seen for the K-1 in half the time. Fuji doesn't have some magically enormous marketshare either. (...)
Fujifilm's Electronic Imaging division of their Imaging Solutions segment, the division that is made of the Fujifilm X cameras (including the medium format GFX) and their lenses, was 2.4 times bigger than Ricoh's Smart Vision in 2016 and 4.6 times bigger in 2017.

Fujifilm's Imaging Solution segment also includes the Photo Imaging division: films, photosensitive papers, on-demand photo printing activities and, above all, the Instax ecosystem, the cash cow of the Imaging Solution segment. This division is 2.9 times bigger than their Imaging Solutions division and 13.5 times bigger than Ricoh's Smart Vision.

The 2017 9-month operating profit of the whole Fujifilm's Imaging Solution segment is 3.6 times bigger than the sales of Ricoh's Smart Vision.

Operating profit on Fujifilm's side, sales on Ricoh's side, the former being 3.6 times bigger than the latter: that gives quite a leverage to spend some sensible money on the development of cameras and lenses!
02-09-2018, 10:30 AM - 1 Like   #612
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Nevada, USA
Posts: 493
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
As such, the grandfather is silent because to communicate anything would be to create false hopes that are worse than saying nothing.
Besides, grandfather speaks in a language that the kids - at least the noisiest and most impatient ones - don't understand.
02-09-2018, 10:31 AM - 1 Like   #613
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 893
I felt when Ricoh/Pentax launched the K-1 they left it with a simple upgrade path for them going with UHS-I. I felt when first seeing the K-1 under the case at PhotoPlus NYC 2015 that UHS-I wasn't going to be enough to handle a 36mp sensor. I wasn't so sure about the LCD mechanism either seeing it up close.

After buying a K-1 it was clear to me the K-1 really needs UHS-II. The camera sensor and processor buffer etc are only as fast as it can all be written to storage. UHS-I is a real bottleneck to writing the large files to storage. I have heard comments like the buffer doesn't clear fast enough. UHS-II would clear the buffer at the very least twice as fast. So instead of taking 10 seconds to clear it takes 5 seconds. Things like using pixel-shift. From start to finish the process takes a good 3 to 5 seconds. The majority of that time is writing the file to storage which would also be done twice as fast.

The LCD mechanism has really impressed me.

I like the idea of Ricoh/Pentax creating an LXD & MXD interchangeable viewfinder full frame system. LXD geared towards Professionals. The MXD will be the new high end APS-C camera(K-3II size) only full frame. The interchangeable viewfinders will bring both traditional OVF and EVF mirrorless use in one body. This really opens up the possibilities of ultra wide XS lenses used with an EVF in mirrorless mode.

APS-C should be filled by a KP type traditional SLR and the GR. They should share the same battery etc so they function together as the ultimate small kit travel companion set.

I always felt the Q should have been Mirco43 mount and sensor. The Q lenses roadmap could have sold in an established Micro43 market. It also would have given users of other brands another access point to Pentax without having to "switch" systems.
02-09-2018, 11:03 AM   #614
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,476
Shame you areníy Head of product planning with a liberal budget at your disposal. I like the idea of cropping my DA Limiteds on my K-1; I have mode n FF zooms, my legacy manual lenses and also my KP. For me anyway the future is bright.
QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
I felt when Ricoh/Pentax launched the K-1 they left it with a simple upgrade path for them going with UHS-I. I felt when first seeing the K-1 under the case at PhotoPlus NYC 2015 that UHS-I wasn't going to be enough to handle a 36mp sensor. I wasn't so sure about the LCD mechanism either seeing it up close.

After buying a K-1 it was clear to me the K-1 really needs UHS-II. The camera sensor and processor buffer etc are only as fast as it can all be written to storage. UHS-I is a real bottleneck to writing the large files to storage. I have heard comments like the buffer doesn't clear fast enough. UHS-II would clear the buffer at the very least twice as fast. So instead of taking 10 seconds to clear it takes 5 seconds. Things like using pixel-shift. From start to finish the process takes a good 3 to 5 seconds. The majority of that time is writing the file to storage which would also be done twice as fast.

The LCD mechanism has really impressed me.

I like the idea of Ricoh/Pentax creating an LXD & MXD interchangeable viewfinder full frame system. LXD geared towards Professionals. The MXD will be the new high end APS-C camera(K-3II size) only full frame. The interchangeable viewfinders will bring both traditional OVF and EVF mirrorless use in one body. This really opens up the possibilities of ultra wide XS lenses used with an EVF in mirrorless mode.

APS-C should be filled by a KP type traditional SLR and the GR. They should share the same battery etc so they function together as the ultimate small kit travel companion set.

I always felt the Q should have been Mirco43 mount and sensor. The Q lenses roadmap could have sold in an established Micro43 market. It also would have given users of other brands another access point to Pentax without having to "switch" systems.
02-09-2018, 11:29 AM   #615
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,377
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
My problem is not lack of recognition, it's inability to make it happen - it must be specific to lenses I don't have, such as the 28-105 (I've only got an old FA version)
The problem of acknowledging shutter shock on K1 is if someone want to sell the K1 second hand.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
announced, apsc, body, camera, cant, ff, glass, ii, information, k-1, k-1 mark, k-3, k1, k3, kp, line, mark, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, pentax to sony, people, photography, photos, resolution, rumor, sensor, stage, version
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax K3 ii vs Canon 5D mark ii mogge Welcomes and Introductions 49 03-27-2016 02:39 AM
两部K-r,月内新机,全部出现反光板乱跳问题! anna Pentax DSLR Discussion 3 09-27-2011 11:35 AM
My God! 'Independent Lens'-- Mark Hogencamp Ira Photographic Technique 27 05-06-2011 08:32 AM
a discussion on god... god i was bored.. Gooshin General Talk 9 02-11-2010 01:01 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:18 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top