Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 622 Likes Search this Thread
02-12-2018, 01:32 PM   #706
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
They will need the new 4k 30p milbeaut. That is not a problem, it has been out for ages. Nor is increasing the camera writing speed if they do. But the 42mp sensor has so far only been in Sony camera's and it is not on the third party list. Products Line up for Camera Image Sensor for Camera | Sony Semiconductor Solutions Corporation The imx094 is still on there though so maybe it will be in the K1 II after all. Worst case scenario would be a 24mp sensor. Would be good for the market value of used k-1's though .
I would think a K-1 Super (an intermediate release) would intentionally address shortcomings such as UHS that are not 1st tier spec on K-1 because Pentax was too far along in design when the standard changed. Likely cost for many components has declined enough that things like buffer, write speed and other bottlenecks can be improved without dramatically raising the price. Adding the KP / K-70 dedicated image co-processor can also help. Could be a very interesting camera.

Of course an improved AF sensor and algo’s would be great.

.:

02-12-2018, 02:59 PM - 5 Likes   #707
Pentaxian

Don't be too demanding and you won't be disappointed.
02-12-2018, 03:23 PM   #708
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Historically, when Pentax changed the sensor specifications, it was for a new model. I don't believe one second that a Pentax K1 II would have other than 36Mpixels sensor , and not even UHS II card slots because that would mean the buffer couldn't support the data rate. What could be for a mark II, would be a few additional software based features or very minor mechanical change such as removing or adding a part.
02-12-2018, 03:43 PM - 1 Like   #709
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Whatever, a II means a I has to go down in price 😁

02-12-2018, 03:51 PM   #710
Veteran Member

36MP would make sense if it brings ISO64 to the table like D810 did. That would be superb.
02-12-2018, 04:35 PM - 1 Like   #711
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Historically, when Pentax changed the sensor specifications, it was for a new model. I don't believe one second that a Pentax K1 II would have other than 36Mpixels sensor , and not even UHS II card slots because that would mean the buffer couldn't support the data rate. What could be for a mark II, would be a few additional software based features or very minor mechanical change such as removing or adding a part.
You may be correct, I certainly dont know. However they can't really go lower than K-1. I guess they could do K-0 but that's dumb. Could do K-2 but is that a higher or lower spec camera, that's confusing too. Maybe all FF pentax dslr's will have to be K-1 something from now on.
02-12-2018, 04:46 PM   #712
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Don't be too demanding and you won't be disappointed.
Nope. Not me. Subjunctive is the rule of the day.

02-12-2018, 06:44 PM   #713
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
You may be correct, I certainly dont know. However they can't really go lower than K-1. I guess they could do K-0 but that's dumb. Could do K-2 but is that a higher or lower spec camera, that's confusing too. Maybe all FF pentax dslr's will have to be K-1 something from now on.
That would eventually be as bad as Super Bowl naming : K-1 mark xxxiv??

Maybe the KP has set a new pattern to naming?
02-12-2018, 07:08 PM   #714
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote

I would love to see them get to at least K-1 X
02-12-2018, 07:35 PM   #715
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote

Heritage naming: AP >> KP
K, S, S1, S2, S3, SV, SP, SP-F.

M’s for mirrorless

And then there is the L series
02-12-2018, 07:36 PM   #716
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Or at least full UHS-I (SDR-104) speed.
I don't really disagree; I find the wake-up delay annoying, too - for example. And if you don't stress out the buffer, the AF-C might be more important.
The advantage of UHS-II is the ability for the camera to have two way communications with the card at the same time due to the extra pins. This should help speed up performance on many levels including wake-up delay.

IMHO
02-12-2018, 10:10 PM   #717
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Heritage naming: AP >> KP
K, S, S1, S2, S3, SV, SP, SP-F.

M’s for mirrorless

And then there is the L series
Pentax has never really had a consistent approach to naming or labeling their various camera models. Especially since the arrival of digital.
  • The ist versions? I still don't understand. But, they do stand alone as a self defining sequence. There is a semblance of an order to the labels.
  • Then they went to the K100D/K200D along with the K10D and K20D. They had the start of something here, but they didn't carry it through in any way.
  • The Kx and Kr along with the K2000 - I don't understand this branch at all. Then suddenly the KP arrives. Bewildered.
  • The K7, K5 and K3 - is still a mystery to me. Why the reverse sequence? It's so self defeating - especially when one considers it ends with the K1. Not a lot of logic to the sequence.
  • Then there is the K30, K50 and K70. Ok, some semblance of malice of forethought in terms of order, here. But, it does not dovetail with any of the other sequences that preceded them. The K500 is just an orphan flapping in the breeze too.
  • The K-S1 and S2 - was another attempt at some order, but who really knows what is going to happen with this sequence.
Now, I'm waiting on the introduction of the K9. Where is the Doctor when he's in need?

My wife tells me that there is an actual Office of the Obscure in the Vatican. Who really knows what it does - other than name Pentax camera models.

02-13-2018, 12:07 AM   #718
Veteran Member

I think it's time for them to stop the naming/model confusion of potential buyers. Stick to policy, I don't mind seeing K-1 IX if it means 8 solid improvements ahead. If instead there were 8 new model names including changes in first letter, position or existence of dash, length and sequence of digit, I'd be even more confused that looking at the lens lines. For an outsider, Ricoh/Pentax doesn't know what they want. Sticking to the existing and iterating would mean more certainty for everyone

Last edited by davidsladek; 02-13-2018 at 12:53 AM.
02-13-2018, 03:59 AM - 3 Likes   #719
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I Think Ricoh should adopt the Canon naming convention for it's top models. K-number + II/III/IV etc..... K-1 FF K-2 aps-c for top models. K-10 for medium FF K-20 for medium aps-c. K-30 if they want an entry level version. The hell with people who get confused with earlier models. Get used to it!
02-13-2018, 04:00 AM - 2 Likes   #720
ogl
Banned

I think in the same way - K-1 is FF forever, just add II, III, IV and e.t.c.

As for top APS-C - K-2 maybe...
Closed Thread