Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2018, 05:38 AM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Who is going to buy this new camera? The K1 must have sated the market among Pentax owners for some years. Sales to those new to Pentax would seem too modest to add up.
I would like to buy a new camera in 2019. I would miss the KP's more refined fourth option selector wheel on the K-1.

01-26-2018, 05:59 AM - 1 Like   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
If Pentax shall have the slightest chance of breaking into the pro world, they need to make something more appealing..By that I mean to other then landscape and studio photographers. They are aware of this, but if they do something about it, I have no idea
Hi!. Are you testing it right now?=) is it mirrorless with Pentaprism and curve sensor? New PLM kit lens? 2 versions like K1 MkII pro (looks like Mz-1) and the other one smaller that K-1 mark I. hehehe.
Just a small hint will do.
01-26-2018, 06:00 AM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If Pentax shall have the slightest chance of breaking into the pro world, they need to make something more appealing..By that I mean to other then landscape and studio photographers. They are aware of this, but if they do something about it, I have no idea
If Ricoh really wants to break into the pro world, then they have a mighty task ahead with Canon and Nikon expanding into mirrorless soon on top of their already vast pro offerings.
I don't think many on this forum ever saw the K1 as an indication of Ricoh wanting to go after the pro photographer, but much more a body with which to reach out to the old and loyal Pentax user that had been waiting for ages for a FF body to put all existing FF lenses on.

Which is the more accurate perception? I don't know. I simply would not know how Pentax would gain acceptance among pro photographers in the current situation of very slow lens development and trailing technology on crucial points in their bodies, mainly AF related. I would wish Pentax a future amongst the serious pro brands, honestly, they could do it equipment wise if they had the means, I don't doubt that for a second. But the way things are going right now, how realistic is it? Third party lens support has vanished, and still their first lens with a truly fast AF motor for either APS-C or FF has yet to arrive. They have such vast ground to make up, and the pace at which things are developing, just does not allow for that.

My honest opinion: forget the pro world, revive APS-C with a new high end body, and some fast, reliable lenses to go with it. There is a large, large enthousiast crowd that wants more than a smart phone, to win over with a compact body like the KP but with serious specs, a single grip, and a few anno 2018 lenses.
It kind of stings that Pentax seems to want to go after those that will most likely not be swayed, and seems to be forgetting those that could keep the brand going if they see the right products appearing.
Just my honest opinion...

Chris
01-26-2018, 06:00 AM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Can you share your ideas of what they should do? Might not be products but also services?

I personally wish for an updated APS-C body to replace the K-3 II. Until then I can't see leaving my K-5 II.

01-26-2018, 06:00 AM   #65
Pentaxian

Hah. I told a friend that after having the K1 for more than a year I am finally mastering it.

The K1 is a very capable body. It could be a manufacturing refresh with some tweaks here and there. Faster card write, bit better af, some movie improvements, a different sensor, some changes in the viewfinder.
01-26-2018, 06:07 AM - 2 Likes   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Obviously this is all pure speculation. Those who know can't say, while the folks who are coming up with the rumors - really don't know. I waited around for the K3II successor - but needed some really low light capability (astro landscaping) - and not just high ISO, so it was full frame as the logical choice. Pentax really does need the successor for both the ASP-C and 645 bodies, along with both FF and 645 lenses. Fuji has a really nice and compelling 645 offering - starting off with a clean sheet of paper and putting out a nice set of lenses.

I acquired my K1 almost 6 months ago, and even if a firm announcement from Ricoh were to come out, upgrading the K1 is just a non starter - not gonna happen for me. I've spent my camera fund$ - I need to go shoot, and enjoy the sights. I really need nothing more technically in a body. Astro tracking for the sky/stars and Pixel Shift for the landscape, all using some fairly large pixels to soak up the small amount of light available (so higher resolution go in the wrong direction). A faster USB does nothing really for me. Faster, better focus - at night for stars, with a wide angle lens, not gonna happen.

... anyway - need to go take some pictures with what I have. I have no need to upgrade.

01-26-2018, 07:17 AM - 2 Likes   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In another thread recently, it was suggested Adam look into a mass discount on Prosac for PF members. Starting to think this group really needs it. Not to be a mindless fan boy, but looking at prices at B&H, the KP has a rebate getting it down to $896.95 and now the normal non-discount price on the K1 is $1769.95. This seems to leave room for two new top models in each lineup, and CP+ is around the corner. I don't think any of use know the marketing numbers or long term strategy and who really buys what, but I'd spin this as time to kick back, wait, and hopefully be pleasantly surprised. And what the heck, if nothing comes out, you have the choice of two fantastic cameras in two different formats to buy at great prices. We know from announcements this fall that the DFA* 50 is near release, and a DA* 11-18 is in the works, so it certainly feels like good things are brewing. Is it as fast a release schedule as "we'd" like? Perhaps not, but at this point, I'd rather see some slow releases of great stuff that hits the spot versus hurried releases that are mediocre and don't help the brand. Perhaps time to kick back and smell the proverbial roses.

01-26-2018, 07:39 AM   #68
Veteran Member

The K-3II body with battery grip is selling for $836.50 now. This is a great deal. The K-3II still offers more features than most other brands even at 3 years old. People who have the K-5 and think the K-3II is not enough of an upgrade I think are mistaken. Especially at that price.

I still like the idea of Ricoh/Pentax taking the interchangeable Viewfinder route as in a FF LXD body. They could have an APS-C MXD that shares the interchangeable viewfinders with the LXD. Having interchangeable viewfinders would allow both bodies the ability to change into a mirrorless body by having an EVF viewfinder. Those LX viewfinders are the bomb.
01-26-2018, 07:48 AM - 3 Likes   #69
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lenses. Lenses. AF. Lenses. Video. Lenses. And Lenses.

.:

Last edited by monochrome; 01-26-2018 at 03:56 PM.
01-26-2018, 07:53 AM   #70
Pentaxian

If they announce anything around a new FF soon, it won't be available for ages anyway No one I have got any answers from in the Ricoh system have heard anything about this. There are a couple of things they are working on as I know, but that are other stuff
Suggest him to build a DFA 24-105 f4 please.... would be a great idea!
01-26-2018, 08:08 AM   #71

Well, so Much rumeurs for such long time With Pentax full format DSLRs ...and now i have bought m’y K1 ont for such long...can be a Bad news 😭😭😭
01-26-2018, 08:31 AM   #72
Pentaxian

Could be a 24Mp K1 with 7 FPS. Currently, the mechanical part of the K1 can do the 7FPS because it can already do it in crop mode. A 24Mp sensor would allow, with the same processing power of the K3 to easily output the 7PFS in full frame mode.
01-26-2018, 08:37 AM   #73
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
Suggest him to build a DFA 24-105 f4 please.... would be a great idea!
I would much prefer a 35-140 f4, but I would buy either one today. Back on topic. I am still undecided if I want a K1 or a K3x.
01-26-2018, 08:37 AM - 1 Like   #74
Pentaxian

Interesting turn of events, if it's true that a K-1 Mark II will be out sometime this year. Makes me wonder what the general plans for Ricoh/Pentax are. Hopefully they improve the AF far better & update some features like USB 3 & stuff.

Hopefully Ricoh also releases the K-3II replacement sometime this year or at least they let us know that they really are working on it, but still need more time to make it better. Not everyone is interested in a full frame camera. I'm definitely not interested. Ricoh needs to release something this year or give the APS-C user base some kind of hope to keep them in the Pentax brand. All the other camera manufacturers, especially the mirrorless makers, are doing some incredible stuff & are tempting some of the user base.
01-26-2018, 08:38 AM - 1 Like   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
New FF rumour and people moan.
non Pentax, u43 owner moan about Pentax FF, that's different.

---------- Post added 26-01-18 at 16:44 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
People who have the K-5 and think the K-3II is not enough of an upgrade I think are mistaken. Especially at that price.
Well said, I fully agree, even myself considering to buy a K3 / K3 II again for use on my 150-450. K3 is fast (fast enough) for shooting things that that K1 can't, and K3 is a bargain now.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 01-26-2018 at 08:45 AM.
Closed Thread