Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 622 Likes Search this Thread
02-13-2018, 04:53 PM   #766
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So, playing with the small idea mentioned here and the darkened image from Asahiman, how about a really compact FF wrapped around the 42MP sensor that keeps getting mentioned, and then the USB enhancement, a focus improvement and a couple other things, and I would find it a really killer package. Fighting perpetual disc issues in my neck and back, I'd eagerly grab a smaller more capable K-1 II. Also, I'd think this would be a neat angle for Pentax to play against the competition. Better IQ, comparable performance elsewhere, and a package that's svelte. Wonder what the timing of distribution is? Could B&H be getting ready to receive first units in time to release with CP+ announcements? Kinda like a spring Christmas where you're pretty sure there's something really cool under the tree, but there's still a fear of socks.....

02-13-2018, 05:52 PM   #767
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kafenio Quote
if they change the sensor (which i think they have to, as the current 36MP Sensor is discontinued)...
Does anyone have a reliable source for this oft-repeated statement?

Not being critical, I'd really like to know if/when someone official (or even a trustworthy "in the know" source) said anything about EOLing the 36MP sensor. The IMX094 (which is likely the K-1 sensor) is still listed as an available product on Sony's sensor products page. There's no 42MP FF sensor on that page, and there's also been mumblings about Sony possibly keeping its best sensors for itself... I do hope the K-1 Mark II comes with a 42MP sensor, but reading the tea leaves, it seems a little unlikely from over here...
02-13-2018, 06:00 PM   #768
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

D1N0 posits any K-1 Super would keep the IMX094. He suggests the APSc flagship might be waiting for availability of a new Sony sensor, which presumably would share water tech with MF and FF. In that way Pentax can spread the cost of their own improvements across three APSc bodies, an eventual MF and an eventual single FF replacement. I’d guess that would be a total production plan of 1,000,000 units over time.
02-13-2018, 06:31 PM   #769
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm really hoping for a 42MP sensor - I'd say better even, but don't think that's realistic from what little I know. The reason is it would give me that extra nudge for birding that would let me use FF more in this application (but will still need my K3II for much of it). As it is now, the only time I reach for my K-1 and birds is really low light. Otherwise, I want the crop and pixel density and FPS of my K3II. And part of the implicit hope of the higher resolution sensor is killer AF and a frame rate that is up to the K3II to compliment it. Minus these two things, an upgrade over the K-1 that's in my hands right now becomes irrelevant.

02-13-2018, 06:40 PM   #770
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The way I see the silhouette. Its a K3 body with a FF sensor.. I guess we just can't wait what will Ricoh-Pentax will release. At the end of the day, there would be lovers and haters when it arrives.
02-13-2018, 06:53 PM   #771
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kenn100D Quote
The way I see the silhouette. Its a K3 body with a FF sensor.. I guess we just can't wait what will Ricoh-Pentax will release. At the end of the day, there would be lovers and haters when it arrives.
I really can't tell how big the sensor is. But the Pentaprism looks a tad small for Full Frame
02-13-2018, 07:37 PM   #772
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
I really can't tell how big the sensor is. But the Pentaprism looks a tad small for Full Frame
Either they removed it or small or they replaced it with EVF.

02-13-2018, 10:46 PM   #773
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
[*]Then there is the K30, K50 and K70. Ok, some semblance of malice of forethought in terms of order, here. But, it does not dovetail with any of the other sequences that preceded them. The K500 is just an orphan flapping in the breeze too.

That's a nice turn of phrase, but watch your words. Law.com defines what I think you were trying to say: "malice aforethought
n. 1) the conscious intent to cause death or great bodily harm to another person before a person commits the crime. Such malice is a required element to prove first degree murder. 2) a general evil and depraved state of mind in which the person is unconcerned for the lives of others. "

Let's not go accusing Pentax of that!
02-13-2018, 11:03 PM   #774
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
@nokishita_c tweeted: リコーが次に発表する一眼レフは「PENTAX K-1 Mark II」になるらしい。いつ頃発表されるかはまだ不明。 #噂
Twitter
There is another leak out there
QuoteOriginally posted by Craig66 Quote
Pentax K-1 Mark II DSLR camera detailed specifications leaked

Read more: Pentax K-1 Mark II DSLR camera detailed specifications leaked | Pentax Rumors
From this leak, the case appears to be unchanged. The image from Asahi man may be a totally different thing.

It now appears that the biggest change in the K-1 is to incorporate the noise reduction processor already being used by the K-70 and KP.
02-14-2018, 01:27 AM - 1 Like   #775

I am not surprised it will be an incremental update, its consistent with other releases in APS-C range. If it were going to be substantially different then they would have kept the K1 along side instead of discontinuing it. Anyway, the K1 is an excellent body and K1-II will be even better.
02-14-2018, 01:42 AM - 1 Like   #776
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
It now appears that the biggest change in the K-1 is to incorporate the noise reduction processor already being used by the K-70 and KP.
That is the amount of change that was to be expected and perfectly in line with K-5II and K-3II updates. It will be interesting to see the high ISO results.
02-14-2018, 02:54 AM - 1 Like   #777

If this specs leak is true, then someone in the Ricoh marketing team did a very poor job. I hope it is joke.

This is not an incremental update one might expect from release after 2+ years. I am a senior lead engineer in a technology-based company in SV, and we do releases once per 6-9 months. Updating one component by taking it from an already released product is now what we call even an incremental update.
An incremental update is a set of minor improvements in most aspects of the product. A major update is if there is some new big feature or a new huge improvement.

As for the marketing - the main goal of marketing is not to make ads but to listen to the market and decide what product to put on the shelf so people would buy it. And now what Ricoh is doing?
- Pentax is known for its AF system to be lagging behind the competition and having bad press. Ricoh answer: No AF improvements. Not even improved software.
- Poor buffer clearing speed, burst speed on the low-end, compared to competiotion. Ricoh answer: No hardware improvements in this area at all.
- No USB 3.0: Again no improvements at all.
- K1 is known for its outstanding IQ and great sensor beating the competition even in the 2x-3x higher price range. What Ricoh does? They add some software mambo-jumbo chip to improve ISO / IQ even further to ridiculous levels. Are you crazy, Ricoh? Are they gonna be shooting in complete darkness? High ISO makes sense only if you're shooting sports in poor light conditions. But without a decent AF and burst rates, this is pointless - there are better cameras for this.

Sure, I didn't expect miracles in this release. Only incremental update - the same sensor, but faster processor, modernized faster interface for accessing memory cards to increase continuous shooting speed, improved AF (maybe more points of the same kind), improved AF tracking software (or at least some additional marketing effort to show to everybody they were wrong and AF is decent).
02-14-2018, 03:12 AM - 2 Likes   #778
Veteran Member

3 weeks ago nobody heard of a updated K1 and now people are disappointed because it's not a NEW FF (News sensor, new AF system etc) but a upgrade from original K1.
I dont get it !

The K1 is an excellent camera, we all know that, and for about the same price they replace it for an even better camera IQ wise, I think that's great !
I can't wait to see the result in high ISO with this MkII

Im not saying this is perfect, the first thing that comes to mind is the lack of an updated Buffer / UHS II system, but with no increase in price I still think the K1 MkII is a hell of a deal.

I've got high expectations for the next FF camera from Pentax though, but I think Ill need to be patient as I dont think it's around the corner.
02-14-2018, 03:13 AM   #779
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Highly unlikely they can fix shutter shock via firmware, it's a hardware related issue. But if by some miracle they would, I won't complain)
That's just what I meant.
02-14-2018, 04:18 AM   #780
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So same camera, same sensor. Improved shake reduction, better pixel shift, and better high iso due to accelerator chip. Deeper buffer? According to these, the buffer is now 17 raw files at 4.4 fps continuous shooting. I don't think it is quite that deep on the current K-1.

Well, the nice thing is it won't be a huge price increase from before and for a lot of people not a big reason to update current K-1 cameras.
Closed Thread