Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2018, 06:22 AM   #826
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Cameras, plural? Are you hinting at something?
Hehe..I use 2 cameras at work all times

02-15-2018, 06:24 AM   #827
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Gotcha!

So one single camera will be announced in the framework of CP+ (K-1 Mark II) and this is final.
02-15-2018, 06:27 AM   #828
Veteran Member

You know I can't answer that here..lol
02-15-2018, 06:28 AM   #829
Pentaxian

You know I can't answer that here..lol
Oh you already have!

02-15-2018, 06:55 AM   #830
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One for each eye?

02-15-2018, 07:00 AM - 1 Like   #831
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
One for each eye?

Well, to answer this in a serious way, I use 2 because of the short window I have to work when I'm only there as press (not working for the bands, that gives me the whole show). I do not have the time or space to change lenses when I want/need too. At KISS we had 6 minutes to take pictures..And almost no space to move at all. So everything has its reasons.
02-15-2018, 07:36 AM   #832
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, to answer this in a serious way
I'm still waiting for morning caffeine to fire up all the synapses, but with all the doom some seem to have, it was hard to resist something silly and light!

I am far from a pro, but even as a lowly amateur chasing humming birds, kids and my dog, I have benefited from having two cameras with different lenses going at the same time. Yep, it just works better in certain situations. Just wish I had enough extra money I could whimsically play and just buy the next one to see what it is like, but happy I've been able to do what I can, which I realize is much more than many. So be happy for what we have, be it K-1 or K-1 II. Life could be far worse!

02-15-2018, 07:44 AM   #833
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I'm still waiting for morning caffeine to fire up all the synapses, but with all the doom some seem to have, it was hard to resist something silly and light!

I am far from a pro, but even as a lowly amateur chasing humming birds, kids and my dog, I have benefited from having two cameras with different lenses going at the same time. Yep, it just works better in certain situations. Just wish I had enough extra money I could whimsically play and just buy the next one to see what it is like, but happy I've been able to do what I can, which I realize is much more than many. So be happy for what we have, be it K-1 or K-1 II. Life could be far worse!

you only use two? I often use 3 at a time (K-5, LX, and 645), if my wife lets me, that is. She doesn't want me to turn everything into a photo shoot

I agree with the K-1 sentiment
02-15-2018, 07:52 AM - 1 Like   #834
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
you only use two? I often use 3 at a time (K-5, LX, and 645), if my wife lets me, that is. She doesn't want me to turn everything into a photo shoot

I agree with the K-1 sentiment
You made me laugh hard with this - my girlfriend says to me as we're heading out the door for a walk with the dog, "do you really have to bring all that camera stuff?"

I told her it's easy. She can stay home if she likes!
02-15-2018, 08:28 AM - 4 Likes   #835
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
We're all different in our requirements. A huge number of my shots are taken between ISO 1600 and 6400. Some, higher still. My single biggest requirement from post-processing software is effective colour noise reduction at higher ISOs. After that, it's shadow and highlight recovery. Given that, I'll never be fed up with improvements in detail, noise and dynamic range at higher ISOs.

Photography may be the light, but often there's simply not enough of it. Shooting at f/1.4, or with long exposures, just isn't viable for certain types of shot. Often, you need a reasonably high shutter speed to capture movement, or you need f/8 to get the required depth of field. Occasionally, you need both. In lower light, that means high ISO.

Your use cases might not require more than ISO 400 most of the time, but as I said, we're all different
Exactly!

If you look at the full cube of possible exposure settings: {shutter speed} X {aperture} X {ISO}, there's good reasons to use every bit of it.

In some cases the best shutter speed is very slow (waterfalls, star trails, ghostly people), some cases it's a fast as possible (hummingbirds), and some cases it's a very specific value (e.g., something like 1/100 or 1/200 for airshows to stop a flying aircraft but let the propeller blur).

In some cases the best aperture is very wide (f/1.4 for super shallow DoF), some cases it's very narrow (f/32 for macro where the extra DoF is worth the diffraction), and some cases it's a very specific value (e.g. an f/8 sweet spot or a specific hyperfocal aperture).

Unlike shutter speed and aperture the "best" ISO (the ISO that a photographer would love to use if lighting weren't an issue) is the lowest ISO. Unless the photographer loves grainy pictures (which can always be created in post-processing), there's every reason to use the lowest possible ISO. But if the photographer has already dialed in the best shutter speed and the best aperture, then the lighting conditions (and exposure compensation settings) pretty much force them to use a certain ISO which might be quite high (especially at night, indoors, in macro, or with fast objects).

I think I've used pretty much the entire exposure cube from slow-shutter blurred daylight images to fast-shutter moon-lit images and from wide aperture shallow DoF to super narrow aperture macro. And I've used every ISO on the dial because half the time (and in many places), it's really dark on Earth.

That brings up the issue of compromise in photography and the cost to the image's quality or meaning caused using a different shutter speed, aperture, or ISO than the "best" ones. Here the biggest issue is about the highest acceptable ISO and being forced to compromise on shutter speed or aperture to avoid high ISO. Being forced to use a slower shutter speed than the best one to avoid a high ISO is a compromise. Being forced to use a wider aperture than the best one to avoid a high ISO is a compromise*. Sometimes the photographic conditions are not ideal which means deciding between a substandard photo or no photo at all.

What's interesting about the K-1ii is the addition of the accelerator and noise reduction technologies pioneered in the KP. Those technologies seem to have the potential to "clean up" the image by maybe 1 stop possible 2 (if the the ISO 819200 on the K-1ii is equivalent to ISO 204800 on the original K-1). And that really is a meaningful upgrade because it reduces the percentage of photographs that can't use the best shutter speed and best aperture because those best settings require a "bad" high ISO. Simply put, cleaner high-ISO means more and better images.

Personally, I prefer cleaner images to either more megapixels or more fps but that's just me.

(*NOTE: the aperture-ISO issue is also an AF issue. AF accuracy does not need to be as high with narrower apertures afforded by a camera with clean high-ISO capabilities.)
02-15-2018, 08:46 AM - 14 Likes   #836
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ok folks, I got subscribed to this thread because I posted earlier. It's a simple enough thing to un-subscribe from a thread, but curiosity about some actual FACTS that might come, kept me on.

To my point - Let's be HONEST, I don't think ANYONE was expecting a new release or update of the K-1 at all until AsahiMan and Rumors website posted. Up until then, most were anxiously anticipating a K3-III and some more FF lenses.

Along comes the K1-II rumor, and all of a sudden we act like a monkey is throwing his turds at us? Really?! REALLY?!!!! Come'on! PUH-LEASE! We weren't expecting anything so soon, now, eager opportunists that we are, we go nuts and want a totally new, redesigned, major upgrade?!?

Attitudes like this must make Ricoh cringe when they look at these forums. Honor means a lot to these people. They take advantage of a parts change to a chip and bump up the model number, try to do right by us and give us an incremental update during what are widely perceived as "hard times" for the DSLR industry as a whole (see Nikon, not Canon, heh) and we want to start throwing tantrums about what we didn't get before we even know what we are getting. And the almighty hipocracy of bragging about our beloved K-1 being as good as Nikon's D810 and all the previous manhood measuring is quickly forgotten and now we whine that our K-1 now isn't up to snuff?

What if Ricoh had quietly snuck the new Prime chip into newer serial numbers and didn't tell anyone? Just imagine the outcry and complaints of people trying to buy a new camera and make sure it has the latest chip. I could see the calls to B&H now "Can you tell me the serial number of the K-1 you will be shipping me, I want to make sure it has the latest Prime chip!" I am sure that would endear Pentax brand to B&H!!!! Prolly make them consider dropping the damn product line!

Come'on y'all, get a grip. Enjoy your K-1's, go out and use the thing, and try and remember how you felt about it before you learned something else was coming.

oh yeah, it's the internet... and I just fell for it too. Damn.
Eric
02-15-2018, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #837
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

^^^ Harsh, but fair
02-15-2018, 09:45 AM   #838
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Have you used a KP? The high ISO performance is remarkable. I'm *very* interested to see how that performs on the K-1 platform.
Wait, I mean the presence or not of a dedicated hardware component
02-15-2018, 10:12 AM - 2 Likes   #839
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
To my point - Let's be HONEST, I don't think ANYONE was expecting a new release or update of the K-1 at all until AsahiMan and Rumors website posted.
Technically speaking, it was Nokishita Camera.
Besides that, you're right. We must be the worst user base in the photographic world. Even Samsung's is more optimistic - on the other forums there are (obviously fake, but don't tell them!) rumors speaking about their camera division's resurgence. Here? Doom&gloom.

Because improving the image quality on an excellent camera and launching a new high-end prime is so much worse than not launching another camera product ever again.

---------- Post added 15-02-18 at 07:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
Wait, I mean the presence or not of a dedicated hardware component
Buy a KP, and open it. Look for an IC just like this:
02-15-2018, 11:31 AM - 1 Like   #840
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Where I live, New Orleans, night time is when everything happens. I rarely bring out my camera because at f1.8 and 1/90 at 3200 iso i still have to push 1.5 stops in post. F1.8 is usually too shallow. 1/90 is usually too slow. 3200+ is usually too noisy. Give me a +1.5 stops for aperture, +1.5 for shutter and +1.5 for iso and frustration transforms to joy. Seems like this upgrade puts it close to joy. I want to see what iso 12800-25600 is like.
Closed Thread