Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 622 Likes Search this Thread
01-26-2018, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #121
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Of them all. the K1 is the first camera that finally made me forget about film.
ya, that's funny, I wouldn't admit it without prompting but I could say the same thing.

Before the K-1 I was always thinking, "maybe I should get a roll of film for the 645."

01-26-2018, 03:38 PM   #122
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Of them all. the K1 is the first camera that finally made me forget about film.
Basically the same here. I have had a K20d, a K-5, a K-01 (LOL), and a K-3 II. The K-1 is the first model where I haven't felt held back by one weird quirk or another. (Though the K-3 II was thiiiis close.)

Sure, it could be better in some ways (and I do have a running list of wants -- better top LCD, brighter VF focus point indicators, better predictive AF, less squishy shutter button, etc.), but the K-1 is 100% good enough for me.

If there's a Mark II coming soon, I don't expect to need it!
01-26-2018, 04:02 PM   #123
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
The K-1 is the first model where I haven't felt held back by one weird quirk or another.
thats weird, because according to what i feel things started to get weird with the K-3... and since the K-1 I am actually convinced the R&D has some "loose ends"...
(at least for the handling and the look/feeling of the cameras... the additional features and the better AF of K-3 and K-1 are really good improvements, without A question.)

I really feel the last camera-design that was done with sense and logic was the K-5IIs...
just put one of the newer bodies next to it, read the f. manual, think about which of those cameras has the cleanest interface plus the best logic behind button- and wheel-placement and then you may come to the idea why I see it this way...

The only thing i wish it were a bit different, was the AF-method(AF-C,AF-S) select... i still think that should be placed like on most of the nikons(camera side with the AF pointing method selection button in the middle of it)
but that would be nitpicking already.

AND AE-L button locking(write-protecting) the pictures in review mode. (to avoid unnecessary additional buttons)

But as time goes on and looking at the newes inventions from other makers, i would wish for a joystick in the middle of the four-way-element, for better/quicker af-point selection than just an odd OK-button.

But tastes differ.
01-26-2018, 04:02 PM - 2 Likes   #124
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1) Why does releasing a new FF body mean that a new APS-C body is not also in development? Is Pentax that short of staff that they cannot work on more than one project at a time?

2) Why does releasing a new FF body mean everyone owning a K-1 has to upgrade? Are we required to buy every new body that is released?

3) Why does releasing a new FF body mean it has to be much if any different than the K-1? Why can it not just be an incremental improvement over the K-1 for NEW purchasers of the K-1?

4) Why does releasing a new FF body mean that lenses will be delayed? Again, is Pentax so short of staff that only one thing can be worked on at a time?

Just random rhetorical questions sparked by reading this thread. No answers really needed, just food for thought.

01-26-2018, 04:08 PM   #125
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K-1 Mark II Coming on 2018 ? | NEW CAMERA
01-26-2018, 04:10 PM   #126
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I suppose that developing the support circuitry and software to work with a new sensor or generation of sensors is a non-trivial task.
I also suppose that Pentax is in need of releasing a new APS-C body, FF body and 645 body.

So I wonder if all three of those bodies are not in development and will use the same sensor family. Surely it makes sense to develop the software and processing chips to support a new sensor generation for all three camera lines? Once that is done it only needs refined for the specific requirements of the camera. Fundamental development costs are spread over a lot more camera bodies.

Just some random speculation. As always: those who know do not talk, and those who talk do not know.

---------- Post added 01-26-18 at 03:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Pentax K-1 Mark II Coming on 2018 ? | NEW CAMERA
Circular rumor mill? Confirmation of K-1 mark II from a rumor posted and quoted on a different online rumor site? Or independent information?

Last edited by jatrax; 01-26-2018 at 04:16 PM.
01-26-2018, 04:19 PM   #127
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
independent information?
Yes, thats a good Q, but they say they have confirmation...we cant believe it at this stage, i'm sceptical until its announced.[COLOR="Silver"]

01-26-2018, 04:20 PM   #128
Veteran Member

Circular rumor mill? Confirmation of K-1 mark II from a rumor posted and quoted on a different online rumor site? Or independent information?
Like lousy intelligence reporting. See something once, take a guess at what is going on, then the next time you see it, claim it is your initial guess and use your first report to back it up.
It is called circular reporting and it is the bane of anyone with functioning common sense.
01-26-2018, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #129
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not doubting this rumor any more than any other rumor. It just amuses me to see how these rumors propagate. Someone posts something that might possibly be construed as a fact. This is quoted by another site, then a third site uses the second site's post as 'confirmation' of the first post. Then it gets quoted in a forum and other sites use the forum post as proof that the rumor is actually true.

Circular rumor mill fueled by nothing but perpetual nonetheless.
01-26-2018, 04:55 PM   #130
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Pure speculatiom.

Sony has a new 150MP BSI MF sensor (IMX411) in development for release in 2018. If that would be cut down to 35mm sensor it would be approx 54MP. Which is the same pixel pitch as 24MP APS-C sensors.
This also gives the option of a 645Z mk II with 100MP, and a new BSI 24MP APS-C sensor for K3 mk III.

As Pentax has ran out of numbers for FF they might have to call K1 mk II, even if sensor and other hardware is going to change. Naming a new camera K1/2 does not seem right.

It could maybe also be an advantage in sensor production if the same wafer was used for all large sensors.

The 36MP sensor night have reached end of life.
Is there any one but Pentax still producing cameras using 36MP Sony FF sensors?

Application Image Sensor for Camera | Sony Semiconductor Solutions Corporation
If Ricoh are waiting for the release of the new backlit 24mp and 150mp sensors for the K3 and 645 series, then it might make sense to drop the existing 42mp sensor into a K1 to give it a boost in performance and resolution. A new K1 image pipeline would require much less work than a new APS-C flagship. It would also be incredibly stupid not to wait for the new sensor that is just round the corner.
01-26-2018, 05:20 PM   #131
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ascencio Quote
Don’t see any advantage with more MP. Will make the FA limiteds look worse. Only one DFA prime in the near future without third party lenses not a camera i would get. I always thought Pentax should have made a small 24mp DF style camera to use with FA limiteds.
Worse in what sense? Taking pictures of walls or test charts? The FA Limiteds have soul, no matter what they are attached to.
01-26-2018, 06:12 PM   #132
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is quite puzzling ... a new K-1 rather than a K3 "upgrade".
01-26-2018, 06:15 PM   #133
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1) Why does releasing a new FF body mean that a new APS-C body is not also in development? Is Pentax that short of staff that they cannot work on more than one project at a time?
Well I guess Grand Pa Miyagi and his grand son can only work on one camera body at a time in the garage behind Ricoh Imaging!?

Larry
01-26-2018, 06:51 PM - 1 Like   #134
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
You got your K-3 upgrade.. it was called the KP

Now I'll exit stage left...
01-26-2018, 07:03 PM   #135
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
You got your K-3 upgrade.. it was called the KP
no the KP was always touted by Ricoh as a different camera, a side grade if you like, look at the specs, how can you call the KP upgrade to K-3 line, it only has some new tech which will most likely appear in the new K-3/3II upgrade

the forum needs another of these threads, the others were getting a bit stale

---------- Post added 27-01-18 at 01:05 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
for a start they need to fix the shutter fault on the K-1, so yes it may prove wise to get that right first then release the aps-c line of things.

Last edited by beachgardener; 01-26-2018 at 11:52 PM.
Closed Thread