Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2018, 02:30 AM - 2 Likes   #31
Veteran Member

If they announce anything around a new FF soon, it won't be available for ages anyway No one I have got any answers from in the Ricoh system have heard anything about this. There are a couple of things they are working on as I know, but that are other stuff

01-26-2018, 02:39 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
but that are other stuff
nice one, thanks, I know lenses are coming but pray for the K-3II updated model
01-26-2018, 02:52 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yeah, I agree with King... from a Pentax-user perspective, I don't think another FF makes much sense. I think it's an amazing camera! They gave pretty much everything I had hoped for... It's essentially a d810, with more features and fraction of the price. The only real fault I see in the camera is the 4fps. Maybe it's conditioning... but video, I've pretty much stop caring about (in my Pentax cameras anyways). I too wonder how many people would consider upgrading... Higher MPixels, slightly better Autofocus, bump in fps, possibly expanded video features. I wonder how many people with K-1s would see that as a plus. More MPs, while appreciated, I actually think 36 is the sweet spot. Above 40, and the files just become huge... can only imagine what pixel-shift size would be.

Like many people, what I would really love is a new APS-C body to complement my K-1. I would love the added reach to the 1.5x crop, faster frames. Be nice to have the option as a 2nd back-up body (currently using a 16MP Panasonic G85 w/adapter, which also doubles as main video camera after moving on from my old K-5... given to a student's family I mentor)... that would be something I really care about. K-3 III or what-not. I truthfully though, will probably just use it as an excuse to get a K-3 ii (not sure what else I need from this video), unless the feature set just jumps off the page.
01-26-2018, 02:53 AM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

Bringing it all together it could be it is mainly a major FW update, that they sell as version 2. I always wondered why somebody would want to give away FW updates for free.
If the hardware change is really minimal it would fit to kenspo not hearing anything substantial about it up front, because it is not really a "new" camera.

Remember the size of changes between K-5 and K-5II?

SD card bus, buffer size etc. anything where they only need to exchange a part without changing the architecture.

01-26-2018, 02:57 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Camera Rumors explicitly quote Nokishita Camera; it's therefore the same source.

I also heard a few days ago about an improved K-1 to be announced sometimes in February (hence my post here about a "K-1 Super")..
Yeah, I found it as a joke, because the "cool" icon next to it, but maybe Nokishita and that rumor sites dude found is as rock solid info(almost all his sources seems to be gathered from posts on camera forums)
01-26-2018, 03:02 AM   #36
Pentaxian

This is Nokishita, which I'd say is usually accurate and not a rumor-making, fake-propagating site. OTOH, it's a bit early for a K-1 replacement. It's hard to decide if I should trust this information or not...
digicame-info says it will have a 40MP+ sensor, by the way.
01-26-2018, 03:08 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Remember the rule of silver version release proceeding the announcement of the new model

01-26-2018, 03:08 AM   #38
Pentaxian

I have not seen a sensor on the market which would be preferable to the current one from an photo IQ perspective.

The only reason could be (to me completely irrelevant) video or spray and pray FPS aspects.
01-26-2018, 03:17 AM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
This is Nokishita, which I'd say is usually accurate and not a rumor-making, fake-propagating site. OTOH, it's a bit early for a K-1 replacement. It's hard to decide if I should trust this information or not...
digicame-info says it will have a 40MP+ sensor, by the way.

It would make sense to move to the 42mp sensor because the 36mp is probably EOL. I know of no camera's apart from the K-1 that still uses it. Sony would either have to keep producing it in small numbers or just give Ricoh access to the newer 42mp sensor. The latter is probably much cheaper. It is not like they really fear competition from Pentax anyway. Good news if they can implement the sensor pdaf. It is not really much faster than the K-1 (4.4 vs 5fps) But capable of 4K. That would mean a new Prime V in the K-1 II.
01-26-2018, 03:22 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax has been due some new releases, both glass and cameras, for awhile. A K-1 II wouldn't surprise me over much, but I do think we are ready for another APS-C camera -- or two. But I don't know anything so hard to say what to make of this rumor.
01-26-2018, 03:35 AM - 1 Like   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If this is true, I'm not a big fan. K-1 is already an excellent camera, I'm not sure what can be added to a mark II to justify the upgrade. I would prefer Ricoh to focus more of the development of new FF lenses (like a wide angle prime for instance). Most photographers that I know are tempted by the K-1 but they are not so satisfied with the current lens line-up, so in maybe Ricoh should focus on that first if they want to increase their market share.
01-26-2018, 03:40 AM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
If this is true, I'm not a big fan. K-1 is already an excellent camera, I'm not sure what can be added to a mark II to justify the upgrade. I would prefer Ricoh to focus more of the development of new FF lenses (like a wide angle prime for instance). Most photographers that I know are tempted by the K-1 but they are not so satisfied with the current lens line-up, so in maybe Ricoh should focus on that first if they want to increase their market share.

Ricoh may not have had much choice in the matter. If the 36mp sensor is no longer available and they didn't order a lot of them in advance, they would have to introduce a Mk II.
01-26-2018, 03:43 AM - 1 Like   #43
JPT
Pentaxian

I have quite a lot of trust in Nokishita, because of their past record, as well as the fact that they don’t seem to be into posting stuff for the sake of it. They often go for a week or two without posting anything if there is nothing to post.

Kunzite - I think the Digicame Info post that mention a 40mp + sensor is just presented on the level of “I wonder if ...”

It wouldn’t really be so strange to see a K-1 successor in 2018. The K-1 was announced in Feb 2016, but it had been delayed from Oct 2015. It’s quute a long time. There are meaningful things they could do to update it, such as a new AF module, or a new sensor. The 42mp Sony one raises the possibility of 4K video, and Thom Hogen believes Sony was shopping it to Nikon for the D850, and disappointed when they wouldn’t take it.

As for the “mark II” naming, they didn’t leave themselves anywhere else to go when they called the first FF K-1, so I don’t think it implies anything about the significance of the update.
01-26-2018, 03:46 AM   #44

Needs more fresh ff lenses before more bodies, lets not get into Sony territory here. To be honest I'm not left wanting with my K1. Given what the 40+ mp sensors offer (very little if any upgrade) and especially the prices of the cameras containing them (almost double) I'm not sure any of that would fit the Pentax mindset. IQ upgrades are essential. Work would be continuing of course, but AF/FPS AND MP increases just seems like too much of a jump, which would cost an arm and a leg. And the people enjoying the landscape monster with its astrotracing pixel shift won't give a rats.
01-26-2018, 03:47 AM - 1 Like   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
It would make sense to move to the 42mp sensor because the 36mp is probably EOL. I know of no camera's apart from the K-1 that still uses it. Sony would either have to keep producing it in small numbers or just give Ricoh access to the newer 42mp sensor. The latter is probably much cheaper. It is not like they really fear competition from Pentax anyway. Good news if they can implement the sensor pdaf. It is not really much faster than the K-1 (4.4 vs 5fps) But capable of 4K. That would mean a new Prime V in the K-1 II.
Yes, the 36MP being EOL could be a reason to update the camera.
A 40+MP sensor with Pentax' new processing (which is not included in the K-1) might not be bad at all. If they do something about the buffer and SD card write speed (I think the buffer issue also requires a new processor).
Closed Thread