Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2018, 08:21 AM - 1 Like   #256
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
It's actually quite an interesting conundrum - Pentax can't fall too far behind in the Mp race - not because more is always better but because the further off the pace you are in one area, the better you need to be in another to compensate in attention grabbing terms - and, of course, neither the Canon nor Nikon mega-Mp efforts use Sony sensors - so the piggy-backing possibility isn't there
I don't think we are going to be pushing to far past the current 40ish mega pixels for FF sensors. Sony has said there is not a huge demand from photographers to increase MPs. People want more dynamic range, better color, and faster performance. None of the flagship bodies (1Dx, D5, A9) have more than 24MP.

I would expect that if the rumor is true we see the same 36MP sensor as the K-1. Ricoh needs to speed up everything about the camera, but the sensor is excellent.
36mp sensor
5fps - I don't think the sensor can read/clear faster than this.
Increase the buffer and write speed by 4x
UHS-II cards
USB-C port
They have to have a major improvement in AF-C. This is the area they need catch-up, not the MP race. 36MP is already more than most people need and the K-1image quality is spectacular.

01-28-2018, 08:32 AM   #257
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote

I would expect that if the rumor is true we see the same 36MP sensor as the K-1.
The rumour says about higher than 40 MP.
01-28-2018, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #258
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Perhaps the K-1 MkII will introduce an automatic AF fine tune capability a la Nikon. That's the kind of clever, photographer-friendly feature I'd expect from Pentax
01-28-2018, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #259
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't think we are going to be pushing to far past the current 40ish mega pixels for FF sensors. Sony has said there is not a huge demand from photographers to increase MPs. People want more dynamic range, better color, and faster performance. None of the flagship bodies (1Dx, D5, A9) have more than 24MP.
The point I'm trying to make,really, is that there is a difference between what is necessary for photographers and what is necessary for sales. Pentax aren't going to win the speed machine race that the flagship bodies are in so they compete on IQ, which improves with pixels up to a point - and the are also competing, as all ILCs are, with smartphones - the pictures have to look noticeably better for people to fork out the cash. They will increase the Mp - and it will be to 42 if they buy from Sony - this is because, as you allude to, the old 36Mp sensor can't clear fat enough to improve other features - they need the 42 for reasons other than Mp, but they also need it to go on looking competitive to the users they are targeting, which are people wanting the highest IQ available from their chosen format - that's thelogic behind their lens development, anyway.

Last edited by ffking; 01-28-2018 at 09:09 AM.
01-28-2018, 09:25 AM   #260
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
They will increase the Mp - and it will be to 42 if they buy from Sony - this is because, as you allude to, the old 36Mp sensor can't clear fat enough to improve other features - they need the 42 for reasons other than Mp
You may be right , because K1 can output 7FPS in crop mode, so it isn't limited by the shutter+mirror and camera operating system. Years back, K3 operating system was already able to output 8.3 FPS, so I believe Ricoh could at least get that figure is the sensor is fast enough.
01-28-2018, 11:12 AM   #261
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think Pentax will be hoping to get some Canon and other users to buy in to the system. They need to have specs pretty close to the d850 at a cheaper price. 95% of the performance at 70% of price. Plus all the other good things pentax does. Throw in the new DFA 50 and it very well may be the best dslr on the market in terms of IQ.
42mp at at least 7fps is what I expect. The AF will be the biggest unknown. Will it be the same 33 point system with tweaks or something much more interesting?
01-28-2018, 11:57 AM   #262

Here is my wish list. 1) More focus points, 2) Improved AF, 3) FF Frames Per Second Increase, 4) 4K video and 5) 36MP is enough but a slight increase wouldn't be a bad thing. These improvements would make the K-1 II the best FF camera ever. The K1 was near perfect but these improvements along with all the K1 carryovers would make this camera a game changer.

01-28-2018, 12:35 PM   #263
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think I mentioned earlier, but I hope/suspect they might carry over the user settings on the top control dial from the KP also - some of the current ones I never use and it would be nice to choose
01-28-2018, 12:49 PM   #264

I would expect that if the rumor is true we see the same 36MP sensor as the K-1. Ricoh needs to speed up everything about the camera, but the sensor is excellent.
36mp sensor
5fps - I don't think the sensor can read/clear faster than this.
Increase the buffer and write speed by 4x
UHS-II cards
USB-C port
They have to have a major improvement in AF-C. This is the area they need catch-up, not the MP race. 36MP is already more than most people need and the K-1image quality is spectacular.
Agree about the resolution requirement but the 36MP sensor is very dated now in areas that Pentax needs to catchup in, like faster readouts and 4K video. Even with higher MPs I expect Pentax in IQ with better ISO and dynamic range than competitors, this is what Pentax is good at.
01-28-2018, 12:56 PM - 1 Like   #265
Pentaxian

rumors are: new crop camera, new full frame, new medium format.

release a new -close to 30mp- crop, and it cuts into ff sales
release a new -close to 50mp- ff and it cuts into 645 sales
release a new 645 and nothing for us mortals.

release them all at the same time, or all of the specs for on a new roadmap for the next 18 moths, everybody wins.
01-28-2018, 01:05 PM   #266
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sculptor666 Quote
release them all at the same time, or all of the specs for on a new roadmap for the next 18 moths, everybody wins
Ha ha ha...its not quite Feb 1 and you are putting April 1 jokes up!
01-28-2018, 01:05 PM   #267
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

release a new -close to 30mp- crop, and it cuts into ff sales
release a new -close to 50mp- ff and it cuts into 645 sales
release a new 645 and nothing for us mortals.
I take your points, but the sensor format and physical size of the camera and lenses are a greater part of the buying decision than you give them credit for. Canon has APS-C models with greater resolution than the 5D MkIII and 1DX MkII, and I don't believe the full-frame model sales are affected. That aside, I don't see much point in going above 24MP for APS-C. I believe APS-C users are more interested in increased high ISO performance, better AF, flagship build and features etc.

You might have a point regarding a very high resolution full-frame model cutting into "645Z II" sales, but perhaps not if there's a big resolution jump for the medium format model...
01-28-2018, 01:06 PM   #268
Pentaxian

release them all at the same time, or all of the specs for on a new roadmap for the next 18 moths, everybody wins
Ha ha ha...its not quite Feb 1 and you are putting April 1 jokes up!
01-28-2018, 01:22 PM - 1 Like   #269
Pentaxian

April 1

This is early too...some creative,speculative minds

But its definitely got the BS sensor.
Attached Images

01-28-2018, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #270
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kraigg007 Quote
1) More focus points
Probably the least likely on your list, not only would it require a new processor (possibly a dedicated AF processor, which would be a radical change to the current system), but it also requires a change in PDAF hardware. The PDAF hardware won't fit both APS-C and FF. If it turns out that more than 33 AF points are needed to make significant improvements to the K-1's autofocus (which would mean better processing doesn't accomplish much without extra AF points), why not implement this technology first in a new APS-C body, where the Pentax line-up needs a boost the most and has the potential for higher sales volume than an upgraded K-1. There are more Pentax APS-C owners waiting for an opportunity to upgrade their camera body than Pentax FF owners. If anyone is unhappy with what the K-1 currently offers, they probably don't own one right now and are unlikely to buy the new K-1 just because it now has more AF points.
3) FF Frames Per Second Increase, 4) 4K video
These are both bandwidth issues in the camera's electronics and improvements in hardware to move more data from the sensor to memory should be transferable between APS-C and FF (possibly even MF) bodies. This type of improvement could also help implement future improvements to Pentax cameras and doesn't require changes to the image sensor or AF hardware.
5) 36MP is enough but a slight increase wouldn't be a bad thing
I don't see any reasonable scenarios where Sony can't or won't produce the sensor for the K-1 any longer, tooling and development costs are over and done with, the demand for large format (too big for smartphones) sensors isn't higher now than it was 5 years ago and Sony is looking for growth in its sensor business, not turn away paying customers. From Ricoh's standpoint, to buy newer, higher resolution sensors means higher prices from Sony and changes to other hardware to take advantage of the new sensor, in return for a relatively small number of incremental sales. The K-1 is still an upgrade for Pentax APS-C owners and going from 36 MP to 42 MP is not going to have a big impact on the number of buyers coming to Pentax from other brands.

The most likely changes to the K-1 will be improvements from the K-3II successor project that can be implemented right away with a minimum of changes to the other components of the K-1. The K-3II successor will have more changes and the resources required to implement all of those changes is what has pushed a K-1 upgrade to the front of the line.
Closed Thread