Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 622 Likes Search this Thread
01-29-2018, 11:36 AM - 1 Like   #316
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Why then tease us with the ‘K-1 Super’ Post In the K-3x thread?

Given demotion of Ricoh in the Brand (Pentax by Ricoh Imaging), lack of any credible news on APSc replacement flagship, Ricoh’s general corporate health, etc. - I grow less comfortable with each passing day.

Acquisition Capital is in China.
Can we at least wait till after CP+ before returning to doom! Now is the time for hype!

---------- Post added 01-30-2018 at 05:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Looks like it can be more in this then what I first got told, but nothing imminent
And those other things that you were told about other formats, are we likely to have some excitement soonish?

01-29-2018, 11:50 AM - 2 Likes   #317

Short product cycles...

Yes, companies are no welfare institutions and need to earn money.

But why do more and more manufacturers continue with ultra short product cycles, do we really want to update our hardware every second year?
Who spends 2000 Euros or more for a camera body that may be outdated just after a couple of months?
But I'm sure many customers would spend even more money, if they know that they make a safe investment...

Anyhow: Instead of introducing somethink like a K-1 II, Ricoh should present more FF lenses! And upgrade the Limited series with DC or SDM motors! Besides the limited selection of current Pentax zooms and primes, less and less third party lenses are available for Pentax cameras.
So why a new camera, if we don't have an adequate choice of lenses?

If Pentax unveils a new top model before we see some attractive new lenses, I'll most likely change the camera system.
I'm tired of it.
01-29-2018, 11:51 AM   #318
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
She typically shoots with the camera writing to both cards and it doesn't take much of a burst to slow the K-1 down.
That's a good point. Actually, since the beginning I was thinking that dual SD slots would each have one dedicated driver / buffer output, just to be disappointed when I discovered that using both SD cards is twice as slow... So I actually use only one SD cards and use the second slot just to moving some selected shots.
01-29-2018, 12:15 PM - 2 Likes   #319
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Flash0815 Quote
Yes, companies are no welfare institutions and need to earn money.

But why do more and more manufacturers continue with ultra short product cycles, do we really want to update our hardware every second year?
Who spends 2000 Euros or more for a camera body that may be outdated just after a couple of months?
But I'm sure many customers would spend even more money, if they know that they make a safe investment...

Anyhow: Instead of introducing somethink like a K-1 II, Ricoh should present more FF lenses! And upgrade the Limited series with DC or SDM motors! Besides the limited selection of current Pentax zooms and primes, less and less third party lenses are available for Pentax cameras.
So why a new camera, if we don't have an adequate choice of lenses?

If Pentax unveils a new top model before we see some attractive new lenses, I'll most likely change the camera system.
I'm tired of it.
You better not switch to Canon, Sony, Fuji, Olympus or Nikon. Their product releases are all more frequent than that of Pentax.

01-29-2018, 12:28 PM   #320
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
Can we at least wait till after CP+ before returning to doom! Now is the time for hype!
Hype is up to Ricoh, not posters on an Internet fan Forum. They do very little to engender long-term customer Brand confidence and Brand choice. Everything is transactional.
01-29-2018, 12:36 PM   #321
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
The A7lll doesnt even exist!
yes, i know, nevermind, call it the greener other side of the fence. I've followed the same folks who were Pentax users and complained about Pentax, they switched to Nikon and had the same rhetoric: pointing out what others have that Nikon don't have etc etc... It's not a matter of the gear you have, it's about the two types of attitude anyone can have about his equipment:
1) understand how it works and be smart on the how-to use it or..
2) question the gear without questioning what it's for an how to take advantage of it.

In my job , I work with old tech, but I know that technology so well that I can make it walk on its head, and it beats consistently the newest machines.... The vendors of the new machines are very frustrated with me, as they can't make a sale. When they venture into competing with me, they get burned, and that makes me laugh.
01-29-2018, 12:43 PM   #322
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Biz, somehow your wires got crossed...D850 only does 7fps and has 45megapixels...it can do 9fps if you attach a grip with 2nd battery.

The A7lll doesnt even exist!
Maybe he meant a7R III

01-29-2018, 12:46 PM - 2 Likes   #323
Pentaxian

Instead of introducing somethink like a K-1 II, Ricoh should present more FF lenses!
The problem is that optical designers are not the same as electronic designers. If PEntax should make a lot of lenses and no new camera in a while, they should send their camera design team on a long sabbatical and triple the size of the optical design team.
01-29-2018, 01:03 PM   #324
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
nevermind, call it the greener other side of the fence
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Maybe he meant a7R III
Yes.......

$$$$ony shooters!
01-29-2018, 01:45 PM   #325

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
@nokishita_c tweeted: リコーが次に発表する一眼レフは「PENTAX K-1 Mark II」になるらしい。いつ頃発表されるかはまだ不明。 #噂
Twitter

Excellent article...thank you so much
01-29-2018, 03:50 PM   #326
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The problem is that optical designers are not the same as electronic designers. If PEntax should make a lot of lenses and no new camera in a while, they should send their camera design team on a long sabbatical and triple the size of the optical design team.
What's the point of building a brand new engine but still use the same old 1960s transmission or vice versa?

Screw drive lens are reliable no argument, use the same formula that grand fathers already used and proved, add fast motors and they will sell like hot cakes!!
01-29-2018, 04:55 PM   #327
Pentaxian

That's a good point. Actually, since the beginning I was thinking that dual SD slots would each have one dedicated driver / buffer output, just to be disappointed when I discovered that using both SD cards is twice as slow... So I actually use only one SD cards and use the second slot just to moving some selected shots.
That may require going to the larger 3-cell battery especially if they upgrade the data rate to UHS-II or better.
01-29-2018, 06:47 PM   #328
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
That may require going to the larger 3-cell battery especially if they upgrade the data rate to UHS-II or better.
Of course that peak current is starting to be relatively significant, typically writing at full speed is about 200mA per card, writing to two cards at the same time shouldn't be an issue for the D-LI90. Other cameras can do it. For the Pentax, there is a bottleneck somewhere between the buffer and the SD controllers, it is an implementation of 2 SD onto a single SD card architecture.
01-29-2018, 07:12 PM - 1 Like   #329
Pentaxian

Of course that peak current is starting to be relatively significant, typically writing at full speed is about 200mA per card, writing to two cards at the same time shouldn't be an issue for the D-LI90. Other cameras can do it. For the Pentax, there is a bottleneck somewhere between the buffer and the SD controllers, it is an implementation of 2 SD onto a single SD card architecture.
200 mA per card might be true for some cards, but the spec for the fastest UHS-II mode (HD312) permits card power consumption levels of up to 2.88 W (or 870 mA @ 3.3 V). That's just the card. The buffer memory system, bus, and card driver chip will also be pulling current as will the rest of the camera's systems (unless the camera locks-up while clearing the buffer).

It's interesting that some of Nikon's cameras only support higher fps when there's a grip with a second battery. Peak power from a standard two-cell battery does limit camera performance.
01-29-2018, 08:30 PM   #330
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
200 mA per card might be true for some cards, but the spec for the fastest UHS-II mode (HD312) permits card power consumption levels of up to 2.88 W (or 870 mA @ 3.3 V). That's just the card. The buffer memory system, bus, and card driver chip will also be pulling current as will the rest of the camera's systems (unless the camera locks-up while clearing the buffer).

It's interesting that some of Nikon's cameras only support higher fps when there's a grip with a second battery. Peak power from a standard two-cell battery does limit camera performance.
SO in other words, not only does the hardware need to be changed, then you have a lot more heat being generated with UHS-II mode. Even in a metal framed camera, that could be a sticking point, and now low lead solders seem to have issues with getting hot and then cooling. I think that was the big problem in the original X-Box and the Red Ring of Death. Also in some Nvidia mobile cards.
Closed Thread