Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2018, 04:49 PM   #346
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Horses are a reliable form of transportation - but they are just as obsolete as the screw drive!

Pentax needs to move their lenses into the 21st century with quick and quiet in-lens motors.

They don't need to retire DA lenses to do that - they could make DFA version because they need more DFA lenses so those currently outside the Pentax tent will understand that Pentax is serious about FF
Just few day ago i add two more lenses from Sigma company.but bitter part conversation was they nothing do more or even planning do more for Pentax
Technical adviser told me very clear not expect from our company any more development or add lnses to Pentax .Pentax not interesting cooperated
same time he point how one new modern adapter MC11 cost around 250 immediately add 23 ART lenses for E Sony mount . as APS or Full frame camera with full functional option
So comment about lenses above very hot topic

01-30-2018, 05:33 PM   #347
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dstar Quote
same time he point how one new modern adapter MC11 cost around 250 immediately add 23 ART lenses for E Sony mount . as APS or Full frame camera with full functional option
They're not native lenses, Dstar, they're adapted, so the autofocus performance is also adapted.

I have an AF adapter for Canon to Sony (I have several EF mount lenses), and the arrangement is terrible.
01-31-2018, 12:31 AM - 2 Likes   #348
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dstar Quote
Just few day ago i add two more lenses from Sigma company.but bitter part conversation was they nothing do more or even planning do more for Pentax
Technical adviser told me very clear not expect from our company any more development or add lnses to Pentax .Pentax not interesting cooperated
So comment about lenses above very hot topic
I’ve heard a few people saying that Sigma support said Ricoh was not cooperative as a reason for not making K-mount lenses. I wish someone would question them about this.

- What kind of “cooperation” do they need?
- They make lenses for Canon and Nikon, so are those companies cooperating? It sounds unlikely to me.
- Sigma used to make K-mount lenses without any issue, but now they need cooperation. Why are they suddenly unable to do that?

It doesn’t make sense. If they said it was lack of sales, I’d believe them. I think they just don’t want to tell customers to their faces that they’ve dropped support, and somehow think they can blame it on Ricoh.
01-31-2018, 01:12 AM   #349
Pentaxian

Sigma are doing some lenses for $$$ony FF,I saw a list of the Art series primes.Its smart business to support a company who are selling plenty of cameras!

Last edited by surfar; 01-31-2018 at 01:30 AM.
01-31-2018, 01:28 AM - 1 Like   #350
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I’ve heard a few people saying that Sigma support said Ricoh was not cooperative as a reason for not making K-mount lenses. I wish someone would question them about this.

- What kind of “cooperation” do they need?
- They make lenses for Canon and Nikon, so are those companies cooperating? It sounds unlikely to me.
- Sigma used to make K-mount lenses without any issue, but now they need cooperation. Why are they suddenly unable to do that?

It doesn’t make sense. If they said it was lack of sales, I’d believe them. I think they just don’t want to tell customers to their faces that they’ve dropped support, and somehow think they can blame it on Ricoh.
I'd say you're spot on. Perhaps they've got the idea from this forum...
01-31-2018, 01:41 AM - 1 Like   #351
Pentaxian

Last time we had to endure brain farts from an incompetent liar about the mechanical aperture mechanism to be the main excuse. Now as that lie has been exposed they spin another tale.
The liars from Dxomark seem to have their brothers working at Sigma PR.
01-31-2018, 01:56 AM   #352
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sigma support said Ricoh was not cooperative

good, don't want sigma, wouldn't touch them with a forty foot barge pole

01-31-2018, 02:01 AM   #353
Pentaxian

Actually I would rather like to have option for Tamron new SP prime&zoom series than any of Sigma offerings, no matter how good reviews say they are. And Tamron seems to have a bit better relation with Ricoh than Sigma ever had.
01-31-2018, 02:05 AM   #354
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

yeah maybe Tamron, but prefer Pentax lenses
01-31-2018, 03:16 AM - 1 Like   #355
JPT
Pentaxian

I’m not trying to say Sigma is dishonest as a company, or even making a judgement about them for deciding that K-mount is not profitable to manufacture for. I just don’t think a telephone support guy on the other side of the world would know the reasons for this kind of decision. I can easily imagine that they might just make this stuff up to sound like they are in the know, and to make it sound like Sigma is not the source of this disappointment.

For what it’s worth, I’ve asked Sigma staff at CP+ for the last two years about K-mount support. Their response has been that they do support K-mount, and to point me to the numerous lenses that they sell in K-mount. They also said they didn’t have any news about new products. That sounds like the official answer to me.

My feeling is that if they do make a K-mount lens in future, it will be renewal of an existing lens that has a good record of sales in the past - something like the APS-C 17-50 f2.8 or the latest super zoom. I don’t think they would helpfully release products to fill in the holes in the Pentax line-up.
01-31-2018, 03:27 AM   #356
Veteran Member

But Sigma did APS and FF lenses for ~ 10 years when Pentax did not have an FF camera.
When K1 came, Sigma stopped all new (including FF lenses). Logically?
Focus Nordic, which imports Pentax and Tamron into Scandinavia, pressed Tamron to bring 150-600 in Pentax mount.
But it seams Tamron rather produces Pentax lenses instead.
Probably, there will be autofocus lenses for Pentax from Korea and China.
01-31-2018, 03:46 AM   #357
Pentaxian

I had a chance to see a fully disassembled Sigma Art 35/1.4 for Pentax, and one for Canon. To be honest difference is in maybe in 10 parts of mechanical of aperture coupling not counting the lens mount and contacts, almost all of them fixed to the rear chassis element or mount inner black ring(spring and aperture lever) and single flex connector. Of course mount swap would also require to flash lens EPROM firmware, but as I can remember lens circuit board was the same. I don't know how much the manufacture cost of K mount version would be, but that was not looking like rocket science to me. Genuine Canon USM lenses are way more complicated in build and assembly process.
01-31-2018, 04:18 AM - 1 Like   #358
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sigma doesn't make new lenses for Pentax because they don't sell. Of course, by that standard, they shouldn't make them for their own cameras either, but clearly that is different. There may be some technical reasons too, but those certainly are not insurmountable if sales were high enough.
01-31-2018, 05:38 AM - 1 Like   #359
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Sigma doesn't make new lenses for Pentax because they don't sell. Of course, by that standard, they shouldn't make them for their own cameras either, but clearly that is different. There may be some technical reasons too, but those certainly are not insurmountable if sales were high enough.
Sigma basically use the same communication protocol between lens and camera as Canon, so it is very little that differs on Sigma lenses designed for their own mount and for Canon. So if they have the lens designed for Canon they get their own version almost for free or vice versa.

Sigma SA-mount - Wikipedia
01-31-2018, 06:03 AM   #360
Pentaxian

I don’t think they would helpfully release products to fill in the holes in the Pentax line-up.
Releasing a lens that fills a hole in the Pentax line up seems like a good way to ensure it sells... but maybe it still would not sell enough.
Closed Thread