Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2018, 01:41 PM   #496
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
And how would they attract those 'new buyers' if they don't release a K-1 Mk II?

Be it a K-1 or a minor update, at this point it's mostly sold to non-K-1 owners - I'd venture to guess. Perhaps a minor update improving one or two annoying things would make that easier, while not being costly to develop.
Or maybe it's not a minor update.
Whatever it is they have to tell people about it, and price the telling part into the buying part.

02-06-2018, 01:42 PM   #497
Pentaxian

You can't possibly talk about... marketing...
02-06-2018, 02:40 PM   #498
Veteran Member

Let's place the bets what comes first - K-1 II or firmware update for K-1 that was suppose to be released "within hours or days" more than a month ago

Even if it comes out, I'll wait a while to upgrade K-1, so far it does exactly what I want it to do)
02-06-2018, 04:36 PM   #499
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Though Kenspo wrote ‘Tic Tac’, which is a tiny candy, so maybe it is a new Q 🙂

I suspect, however, that we’ll see two new Flagship bodies at CP+

I also suspect that the K1 SE or whatever will be a mild though significant hardware upgrade - something firmware can’t do (4K?, 42 Mp?) in the same form factor.

I’m hoping the K3 replacement is a more significant upgrade.

-Eric

02-06-2018, 04:45 PM - 1 Like   #500
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tic Tac is the name of a future Android version "T" which is what runs on the new K-1 Mark II, as it also doubles as a smart phone.
02-06-2018, 05:01 PM   #501

Photos: Gallery
Pentax (Ricoh) has always been good at delivering innovative ideas that the small part of the market desires, and they always underprice the competition. They scored big with the pixel shift and astro innovations, with the 645Z, K-3, K-1, etc. being solid values. But what is lacking now? Outside of better video (not significant for me) the answer is focusing, specifically a chip that locks onto an eye making wide-open portraitures and headshots easier. Pentax won't be the first, but it won't matter if they do it right at their usually competitive pricing.
02-06-2018, 05:17 PM - 2 Likes   #502
Veteran Member

Well, for the K1 II, more AF points and wider coverage, greater frames per second, larger buffer, lighter weight body. Definitely needs USB 3.0 support that should have been in the original K1. That's on the pure image front.

Of course, finally a video upgrade.

02-06-2018, 05:20 PM - 6 Likes   #503

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
You can't possibly talk about... marketing...
First rule of Pentax marketing is you must not talk about Pentax marketing.
02-06-2018, 07:32 PM   #504
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwipixter Quote
you must not talk about Pentax marketing.
Ricoh dont,that word isnt in their dictionary.
02-06-2018, 09:45 PM   #505

OK now I'm hype about what it could be! I do agree though that if theres to be a k3-3 it'd be quite expensive. 2K+ aud. And I paid less then that for the k1, so a MK11 with a 42mp sensor is enough to hold its price up closer to 3k. That all being said I'm more excited to see what an apsc update can do with the mighty 150-450 that is in some amazing hands here then the new k1. I think the k1 itself is a classic, and I'm sure a mkII will just be a refreshening and keep the numbers on the compareo screens similar to the competition. Which are both well over 4k down here.

Man what an exciting time to be a Pentaxian
02-06-2018, 10:02 PM - 2 Likes   #506
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bibz Quote
Man what an exciting time to be a Pentaxian
Yesterday Pentax was Doomed, today it is an exciting time to be a Pentaxian. Not sure if I can handle the stress of the roller coaster ride. I might have to cancel my internet access for about a month.........................
02-06-2018, 10:07 PM   #507
Pentaxian

Currently we are waiting for lenses and Pentax keeps discontinuing cameras - K1ii sounds like a reborn Phoenix at the moment.
02-06-2018, 10:12 PM - 1 Like   #508
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Yesterday Pentax was Doomed, today it is an exciting time to be a Pentaxian. Not sure if I can handle the stress of the roller coaster ride. I might have to cancel my internet access for about a month.........................
Easiest solution is to keep calm and shoot Pentax. The internet is a distraction...
02-06-2018, 10:12 PM   #509
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I suspect the original K-1 will be for Pentax what the D700 was/is for Nikon. A solid performer with excellent dynamic range that stands the test of time. Yes, there has been the D6xx, D750, D8xx, with all their advances/quality control issues, but watching the turnover in listings for D700’s on our local Craig’s List, the D700 is still a highly sought after body. My hope is that Pentax does the next iteration of the K-1 proud and doesn’t waste resources on a D6xx or D750 kind of body. Quality matters and I think Pentax excels in that realm. The current K-1 will inevitably sell for $650 someday too. Like those fortunate to get a D700 for that amount today, anyone who buys one will know they are holding/working with something special, namely the camera body equivalent of Pixie Dust :-)
02-06-2018, 10:32 PM - 1 Like   #510
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
haha I know you jest, and I'm very late to the game. However, I came to the conclusion relatively recently that forums and online commenting systems are largely rather unhealthy (no. way. I know!)... simply due to the incessant tug of war that occurs between opposing PoVs that try to out muscle each other for the dominant, chosen PoV. I tried and tried to participate in those types of 'discussions' myself only to realize now it was a waste of time even if what I said was correct.

As a result, I find it is nice to log off, or at least avoid the comment sections, more often than not to regain some sanity.. instead of staying glued to the threads, refreshing often.

That and these news and rumors threads tend to be one nugget of information and 50 resulting pages of everyone weighing in how they feel about that.

So maybe you are on to something.. in essence.
Closed Thread