Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2018, 11:49 AM   #541

From what's rumored here, sounds like all the Pentax system will need is better 3rd party flash/lens support then we're gucci

02-07-2018, 12:12 PM - 2 Likes   #542
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
As most people understand, I can't share details or much at all at this time..But a lot of stuff is going on. Im excited
Now you see, that is all I needed to read.

If Ricoh is busy doing a lot of "stuff" and Kenspo is excited, then all the other negative, sky is falling worries about what this discontinuation means are history for me.

Looking forward to finding out whatever has got you excited Ken, it can only be good news for us!
Eric
02-07-2018, 12:13 PM   #543

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
@nokishita_c tweeted: リコーが次に発表する一眼レフは「PENTAX K-1 Mark II」になるらしい。いつ頃発表されるかはまだ不明。 #噂
Twitter
...the translation is:
It seems that Ricoh's next SLR will be "PENTAX K - 1 Mark II". It is still unknown when it will be announced. #rumor

Read more at: K-1 Mark II! - PentaxForums.com
02-07-2018, 12:26 PM - 1 Like   #544

These will be the longest 3 weeks ever. I hope I get it before summer vacation. I've already invested in a few FF lens and a good flashgun, which improved my pictures tremendously, so now time for the body upgrade.

02-07-2018, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #545
Administrator
Site Webmaster

What if they release the K-1 II with an updated sensor and image engine, and then follow it up with a FF GR featuring the K-1's old sensor? That would (hopefully) allow them to keep the price of the GR in check.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-07-2018, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #546
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
What if they release the K-1 II with an updated sensor and image engine, and then follow it up with a FF GR featuring the K-1's old sensor? That would (hopefully) allow them to keep the price of the GR in check.
I don't pretend to know anything, but wouldn't your GR scenario would be in conflict with the theory that the K1 sensor is out of production...?

To be completely frank, I'd be happy with same sensor and updated processing power and buffer memory, and the new AF firmware. I really think half the AF speed issues are lack of CPU power, which is why when you disable all the whiz bang tweaks and shoot straight RAW to a single card, the AF seems to be a bit snappier. (No, I'm not saying D500 AF, just more industry standard performance would be good enough for me) Add a few more cross type points and enlarge the area, fix the preferred card write selection issue, and I'm good to go.
Eric
02-07-2018, 02:16 PM - 2 Likes   #547
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
I don't pretend to know anything, but wouldn't your GR scenario would be in conflict with the theory that the K1 sensor is out of production...?

To be completely frank, I'd be happy with same sensor and updated processing power and buffer memory, and the new AF firmware. I really think half the AF speed issues are lack of CPU power, which is why when you disable all the whiz bang tweaks and shoot straight RAW to a single card, the AF seems to be a bit snappier. (No, I'm not saying D500 AF, just more industry standard performance would be good enough for me) Add a few more cross type points and enlarge the area, fix the preferred card write selection issue, and I'm good to go.
Eric
It would, but who said the sensor needs to be in production still? If they have a stash of those sensors still, they could end K-1 production early, switch the K-1 II over to new sensors, and make GR's with the old ones.

All speculation of course.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-07-2018, 03:18 PM   #548
Veteran Member

It would, but who said the sensor needs to be in production still? If they have a stash of those sensors still, they could end K-1 production early, switch the K-1 II over to new sensors, and make GR's with the old ones.

All speculation of course.
What happens if a FF GR is a sales hit and pentax runs out of spare sensors?
02-07-2018, 03:20 PM   #549
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by serothis Quote
What happens if a FF GR is a sales hit and pentax runs out of spare sensors?
They would create a GR IIIS(econd) like Fuji did with the X100F /S /T / F
02-07-2018, 04:04 PM   #550
ogl
Banned

GRIII must have new sensor. no 16 MP APS-C anymore.
02-07-2018, 04:26 PM   #551
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Huh.

What if?
02-07-2018, 06:23 PM   #552
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
I really think half the AF speed issues are lack of CPU power, which is why when you disable all the whiz bang tweaks and shoot straight RAW to a single card, the AF seems to be a bit snappier. (No, I'm not saying D500 AF, just more industry standard performance would be good enough for me) Add a few more cross type points and enlarge the area, fix the preferred card write selection issue, and I'm good to go.
Eric
My understanding is that Nikon gets their high-power AF by having a dedicated processor which does AF only.
02-07-2018, 11:43 PM   #553
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
GRIII must have new sensor. no 16 MP APS-C anymore.
To keep its existing compact size and lens design for same price segment, easiest would be to use the sensor in KP for new GR.

If they were to design FF version of GR, the size and cost would increase and make it less desirable to some people.
02-08-2018, 12:58 AM - 1 Like   #554
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What if they release the K-1 II with an updated sensor and image engine,
It so, I'd expect a significant bump of the price, something like 3500 euros, on par with other brands.
02-08-2018, 01:07 AM - 1 Like   #555
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
It so, I'd expect a significant bump of the price, something like 3500 euros, on par with other brands
Ironically, that might not be too bad for sales in a small market - people who are serious about what they do are always looking to buy and edge for the exclusivity the extra cost gives them. After decades of being perceived as a value brand rather than a premium brand that might be difficult, but it looks like the direction of travel - even if it requires a slightly different user base.
Closed Thread