Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 622 Likes Search this Thread
02-09-2018, 12:30 AM   #586
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I think the early announcement of the 11-18 suggests that this is Pentax way of telling that there is an APS 11-18 lens coming in awhile.

However, the term 'flagship' is vague. Some might see the K-3 II as the flagship, while others might see a D500 level crop body as a flagship. If the news is true, Ricoh might see the KP as the flagship.

Not directed at you, But I do find it interesting that when asahiman is speaking of things PF members want to hear, they accept the rumor lock stock and barrel. When he speaks of things people do not want to hear, they are very skeptical and dismissive.
Asahiman had some some great insider knowledge during the pentax and Hoya days, but under Ricoh intel has not been getting out.

02-09-2018, 01:42 AM - 1 Like   #587
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
It's going to be hard for anyone to recommend the Mark II to a new entrant with these glaring deficiencies left unfixed this long.
The idea of the K1 Mark II is to solve the shutter shock issue while putting forwards some other features/tweaks on the K1 II (doing so avoids to acknowledge the shutter shock issue. In fact some people have not even noticed it because their eye sight is aging, so they are happy with the K1, although it resolves less than what it should). They couldn't release primes lenses for the K1, because the shutter shock would be so visible. That's why there was so much drag in 2017, and a K1 Mark II this year along with new lenses. Shutter shock is something RI are very aware of, they can measure it is the lab, shutter shock is relate to how the cavity and shutter mechanism are designed, and on the K1 they could postpone the release again to fix this issue, so they decided to release the K1 anyway. The 50mm 1.4 is certainly already available, but using it on the K1 might not deliver what the lens can do for its size and quality of glass.
02-09-2018, 01:59 AM   #588
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The idea of the K1 Mark II is to solve the shutter shock issue while putting forwards some other features/tweaks on the K1 II (doing so avoids to acknowledge the shutter shock issue. In fact some people have not even noticed it because their eye sight is aging, so they are happy with the K1, although it resolves less than what it should). They couldn't release primes lenses for the K1, because the shutter shock would be so visible. That's why there was so much drag in 2017, and a K1 Mark II this year along with new lenses. Shutter shock is something RI are very aware of, they can measure it is the lab, shutter shock is relate to how the cavity and shutter mechanism are designed, and on the K1 they could postpone the release again to fix this issue, so they decided to release the K1 anyway. The 50mm 1.4 is certainly already available, but using it on the K1 might not deliver what the lens can do for its size and quality of glass.
We could see some significant improvements in the K1ii. The 42mp sensor has a much better read out speed which would improve both frame rate and video. A tweaked Shutter mechanism as you mention, and last but not least an updated AF module like we saw between the K5 and K5ii.

---------- Post added 02-09-2018 at 08:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
I'm excited for a K-1 Mark II but let's face it...it's been two years and we've gotten NONE of the new lenses on the roadmap. That should be a priority for Pentax. Not having a modern 35mm, 50mm, and 85mm this deep into the product's life time is almost a joke.

It's going to be hard for anyone to recommend the Mark II to a new entrant with these glaring deficiencies left unfixed this long. That makes me wonder whether the Mark II is going to be an incremental update, like a K-1 with better AF.
If their happy with the existing lens selection, then there is no reason not to recomend a K1ii. The FA limiteds can still take better photos than most modern primes, especially when a lot of CA has a one click solution. And don’t forget they come with stabilisation and pixel shift. If these new primes deliver Otus like quality that would just add to the appeal!

Last edited by robjmitchell; 02-09-2018 at 02:19 AM.
02-09-2018, 04:54 AM - 1 Like   #589
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To be honest, I think too much is being made of this shutter shock issue - I've never noticed any issue that couldn't be put down to other factors (not saying it doesn't exist - I won't argue with other people's experience - just that it's not a major flaw as far as I can see) - and my eyesight is fine.

02-09-2018, 05:26 AM   #590
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm a rabid pixel peeper and don't think I've ever observed shutter shock with my K1. I don't have the 28-105 - using the 24-70, so maybe I'm being dampened by the heavier lens, but I've certainly have taken plenty of pictures with things like my 43 that don't have much mass to them, and they all seem great for sharpness. That said, you can read about shutter shock on pretty much any DSLR if you go digging. Feel like it's a fish flopping around on the floor - really hard to wrap your hands around what's really going on for who and why.
02-09-2018, 05:58 AM   #591
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have seen the effects of shutter shock on both my Pentax-m 28mm 3.5 and 40mm 2.8. A shot at 1/20th second was perfectly sharp. 1/125 shutter shock. Maybe the shuttershock resonates with sr at certain shutter speeds. Maybe heavier lenses influence shake enough to cancel it out again.
02-09-2018, 06:42 AM   #592
Pentaxian

"K1 Mark II is to solve the shutter shock issue", I hope that this will be true, despite some of us don't recognize this problem this is easily reproducible.

02-09-2018, 06:53 AM   #593
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The idea of the K1 Mark II is to solve the shutter shock issue while putting forwards some other features/tweaks on the K1 II (doing so avoids to acknowledge the shutter shock issue. *snip*
Is this fact or speculation?
02-09-2018, 07:04 AM   #594
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
despite some of us don't recognize this problem this is easily reproducible.
My problem is not lack of recognition, it's inability to make it happen - it must be specific to lenses I don't have, such as the 28-105 (I've only got an old FA version)
02-09-2018, 07:07 AM - 1 Like   #595
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
Asahiman had some some great insider knowledge during the pentax and Hoya days, but under Ricoh intel has not been getting out.

Yepp..They are TIGHT on whats leaking out. Im the last loose canon left
02-09-2018, 07:24 AM   #596

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Yepp..They are TIGHT on whats leaking out. Im the last loose canon left
So You can confirm that asahi man's intel is meagre?
02-09-2018, 07:27 AM   #597

I've never seen the shutter shock. Under what conditions is it generally seen? Smaller primes and hand held? I have all the FA31/43/77 limiteds and the FA85*//1.4 to test out and the DFA 24-70 &70-200.
02-09-2018, 07:30 AM   #598
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
My problem is not lack of recognition, it's inability to make it happen - it must be specific to lenses I don't have, such as the 28-105 (I've only got an old FA version)
It's easy:
-zoom or fixed light "wide - medium tele" (28-105 / 24-90 / 31 limited / etc..) set to wide side (between 24 and 35).
-SR off. SR helps this behavior.
-times between 1/125 and 1/250. Depends by lens.
-handheld or tripod.
-no BG.
-repeat with electronic first curtain.

Compare images.

Last edited by Andrea K; 02-09-2018 at 07:54 AM.
02-09-2018, 07:46 AM - 3 Likes   #599
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by x4rd Quote
So You can confirm that asahi man's intel is meagre?
Asahi man's intel is melting down... just a spectre of what it once was
02-09-2018, 07:54 AM - 1 Like   #600
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Asahi man's intel is melting down... just a spectre of what it once was
Good one
But most might not get it I'm afraid.
Closed Thread