Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2018, 11:52 AM   #616
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
It's easy:
-zoom or fixed light "wide - medium tele" (28-105 / 24-90 / 31 limited / etc..) set to wide side (between 24 and 35).
-SR off. SR helps this behavior.
-times between 1/125 and 1/250. Depends by lens.
-handheld or tripod.
-no BG.
-repeat with electronic first curtain.

Compare images.
seems a lot of trouble to go to to spot a possible problem with your camera - I can't think of any situations where the small difference I see (admittedly in a statistically insignificant sample) would matter enough but where there wasn't an easy workaround

02-09-2018, 12:14 PM - 1 Like   #617
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I have to say that Pentaxians relationship with Pentax reminds me of a Grandfather driving his grandchildren on vacation.
Interesting analogy. I think it fits if we consider ourselves to be 'grandchildren', who generally don't have the patience or the spirit to enjoy the journey towards a destination. For me, the journey with my current Pentax gear allows me to enjoy and use it today and tomorrow, while anticipating the potential of new, better gear in the future. Unlike a child on the road trip, I am as happy with the journey as I am with the notion that new and improved cameras and lenses might be on the horizon. The horizon might not be around the next bend on the road, and I guess that uncertaintly is a cause of angst amongst Pentaxians.

Sure, our current gear is not perfect, but it's very good, as reflected in the many positive reviews, comments, and images that have been posted here by many photographers over the years. Fortunately, the lack of news and lack of apparent progress by Ricoh/Pentax doesn't make our current equipment useless or obsolete.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 02-09-2018 at 12:21 PM.
02-09-2018, 12:27 PM - 5 Likes   #618
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
The point is that the platform is exactly where it was 2 years ago when it was released. It sends the message of "Don't expect anything else to come out" to the consumers. Right now, Pentax is saying "Hey, we have these 15+ year old lenses as our top stock for this fancy camera and that's all we have....and will have, or so it seems."

Let's look at Fuji's medium format debut. It came out almost exactly a year ago and has all this:

GFX | Fujifilm Global

That's way more development than we've seen for the K-1 in half the time. Fuji doesn't have some magically enormous marketshare either. A friend of mine had the 645Z and sold out of it. While he loved the camera, he had no confidence in Pentax's roadmap and found Fuji's plans to be more promising and more likely to deliver. THAT's the problem.
Your friend is victim of shiny object syndrome. How in the world could Pentax's roadmap affect the pictures he can take RIGHT NOW with all the lenses available for the 645Z? At the very least, he should have waited until Fuji actually matched Pentax (assuming Fuji ever does).

The age of a lens design does not matter. Lenses aren't like chips and sensors that double in performance every couple of years. The physical laws of refraction have not changed in 14 billion years. The advantage of existing lens designs, even if they are old, is that they are well known in terms of resolution, distortion, rendering, handling, etc. A roadmapped lens might be great or it might suck. Relying on Fuji's roadmap seems like the riskier choice.
02-09-2018, 12:47 PM   #619
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Shame you aren’y Head of product planning with a liberal budget at your disposal. I like the idea of cropping my DA Limiteds on my K-1; I have mode n FF zooms, my legacy manual lenses and also my KP. For me anyway the future is bright.
Monochrome I am not asking for a liberal budget. I am just asking them to put their resources in the right directions. It took a liberal budget spending mind set to create the Q. It could have been just as easily spent developing a Micro43 Q.

02-09-2018, 01:21 PM   #620
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Damn it, I'm getting hyped for the new body. If it's not a huge mark up, I might know what my tax refund goes towards)

I love the k-1, but it certainly has its issues. The way I mostly use it, it works wonders (on tripod, with a remote and ES enabled). But I also want to be able to shoot vacation shots instead of using my phone (ugh) or buying another camera (money I'd rather spend on upgrading lenses), and here af just isn't as good. Someone I know just brought their d500 with a new Tammy 70-200 attached, and I finally saw what a truly great af system can do. Speed and precision is mind blowing. If k-1 II is closer to that in af, I might have to reconsider my "not upgrading till mark 3" position

I definitely see shutter shock as well , and in wider range than most (I guess I pulled a short straw with my body).

Last edited by awscreo; 02-09-2018 at 05:07 PM.
02-09-2018, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #621
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
Monochrome I am not asking for a liberal budget. I am just asking them to put their resources in the right directions. It took a liberal budget spending mind set to create the Q. It could have been just as easily spent developing a Micro43 Q.
Overall the Q was an interresting try. m4/3 market was already full. Q failed. But they tried something. m4/3 would have been "me too"
02-09-2018, 05:00 PM   #622
Pentaxian

Is that a teaser, on the other site?

02-09-2018, 05:32 PM   #623
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kunzite Quote
is that a teaser, on the other site?
0218?
02-09-2018, 05:52 PM   #624
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Attached Images

02-09-2018, 06:04 PM   #625
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That image doesn't look like a K-1, but it isn't quite like any other camera either. If it's full frame, it's tiny. Actually, it looks more like a K-70 than anything else.

Feb 18 would be a Sunday - unlikely. So what else could it mean?
02-09-2018, 06:06 PM - 1 Like   #626
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
That image doesn't look like a K-1, but it isn't quite like any other camera either. If it's full frame, it's tiny. Actually, it looks more like a K-70 than anything else.

Feb 18 would be a Sunday - unlikely. So what else could it mean?
Date would be dd-mm-yy, so something-Feb-2018
02-09-2018, 06:20 PM   #627
Pentaxian

Let's look at Fuji's medium format debut. It came out almost exactly a year ago and has all this:
That's way more development than we've seen for the K-1 in half the time.
Yes, and much more in the pipeline.Another body rumoured this year thats a "rangefinder" style but similar capability to 50s.However, the price if correct(from Rumours) will win lots of customers.US39/4000.2019 brings the 100s with the 100mpx Sony sensor.By then there will be a few more lenses i expect.Throw in the fact the adapter scene is expanding(EF mount AF,manual for the Fuji made hasselblad glass) and that system has lots to offer.
02-09-2018, 06:21 PM   #628
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MrNPhoto Quote
Date would be dd-mm-yy, so something-Feb-2018
Good point. That must be it.

It does look quite like a K-70 around the mount and prism, but the top deck is different. There's a control to the right of the prism and the shutter button is different.
02-09-2018, 06:28 PM   #629
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Your friend is victim of shiny object syndrome.
That might be the case? OR he saw a company on the ascent and chose that path.
02-09-2018, 06:44 PM   #630
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
To be honest, I think too much is being made of this shutter shock issue - I've never noticed any issue that couldn't be put down to other factors (not saying it doesn't exist - I won't argue with other people's experience - just that it's not a major flaw as far as I can see) - and my eyesight is fine.
+1
Just urban legend AFAIK.
Or Mirrorless Fake Obsession.
Closed Thread