Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2018, 02:38 AM   #811
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
I think also that the "accelerator unit" is a marketing stuff.
Have you used a KP? The high ISO performance is remarkable. I'm *very* interested to see how that performs on the K-1 platform.

02-15-2018, 02:48 AM - 2 Likes   #812
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Have you used a KP? The high ISO performance is remarkable. I'm *very* interested to see how that performs on the K-1 platform.
For me, this is very good! Cant wait to get my cameras to see how much better the total upgrade is.
02-15-2018, 02:50 AM   #813
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
Those who write about 42 megapixels do not own a k-1.

Put in your mind that this is only a firmware update masked as a new model, I think also that the "accelerator unit" is a marketing stuff.
The KP is able to hold the same resolution and dynamic range up to ISO 1600 as for example C's Fullframe 6D. It beats all compared sensors for DR in the range above ISO 800, at least first tests indicate that. Including D850.

Pentax K3ii officially discontinued - Page 26 - PentaxForums.com
02-15-2018, 02:52 AM - 1 Like   #814
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Funny, 5 posts in a row of ignored users.
Sign of bad (moaning) times
^^ Exactly the same for me!

02-15-2018, 03:08 AM   #815
ogl
Banned

The photography is the light. We are feed up with new high ISO in new cameras. Maybe I'm conservative, but I use most of time ISO80-200 and very rare 250-400.
Yes. I have some photos at ISO800-3200. Not above 100 pcs....

Nobody cares about absolutely clean lower ISO at CMOS sensors.
02-15-2018, 03:21 AM - 4 Likes   #816
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
The photography is the light. We are feed up with new high ISO in new cameras. Maybe I'm conservative, but I use most of time ISO80-200 and very rare 250-400.
Yes. I have some photos at ISO800-3200. Not above 100 pcs....

Nobody cares about absolutely clean lower ISO at CMOS sensors.
We're all different in our requirements. A huge number of my shots are taken between ISO 1600 and 6400. Some, higher still. My single biggest requirement from post-processing software is effective colour noise reduction at higher ISOs. After that, it's shadow and highlight recovery. Given that, I'll never be fed up with improvements in detail, noise and dynamic range at higher ISOs.

Photography may be the light, but often there's simply not enough of it. Shooting at f/1.4, or with long exposures, just isn't viable for certain types of shot. Often, you need a reasonably high shutter speed to capture movement, or you need f/8 to get the required depth of field. Occasionally, you need both. In lower light, that means high ISO.

Your use cases might not require more than ISO 400 most of the time, but as I said, we're all different
02-15-2018, 04:04 AM   #817
Pentaxian

The high ISO values do seem a bit ridiculous. However, improvements affect the whole scale. For example, the noise performance of my K-70 at ISO 3200 looks at least as clean to me as that of my K-3 at ISO 1600.

Philip

02-15-2018, 04:12 AM   #818
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm not a huge high iso person, but if you have kids (I do) and you even occasionally take photos indoors (I do) then you have to use isos in the 3200 range just to get a decent exposure.

The reason to get the 42 megapixel sensor would have been for faster frame rates and better video. It also would have bumped cost of the camera up to 500-ish dollars and would have given slightly worse low iso shooting (lower dynamic range) in exchange for slight improvement in isos over 1600.

Being honest, I think we are bothered that Pentax bothered to update the K-1 at all. It is a decent camera, none of us were thinking it really needed replacing now, and there are things that they should be working on. But, from Pentax's standpoint, this was easily done -- tacking hardware from existing projects -- accelerator chip and new SR module. Anything else would require a complete overhaul - a complete new processing engine and a lot longer testing period. And the leaks didn't come from Pentax, they haven't been the source of any of this fanfare.

Just on a side note, I do feel the problems with auto focus are overblown. If you are using the modern DFA zooms the K-1 is fine with keeping up with moderate action and auto focuses quite quickly. It isn't a sporting camera, but at 4.4 fps it wouldn't be anyway. I think it is tougher with older screw driven lenses because the focus mechanism isn't precise enough to allow it to achieve perfect focus with moving targets.
02-15-2018, 04:13 AM   #819
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
For me, this is very good! Cant wait to get my cameras to see how much better the total upgrade is.
Cameras, plural? Are you hinting at something?
02-15-2018, 04:20 AM   #820
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
The teaser from Asahi Man was clearly an new crop camera. It's quite possibly that this is the one to get exited about. Especially for crop shooters. Should compete well against Fuji's new overpriced many maker.
02-15-2018, 04:35 AM - 2 Likes   #821
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I'm not a huge high iso person, but if you have kids (I do) and you even occasionally take photos indoors (I do) then you have to use isos in the 3200 range just to get a decent exposure.
Ah, parents nowadays, you’re so spoiled! I used my LX with the M-50/1.7 and 400 ASA film when my kids were small. So I had to choose between too shallow DOF with moving targets and manual focus or too slow shutter with moving targets I still got some good shots, and I got very good at holding my camera steady (shooting handheld at 1/15 without SR)!
02-15-2018, 04:43 AM   #822
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
The teaser from Asahi Man was clearly an new crop camera.
Was it from Asahiman, or from a German forum (and I'm not sure that's where it first appeared either)?
Since it looks like a darkened K-5, and there's no official teaser campaign days before a timely announcement, I'm calling it a fake.

That's not the same as saying Pentax has no plans for APS-C. Not even close.
02-15-2018, 06:08 AM - 1 Like   #823
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Using K-1 in crop mode.... Is this serious ?
Don't use my K-1 in crop mode, but when shooting humming birds in what always seems to be light that is pushing my K3II, I have times I wish I had a bit more on the K-1 - these guys are small, and sometimes you crop and enlarge quite a bit. Getting them to fill the frame just isn't happening, even with my 150-450, so yes, a few more pixels in that part of the frame would be nice. Oh, and they are insanely fast. Any improvement in AF speed would be welcome. I tell them to hold the pose a split second, but they just keep humming away. And then there's frame rate when trying to snag the little suckers. Yes, a couple extra FPS would be nice. This is where the 42MP sensor from Sony looked attractive too.

Overall, very pleased with my K-1. In fact, it's so good that being on a limited budget, just what has been leaked about the -II, makes me say that I don't have any reason I can justify to go spend that type of money for an upgrade. The assumed improvements in low noise would be very nice to have - I could get even higher shutter speed chasing those little hummers, but I don't think in my position I can justify the outlay for the improvement.

As to all the disparaging of the new Sony 42 sensor, I just don't know. I'm still learning on the fly, and it would seem others have more time to go dig into some of these aspects than I do. On the surface, it appears attractive, but perhaps it's not.

Regardless of what is announced in a few weeks, I don't get the doom and gloom people seem to have. The K-1 is great. The -II looks to be a nice improvement. It will obviously be up to the individual to determine if it's worth the upgrade for their situation. For some, I'm sure it will be.
02-15-2018, 06:21 AM - 1 Like   #824
Pentaxian

I think that @Kenspo got 2 K-1s at the same time to test the camera, so maybe that's the case for K-1 MKII too.
02-15-2018, 06:21 AM - 1 Like   #825
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
He's a pro, Mistral, you need a backup body.

Closed Thread