Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 622 Likes Search this Thread
02-15-2018, 11:53 AM - 1 Like   #841
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Where I live, New Orleans, night time is when everything happens. I rarely bring out my camera because at f1.8 and 1/90 at 3200 iso i still have to push 1.5 stops in post. F1.8 is usually to shallow. 1/90 is usually to slow. 3200+ is usually to noisy. Give me a +1.5 stops for aperture, +1.5 for shutter and +1.5 for iso and frustration transforms to joy. Seems like this upgrade puts it close to joy. I want to see what iso 12800-25600 is like.
I'm wondering about this - this is ISO 6400 (on the K-1) - I might have done a tiny bit of noise reduction in LR, but not enough to degrade the image - and SR makes slower shutter speeds much more practical (thus was 1/60s at f/2.8 with the 31mm ltd) How low ARE the light levels you are shooting in?

02-15-2018, 01:38 PM   #842
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Inside at night so dark you can't see what beers are on a shelf 10 feet away. Bands are barely lit by crappy leds with huge gaps in the spectrum.
02-15-2018, 01:49 PM - 5 Likes   #843
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Would people be happier if Pentax had not announced a full frame update, but there were rumors that came out that APS-C flagship was coming out this fall?

Just because you are hungry for meatloaf doesn't mean you should be upset when the waiter brings you salad first. But Pentaxians are some of the hangriest people I know.
02-15-2018, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #844
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
The photography is the light. We are feed up with new high ISO in new cameras. Maybe I'm conservative, but I use most of time ISO80-200 and very rare 250-400.
People who shoot night landscapes do not get fed up with lower noise or higher ISO.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The reason to get the 42 megapixel sensor would have been for faster frame rates
The K-1 36mp sensor isn't the sole arbiter of frame rate. Even if the 42mp sensor can be read faster, the rumored mark2 is still using the same shutter and memory bus. If Ricoh manages a new sensor, new shutter, and new memory architecture it will be a new model instead of just a mark2 designation.

02-15-2018, 02:19 PM   #845
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Inside at night so dark you can't see what beers are on a shelf 10 feet away. Bands are barely lit by crappy leds with huge gaps in the spectrum.
I respectfully suggest that's too much of a challenge for any camera right now. The "low" resolution Sony A7SII might be a better choice for situations like this, but even that has limits And it's not the best choice when you're shooting daylight landscapes... Horses for courses, and all that
02-15-2018, 02:52 PM   #846
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Even Samsung's is more optimistic - on the other forums there are (obviously fake, but don't tell them!) rumors speaking about their camera division's resurgence.
AFAIK not fake ... but more "justifiable rumours" those are caused by
SAMSUNG showing off their CPU skills, by planting their new EXYNOS chipset into a heavily modified NX1 ...that misleads to speculations about a Samsung NX1 Mark II...
what would be a hard to beat competitor for PENTAX if their userbase gains ground.

just look at the specs of the NX1 from 2014... it had:
Hybrid AF
208 AF Points
15fps burst RAW FORMAT!!(whilst holdin focus i fancy)-(made possible by reducing to 12-bit) for 23 frames then it goes down to 2fps in RAW mode.
EVEN when its buffer is full, it holds its own against the K-1 when talking about burst rate.... because when you only shoot JPGS it shoots 53 before it slows down to 5fps unlimited burst.
4K Video
UHS-II support
weather resistant
USB 3.0
remember that was 2014 ...

Pentax K-1 came out in 2016
and offered
same ol AF with app.. 33 af-points??
4fps burst mode what format so ever.
25p or 30p FullHD video recording... even 50 frames is i(nterpolated)
UHS-I
USB 2.0

the new Showcase Product NX1 Mark II
is nearly the same i guess, but since it has the Exynos CPU and is only made for showin off SAMSUNGS power, rumours say it will offer:
maybe also a new sensor that never was released, so more megapixel, but who cares about more megapixels beyond 24...?
even higher bursts(if buffer memspeed allows it)
6K 6720*4480 @ 30fps (full sensor) video...
with "type C USB 3.1"/"display port" as a 4K/5K video output...
NFC, Bluetooth 5,
CFexpress port
etc., etc.

so ...LOL... for petes sake... dear Pentaxians, lets be happy its only a showcase product and Samsung gave up on dedicated consumer/stills photography.
02-15-2018, 02:52 PM - 2 Likes   #847
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
The photography is the light. We are feed up with new high ISO in new cameras. Maybe I'm conservative, but I use most of time ISO80-200 and very rare 250-400.
Yes. I have some photos at ISO800-3200. Not above 100 pcs....

Nobody cares about absolutely clean lower ISO at CMOS sensors.
I guess I am nobody.

I don't shoot infra-red; even one photon is 'light'.
The better high ISO performance they provide, the happier I am.

I wish Pentax would apply KP technology to the "Q" to yield what I call the QP.

I wish Megabones would finish the K-mount or M42-mount of their adapter so my f/1.4 lens would act like a f/0.7 lens.

I'm happy with what people are willing to give me.

02-15-2018, 03:13 PM - 6 Likes   #848
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by credos4u Quote
AFAIK not fake ... but more "justifiable rumours" those are caused by
SAMSUNG showing off their CPU skills, by planting their new EXYNOS chipset into a heavily modified NX1 ...that misleads to speculations about a Samsung NX1 Mark II...
what would be a hard to beat competitor for PENTAX if their userbase gains ground.

just look at the specs of the NX1 from 2014... it had:
Hybrid AF
208 AF Points
15fps burst RAW FORMAT!!(whilst holdin focus i fancy)-(made possible by reducing to 12-bit) for 23 frames then it goes down to 2fps in RAW mode.
EVEN when its buffer is full, it holds its own against the K-1 when talking about burst rate.... because when you only shoot JPGS it shoots 53 before it slows down to 5fps unlimited burst.
4K Video
UHS-II support
weather resistant
USB 3.0
remember that was 2014 ...

Pentax K-1 came out in 2016
and offered
same ol AF with app.. 33 af-points??
4fps burst mode what format so ever.
25p or 30p FullHD video recording... even 50 frames is i(nterpolated)
UHS-I
USB 2.0

the new Showcase Product NX1 Mark II
is nearly the same i guess, but since it has the Exynos CPU and is only made for showin off SAMSUNGS power, rumours say it will offer:
maybe also a new sensor that never was released, so more megapixel, but who cares about more megapixels beyond 24...?
even higher bursts(if buffer memspeed allows it)
6K 6720*4480 @ 30fps (full sensor) video...
with "type C USB 3.1"/"display port" as a 4K/5K video output...
NFC, Bluetooth 5,
CFexpress port
etc., etc.

so ...LOL... for petes sake... dear Pentaxians, lets be happy its only a showcase product and Samsung gave up on dedicated consumer/stills photography.
And yet the NX1 failed in the market.

Maybe all those features that you insist that Pentax must get are not that much in demand (or not worth the cost).

Maybe all these hot specs don't really matter as much as other things (ergonomics, software, etc.) that Pentax actually does well.

Maybe the problem is that Samsung built an electronic gadget for the spec-checkers while Pentax built a camera for photographers.

In any case, Pentax won and Samsung lost.

Last edited by photoptimist; 02-15-2018 at 03:28 PM.
02-15-2018, 03:33 PM - 1 Like   #849
Pentaxian

@credos4u:
I'm not sure you realize this, but you're making my point.

And you're also making a strawman. Samsung camera division's demise is but a lesson to be learned... by those willing to learn.
02-15-2018, 10:15 PM - 1 Like   #850
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
And yet the NX1 failed in the market.
In any case, Pentax won and Samsung lost.
Not failed in the literal sense of the word. The camera's users were happy. Samsung didn't lose, but this business is rather hard to raise big money and the market is in Japanese corporations hands.
All lenses were middle and above middle level, the cameras were rather competitive. NX1 was one of the best.

It seems to me Samsung could be alive
http://thenewcamera.com/samsung-nx2-prototype-exist-30mp-dpaf-4k-at-120fps-and-more/
02-15-2018, 10:34 PM - 6 Likes   #851
Veteran Member

This message is hidden because ******* is on your ignore list.

Ignore button...Love this function!
02-15-2018, 11:05 PM   #852
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I wish Pentax would apply KP technology to the "Q" to yield what I call the QP.
That's a nice idea. (I prefer the sound of the name Q-2, though.)
02-15-2018, 11:17 PM - 2 Likes   #853
Pentaxian

I have a question for the @Mods. Is there a warning for members in the PF like: "Warning! You're on the ignore list of more than 50% of the PF members".

This would be helpful. There is a difference between assuming that your post will be read by the whole PF and the reality that less than half (or less) of the members are left actually reading them. That might help those members reconsider some of their posts and their presence in here in general (wrong fora maybe?).
02-15-2018, 11:18 PM - 5 Likes   #854
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Ignore button...Love this function!
Yep. Mine's had a hammering in the last couple of weeks.
02-15-2018, 11:24 PM - 1 Like   #855
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
I have a question for the @Mods. Is there a warning for members in the PF like: "Warning! You're on the ignore list of more than 50% of the PF members".

This would be helpful. There is a difference between assuming that your post will be read by the whole PF and the reality that less than half (or less) of the members are left actually reading them. That might help those members reconsider some of their posts and their presence in here in general (wrong fora maybe?).
This only works if you're aiming to please people. If you have a view and you really feel it, then what does it matter if even everyone else on the forum disagrees with your view? I don't think (at least I hope not) anyone is actually valuing the 'likes' on posts here and then reconsidering their own viewpoints simply because they are less popular... seems like an odd way to go about things..

That said, if we all keep ignoring each other, what is the point of discussion? It seems we miss out on the actual deep discussions if we remove the rough spots, tough topics, and dissenting views.. not that any of them matter.. or even discussing our personal desires and likes matters.. but we seem to do it anyways. However, it seems to carry even less weight if we try to be the borg and assimilate into one view..
Closed Thread