Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 622 Likes Search this Thread
02-15-2018, 11:41 PM   #856
Pentaxian

OMG, this thread is stuck on page 57, forever?
Edit:
It showed that there was one more page (58) but kept going back to be at 57 as the last.
A glitch in the forum software, or the universe, or the matrix? ��

02-15-2018, 11:45 PM - 10 Likes   #857
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
I have a question for the @Mods. Is there a warning for members in the PF like: "Warning! You're on the ignore list of more than 50% of the PF members".

This would be helpful. There is a difference between assuming that your post will be read by the whole PF and the reality that less than half (or less) of the members are left actually reading them. That might help those members reconsider some of their posts and their presence in here in general (wrong fora maybe?).
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
This only works if you're aiming to please people. If you have a view and you really feel it, then what does it matter if even everyone else on the forum disagrees with your view? I don't think (at least I hope not) anyone is actually valuing the 'likes' on posts here and then reconsidering their own viewpoints simply because they are less popular... seems like an odd way to go about things..

That said, if we all keep ignoring each other, what is the point of discussion? It seems we miss out on the actual deep discussions if we remove the rough spots, tough topics, and dissenting views.. not that any of them matter.. or even discussing our personal desires and likes matters.. but we seem to do it anyways. However, it seems to carry even less weight if we try to be the borg and assimilate into one view..
There isn't, so far as I'm aware, any notification or monitoring for a member to be made aware of how many others are ignoring him or her.

The problem we seem to have is not the difference in opinions - that's healthy enough. It's the fact that some members (a) post without considering how inflammatory they're being, (b) post with the intention of being inflammatory, or (c) respond to inflammatory posts in an argumentative, spiteful and equally inflammatory way.

We actually lose members and have others taking extended breaks because of the bickering, sniping and negativity going on around here (I've dealt with two such instances in the last few days). And it's not about those people being thin skinned - it's that they just don't want to be part of a community that is so adversarial at times. I've put that part in bold to get everyone's attention. This kind of behaviour is really detrimental to these forums.

I even find myself posting less these days because of it, and around half of my posts are attempts to keep things balanced and friendly (or it seems that way, at least)...
02-15-2018, 11:48 PM   #858
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
This only works if you're aiming to please people. If you have a view and you really feel it, then what does it matter if even everyone else on the forum disagrees with your view? I don't think (at least I hope not) anyone is actually valuing the 'likes' on posts here and then reconsidering their own viewpoints simply because they are less popular... seems like an odd way to go about things..

That said, if we all keep ignoring each other, what is the point of discussion? It seems we miss out on the actual deep discussions if we remove the rough spots, tough topics, and dissenting views.. not that any of them matter.. or even discussing our personal desires and likes matters.. but we seem to do it anyways. However, it seems to carry even less weight if we try to be the borg and assimilate into one view..
You seem that you didn't understand my point. The forum is a place for discussion and exchange of different ideas and viewpoints. I have disagreed thousand of times with many PF members on various subjects in here. With some we have even argue quite tough! But I didn't put them in my ignore list. I don't come here to find people that think the way I do. On the contrary I look for the different viewpoint and some remarks on subjects that I might not even thought about. [I will take the time to thank some PF members at some point for their valuable contribution to many threads]. We both know and we should not pretend otherwise that when someone reaches the point to hit the ignore button, we are not talking aboutr a person that simply disagrees with you. It's something quite far away from this simple approach. There is something BOTHERING and quite SICK that is not in line with the scope of this forum that makes you hit the ignore button.

Sorry @mee if that bothers you, but to put it from my perspective. I see this PF like a bunch of people that I didn't know beforehand and we go out for a coffee and talk. I sit in large tables and discuss, we come to know each other and then I see that there are some people that bother me with their attitude. I wouldn't stay in those tables. I would get up and leave them talk with the ones that find them interesting. That is how I see it. And one final word. Personally, I would like to know that I might be to 15-20 persons' ignore lists. That would make me reconsider my presence in here. It would be helpful for me. It's like in the cafe' example you find yourself not having people willing to sit and talk with you. What's the point of keep going to this cafe' and hanging out with these people?

Last edited by redpit; 02-16-2018 at 12:40 AM. Reason: misspellings
02-16-2018, 12:25 AM - 1 Like   #859
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
The photography is the light. We are feed up with new high ISO in new cameras. Maybe I'm conservative, but I use most of time ISO80-200 and very rare 250-400. Yes. I have some photos at ISO800-3200. Not above 100 pcs....
I happen to like shooting in the dark (without a tripod, typically).

Of course another trade-off one can make with cleaner mid/high-range ISO performance is using slower lenses, for a smaller, lighter kit. As BigMackCam said, we all have different requirements/priorities.

02-16-2018, 01:34 AM - 1 Like   #860
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a question for the @Mods. Is there a warning for members in the PF like: "Warning! You're on the ignore list of more than 50% of the PF members".
I think the main reason this wouldn't work is that the vast majority of members don't participate in these discussions - they're either inactive or come here to buy and sell or play games or post pictures - 50 % would be a huge hurdle to climb, however argumentative you are
02-16-2018, 02:08 AM - 1 Like   #861
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
[...] it's that they just don't want to be part of a community that is so adversarial at times. I've put that part in bold to get everyone's attention. This kind of behaviour is really detrimental to these forums.

I even find myself posting less these days because of it, and around half of my posts are attempts to keep things balanced and friendly (or it seems that way, at least)...
Come on... I don't find PF such a terrible place at all
The other, generalist site (DPSomething), now that has become toxic lately... it's just snide remarks all over in the comment sections, and the average understanding of even the basic concepts is so low that you can't possibly make a fair point and be understood.
Really sad...
02-16-2018, 02:37 AM - 7 Likes   #862
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Come on... I don't find PF such a terrible place at all
Oh, I don't think this is a terrible place at all... Quite the contrary. But I believe it would be better still with a whole lot less negativity and confrontation towards the brand and each other

02-16-2018, 02:57 AM - 2 Likes   #863
Veteran Member

Oh, I don't think this is a terrible place at all... Quite the contrary. But I believe it would be better still with a whole lot less negativity and confrontation towards the brand and each other
The news and rumours section should definitely have some sort of warning!
02-16-2018, 03:22 AM - 5 Likes   #864
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think we need to bring back the political forum and then news and rumors will seem calm in comparison...
02-16-2018, 03:28 AM - 5 Likes   #865

I agree with you, this forum was one of the nice surprises of the initial Pentax (semi) impulse buy.
I don't understand the mind state needed to go to a forum and write "Pentax sucks, I will change to Sony/Fuji/Whaterver if not...". You change to what ever solves your problem (if no money, then you have bigger problems) then go to "Sony/Fuji/Whatever" and write "Pentax sucks, just changed to Sony/Fuji/Whatever", and everything is ok. We all know the weakness and strengths of the several options. I'm happy with Pentax, the unloved KP is actually pretty good, and like going from a small but heavy point and shoot with the small limiteds to a slow dual battery bird cacher with a sigma bigma. (it's not irony, I really like the concept and know the limitations)
I did my best to help Pentax, gave them my money and try to get good pictures, share with friends and family and when asked how I got it, a sell the brand (some times without asking ) Not because it's my "club", but because I enjoyed the machine used in the process and want to use it for many years.
Best,
02-16-2018, 03:37 AM - 3 Likes   #866
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think we need to bring back the political forum and then news and rumors will seem calm in comparison...
A bit like kicking somebody in the shin when they have a headache...............the head doesn't hurt so much, eh?
02-16-2018, 03:37 AM   #867
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by danielblues Quote
We all know the weakness and strengths of the several options.
QuoteOriginally posted by danielblues Quote
You change to what ever solves your problem... (if no money, then you have bigger problems)...
Posts like yours are a breath of fresh air, Daniel. The points above, and nothing more, sum it up very nicely
02-16-2018, 04:04 AM - 3 Likes   #868
Pentaxian

We actually lose members and have others taking extended breaks because of the bickering, sniping and negativity going on around here (I've dealt with two such instances in the last few days). And it's not about those people being thin skinned - it's that they just don't want to be part of a community that is so adversarial at times. I've put that part in bold to get everyone's attention. This kind of behaviour is really detrimental to these forums.
Quite understandably. Photography is a hobby for 99% of people. Something they do for fun.
Why should they spend time on a forum, where some people on an ego trip constantly load off their psychological/social issues under the guise of "criticism" and you can see in the posting history that this is not only 5% of their time but 90%.
Does the majority of people go to the movies when it is advertised as "claustrophobic drama" with the main actor being some unknown, ugly, unsympathetic nerd?

What would (sensibly) happen to an unknown nobody who walked into a New England Patriots dedicated sports bar and constantly (multiple times per night, every night for weeks) scream around how every single player sucks compared to just about every team in the league? What would be the right treatment? "Tell us more how they suck", little self proclaimed expert?
02-16-2018, 04:52 AM - 2 Likes   #869
bxf
Veteran Member

. I have disagreed thousand of times with many PF members on various subjects in here.
Quite an achievement given your total of 792 posts to date
02-16-2018, 05:02 AM   #870
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. People are never satisfied with their own situation; they always think others have it better.

Some jump the fence from Pentax to other brands.

Some jump the fence from other brands to Pentax. Why would they do that?
Closed Thread