Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2018, 12:10 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
They have fan events coming up in the Osaka and Tokyo Imaging Squares.

Anyone want to buy an engraved K-1 pentaprism in a wooden case?

I think I'd rather have one in a K-1 to be honest, but it's quite a nicely presented souvenir. Not sure what they'll be selling it for.

This image also shows the recently created logo for Ricoh Imaging Square in the top left. It's interesting, because it indicates that Ricoh sees DSLRs, Theta and GR as the three pillars of their business. It would be strange to do this if they didn't intend to continue with all three.
Probably prohibitively priced but very nice cute little thing IMO

05-02-2018, 05:38 AM - 4 Likes   #17
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
A collection of exotic items from a recent user event.

That pink DA40 is an abomination.

I think the lenses shown are these ones here. The gunmetal A-series lenses would look great on a K-3 Prestige.

There are two prototypes of the DA 35 macro, which can be seen better in these images.

05-02-2018, 11:59 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Awesome!
05-02-2018, 12:57 PM   #19
Veteran Member

There are two prototypes of the DA 35 macro, which can be seen better in these images.
I think it was made specialy for some scientific mission on the south pole. Focus ring is overly large to be used with gloves. I think i can find back the article.

05-03-2018, 01:01 AM   #20
Pentaxian

A collection of exotic items from a recent user event.

That pink DA40 is an abomination.

I think the lenses shown are these ones here. The gunmetal A-series lenses would look great on a K-3 Prestige.

Wow, that's some seriously rare gear. I had no idea there were prototype versions of the DA 35mm limited - they do look strange, especially when I'm so accustomed to the normal version.
01-16-2020, 03:42 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Ricoh Imaging Square Ginza is to close on 29 February. Ricoh Imaging Square Shinjuku will be renamed Ricoh Imaging Square Tokyo.

Ricoh Imaging Square Tokyo and Ricoh Imaging Square Osaka will be closed on Wednesdays in addition to current Tuesdays.

Source: 新宿・銀座のリコーイメージングスクエアが統合 - デジカメ Watch
01-20-2020, 08:05 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Sounds like cut-backs.

Sad, but the camera business is in decline.

01-20-2020, 08:54 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Oh... I have actually had coffee in that building in Ginza without realizing there was a public showroom. It must be a very expensive address, it is on a busy street among all the luxury brands' flagship stores. I did visit the Shinjuku showroom, which is located in a business setting, as a tourist I had to search for it - it is not something you just walk by.
01-20-2020, 10:26 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've no idea what the rest is like in Ginza, but land is roughly 40 million yen/square metre.

It's situated at a famous crossroad with the Nissan gallery across the street, surrounded by boutiques.

I was there only two weeks ago at a rock musicians gallery.
It tends to host galleries by more high profile photographers.

I always preferred the layout of the Shinjuku branch and the service centre is there.
03-28-2020, 07:07 AM - 2 Likes   #25
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The GR Blog has out up an English version of the report about the final day at the Ginza showroom/gallery. It's bit confusing because it refers to "Ring Cube" and "A.W.P". These are different names for the gallery that was on the lower floor of the showroom.

Ricoh Imaging Square Ginza Closed. With Gratitude for Some 12 Years (Machuko@) | GR official | RICOH official community site

It was a funny space because it was doughnut shaped in the cylindrical part of this building.

03-28-2020, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #26
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by H. Sapiens Quote
Oh... I have actually had coffee in that building in Ginza without realizing there was a public showroom. It must be a very expensive address, it is on a busy street among all the luxury brands' flagship stores. I did visit the Shinjuku showroom, which is located in a business setting, as a tourist I had to search for it - it is not something you just walk by.
This is exactly the problem. From the street level, you could walk straight past it and never know it was there. Even when I knew it was supposed to be there, I wasn't quite sure and hesitated to go in. The location they have consolidated into is just a nicer space to be in, is more suitable for hosting events and must be cheaper.
03-28-2020, 11:25 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks again, @JPT, for your special posts. Being Pentax users makes us a little different from the rest and your reports and photos from the Pentax homeland do a lot to enhance the experience of being part of a special club.
04-03-2020, 07:28 PM - 3 Likes   #28
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ricoh now has a page up to show how they are changing the Shinjuku location.
??????????????? ????????????????????? / ?????? / ??????? Ricoh Imaging News / Beautiful Photo-life | RICOH IMAGING

From what I can see, the change is like this.
- Previously: You came straight in to a room with the repair counter and displays of mostly Theta products. The room behind that has product displays of mainly Pentax products on a display table in the center (which got in the way when they ran an event).
- Now: The front room has the Pentax products displayed and the back room is changed into a kind of library/lounge. But in fact I think this back room is probably being cleared of product displays to make it better for user events. Recently, they have been having some kind of event most weekends. If you went there to look at products when an event was on, they had mostly been pushed to the back to accommodate the audience and you couldn't get to them.

The two gallery rooms themselves seem to be the same, but I think they will be changing the kind of images they show in each. Presumably there will be more exhibitions on themes that might be appealing to GR users, since the Shinjuku location now has to perform the function that the Ginza location had to previously. Until now it has been about 80% landscape photography.

And on the subject of events, it seems they are planning more fan events to start when the Imaging Square reopens, but no dates yet because of the coronavirus situation.

So it seems that the Shinjuku Imaging Square Shinjuku is becoming more focused on traditional photography and less on Theta. It makes sense because the audience for those products seems quite different and the Theta exhibits weren't getting much attention, even if they were selling well.