Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2018, 10:15 PM   #136
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
there will be no K-3 II successor in 2018.
that won't surprise me, especially if there is a K-1 II coming out, but am looking forward to the K-3 II successor, maybe a different name with some different tech, no worries, worth the wait, I like the idea of KP and may even get one at some stage, but the aps-c flagship is what I'd mainly use.

02-08-2018, 10:25 PM   #137
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Don't forget the top LCD (or GPS for K-3 II owners). For me, going K-3 -> KP would be a weird "side-grade", not a true upgrade, IMHO. Thus the song I linked to above about the statement that a K-3 successor might still be pretty far away: "Don't bring me down".
In an age where every cell phone has a GPS, it's a crime that every camera does not have one as well. I've taken far too many pictures where I'd like to know years after I took it where I was at the time. GPS isn't a must-have for me, but it's close - I'll be very disappointed if my next camera doesn't have it, and it definitely impacts how much I'll pay.

The first rule in marketing is don't give your customers a reason to say "no". By leaving features out of the KP that were available in the K-3ii, there are plenty of reasons to say no.
02-08-2018, 10:57 PM   #138
Pentaxian

But also plenty of other reasons to say YES.
Photographically / IQ speaking.

---------- Post added 08-02-18 at 23:01 ----------

* better noise management
* 5 axys stabilisation
* full functionnal and silent electronic shutter
* tilting lcd allowing breast shooting
* third parameter wheel
* pop-up flash
* video SR

Btw, second SD slot or GPS don't add to photographic potential.

Last edited by Zygonyx; 02-08-2018 at 11:05 PM.
02-08-2018, 11:09 PM - 3 Likes   #139
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote
In an age where every cell phone has a GPS, it's a crime that every camera does not have one as well.
No, not every one has mobiles and has gps, I don't and don't want it, I certainly do not need all that rubbish in a camera.

02-08-2018, 11:18 PM   #140
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Exactly.

And before everyone goes off the deep end, he did have a follow up comment in the same thread:

dpr member comment:

"Thank you for ending a longstanding doubt.
But is Ricoh not worried that many APS-C users will leave Pentax when there is no higher specced camera than the KP?"

asahiman response:

"This is the reason why Pentax is switching and is in a development of a higher class.
But the last development was only for the new fullframe body and lenses.
So it needs still a longer time to see a new APS-C flagship."

So it looks like development resources are going towards FF at the moment and the crop side is taking a back burner.
Interesting, your quote would just prove the KP isn't indeed an aps flagship and that one still has to come.
02-09-2018, 12:23 AM   #141
Veteran Member

For all we know the K3 may have only been considered an advanced enthusiest camera and they have instead decided to release a pro level APS-C camera to match 7Ds.
The only thing that’s certain is its easier to get blood out of a stone than to get reliable info out of Ricoh
02-09-2018, 12:29 AM - 4 Likes   #142
Veteran Member

Yes, of course..They'll make a high end * lense for APS-C and not follow up with a high end camera? Come on

Since I dont care too much about crop, I've havent paid attention But it will come!

02-09-2018, 12:45 AM   #143
Pentaxian

Ok, so here is the full story according to the one source that I have always trusted:
The plan was that the KP was the highest APS-C camera in development, and would replace the K3II. Dpreview posted a statement on their website at the release of the KP, that this was indeed the K3II successor. They retracted that statement later because Pentax did also after hearing the reactions, and hearing the call for a higher end APS-C body.

There now seems to be a higher end APS-C body in either research or development. But it is not at any level nearing release, and the source on the other website still added a "maybe" to "maybe we will see a new flagship".
It is not coming this year for sure, and it was not Pentax' original plan to develop one above the KP.
Instead, all current efforts go into a new FF body and the lenses.

So now everyone can make up their own conclusions.
As it is, it is FF time at Pentax.

Chris
02-09-2018, 12:53 AM   #144
Pentaxian

You can say his name - he's a member here BTW.
"Pentax is switching and is in a development of a higher class."

Remember the CP+ 2017 interview?
"We feel that there is a need for an APS-C flagship model with these advantages.

A successor to the K-3 II is being researched."

Last edited by Kunzite; 02-09-2018 at 01:09 AM.
02-09-2018, 01:30 AM - 1 Like   #145
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
You can say his name - he's a member here BTW.
"Pentax is switching and is in a development of a higher class."

Remember the CP+ 2017 interview?
"We feel that there is a need for an APS-C flagship model with these advantages.

A successor to the K-3 II is being researched."
I know, he hasn't posted a lot recently though.
The larger picture is
Low class: K70
Middle class: KP
Top class: K1

This was the plan, all in the context of "line-up reduction" no doubt.
We can be assured that the possible APS-C flagship, if it comes, will undoubtedly have all the heart and soul of the Pentax engineers built in, not!
Let's face it: the FF is now where the priorities lie. Perhaps enough demand (hmmm...) or protest will eventually get a higher end APS-C on the shelves, but there are reasons to start making other plans if you want a top APS-C body with a guaranteed release.

Perhaps if Pentax releases a 56 mp K1mk...., will APS-C shooters get a front seat at Pentax again.
Until then, it is the back seat with no quarantees, and the KP as a comforter.

Chris

---------- Post added 02-09-18 at 09:50 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Yes, of course..They'll make a high end * lense for APS-C and not follow up with a high end camera? Come on

Since I dont care too much about crop, I've havent paid attention But it will come!
The coming DA*11-18mm f2.8 does not need a high end body, other than in the IQ department, in which case the KP more than fits the bill.
A high end APS-C body with large buffer, dual card slots, very good AF wóuld be neccessary with lenses like a 300mm f2.8 or such, so if Pentax had released súch a lens....
In short: the DA*11-18mm f2.8 is in no way a strong case for the development of a high end APS-C flagship camera.

Chris
02-09-2018, 01:55 AM   #146
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From dpreview, Asahi man:

That was correct, but Pentax canceled this statement later.

There is something higher than current K-P in development.

Pentax has listened the user and maybe we will get an higher body than K-P next year.

The current development is powered in fullframe lenses and the new body.

And from our own kenspo:

So... I guess 2018 is out for the K3II successor then. And my two dear K3s are both at +100.000 actuations... Hmm. I guess I will need to find a second hand K3II.
02-09-2018, 02:26 AM - 1 Like   #147
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
In short: the DA*11-18mm f2.8 is in no way a strong case for the development of a high end APS-C flagship camera
But as far as I'm told, it is But when its ready, I dont know!
02-09-2018, 02:34 AM   #148
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like that Pentax does niche cameras, eg. KP with a retro like design, small and suited to the DA limited's. They do listen to customers and what is wanted. I appreciate this. I think they always intended the higher end aps-c but hey can't do everything at once. Thank you Pentax.

---------- Post added 09-02-18 at 08:47 PM ----------

But when its ready, I dont know!
lets hope not too long.

Kenspo have you had a chance to photograph the band Parkway Drive? They come from around my part of the world.
Parkway Drive
02-09-2018, 03:08 AM   #149
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MetteHHH Quote
From dpreview, Asahi man:

That was correct, but Pentax canceled this statement later.

There is something higher than current K-P in development.

Pentax has listened the user and maybe we will get an higher body than K-P next year.

The current development is powered in fullframe lenses and the new body.

And from our own kenspo:

So... I guess 2018 is out for the K3II successor then. And my two dear K3s are both at +100.000 actuations... Hmm. I guess I will need to find a second hand K3II.
K3s are rated to 200k actuations, so you better get busy if you want to wear out both bodies by next year
02-09-2018, 03:16 AM   #150
Veteran Member

It’s hard to see the benefit of taking the assumptions of 2012-13 and throwing them forward into 2019 as a K3II successor. Tastes and tech have changed a great deal in that time so what people are wishing for might turn out to be a magnificent fossil. It’s perfectly reasonable to think the whole K7 to K3 evolution has well and truly run its course. Time for something else.

It sounds as if Pentax aren’t big enough now to do much more than one thing at a time. So when FF is out of the way for a while, I expect they will return their attention to APS-C. A new offer will need to be a camera which works in the market of 2019, however. That market has shrunk by about 40 per cent in the past few years and by 2019 chances are Canon and Nikon will be pumping marketing millions into the AP-C mirrorless bandwagon. The camera market might be looking a pretty different place in one year’s time.

I see Asahi Man’s statement as basically saying there won’t be a new higher-end APS-C camera until the KP has run its course and that the main focus is on FF these days. And when a new offer does come, Ricoh realise that it can’t be a KP Mark II but they also realise it can’t be a K3 Mark III either. Change is the name of the game now. Best to look forwards, not backwards. Most folks who have a KP seem to love it. Why would what it represents not make for a decent future anyway? It's a scaled-down K1 in most ways and isn't the K1 exactly what Pentax does best?

Last edited by mecrox; 02-09-2018 at 04:41 AM.