Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2018, 03:17 AM - 3 Likes   #151
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
But as far as I'm told, it is But when its ready, I dont know!
So we are basically happy to see that you're knowing the same things as us.

02-09-2018, 03:31 AM   #152
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
Ok, so here is the full story according to the one source that I have always trusted:
The plan was that the KP was the highest APS-C camera in development, and would replace the K3II. Dpreview posted a statement on their website at the release of the KP, that this was indeed the K3II successor. They retracted that statement later because Pentax did also after hearing the reactions, and hearing the call for a higher end APS-C body.

There now seems to be a higher end APS-C body in either research or development. But it is not at any level nearing release, and the source on the other website still added a "maybe" to "maybe we will see a new flagship".
It is not coming this year for sure, and it was not Pentax' original plan to develop one above the KP.
Instead, all current efforts go into a new FF body and the lenses.

So now everyone can make up their own conclusions.
To be honest, that sounds like a bunch of confused bumbling on the part of Ricoh - I sincerely hope that the source is misinformed. The KP is really more like a scaled back APS-C K-1 - it doesn't fulfil the separate and needed role of an action camera, which the K-3, in it's day, was. I still don't buy that they'd release the 11-18 for the KP - it just doesn't fit it's small, lightweight ethos. I know that it's not a classic action lens either (other than the fast aperture) but much more K-3 than KP.
02-09-2018, 03:50 AM   #153
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
Kenspo have you had a chance to photograph the band Parkway Drive? They come from around my part of the world.
I have..but a some years back now
02-09-2018, 04:05 AM   #154
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
To be honest, that sounds like a bunch of confused bumbling on the part of Ricoh
Is it Ricoh?
The longer the chain, more chances for communication mishaps. Add a few language barriers on the way... and at the end, a bunch or people suffering from confirmation bias

02-09-2018, 04:31 AM   #155
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
From what Asahi man is saying on dpreview I conclude that Pentax has set aps-c on a back burner and is focussing all it's attention on the K-1 line and lens line up. The new 11-18 wide angle has been very long in development in various forms up to about 28mm, so they are probably bringing that out anyway, but remember that Q lens that only appeared as a prototype. I think this is a big risk Ricoh is taking. For now the KP and K-70 are good enough, but that won't last. Obviously Ricoh can't focus on full frame and aps-c at the same time. They have to make a choice. Whether this is the end of aps-c will depend on how well the K-1 line is doing en whether they can make a scaled down K-1 type camera for aps-c which utilizes the speed advantages of a smaller sensor.
02-09-2018, 04:36 AM - 1 Like   #156
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
For now the KP and K-70 are good enough, but that won't last.
If there's no K3ii replacement due soon, why discontinue it? It still fills a different niche than the KP or K-70. Was it not selling?
02-09-2018, 04:45 AM   #157
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Is it Ricoh?
The longer the chain, more chances for communication mishaps. Add a few language barriers on the way... and at the end, a bunch or people suffering from confirmation bias
I did add a caveat (of sorts) - I don't believe they're bunglers at all

Last edited by ffking; 02-09-2018 at 04:56 AM.
02-09-2018, 04:47 AM   #158
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
If there's no K3ii replacement due soon, why discontinue it? It still fills a different niche than the KP or K-70. Was it not selling?
not enough any more to justify to keep producing it I guess.They probably need the production line for the K-1 II and the KP. I think the K-70 can also be produced in Vietnam.
02-09-2018, 05:56 AM   #159
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
not enough any more to justify to keep producing it I guess.They probably need the production line for the K-1 II and the KP. I think the K-70 can also be produced in Vietnam.
I would assume the K-3 II was selling but at a price generating margins which are not in line with Ricoh's expectations. Remember their whole strategy (not only for the imaging business): the race for volumes has ended, let's concentrate on margin.
02-09-2018, 06:13 AM   #160
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
For what its worth, and for those that don't frequent DPR, another member in that same thread also posted this comment:

"According to my German Pentax dealer, there will be no K-3 II successor in 2018.
But he is looking forward to many exciting Pentax products in 2018 that he's not allowed to talk about."
Dealers doesn't know such things. Even the distributors won't know until products have a product number and can be ordered. They usually get their rumors through internet as we do. On a site like this.....
02-09-2018, 06:16 AM   #161
Pentaxian

(...)

The coming DA*11-18mm f2.8 does not need a high end body, other than in the IQ department, in which case the KP more than fits the bill.
A high end APS-C body with large buffer, dual card slots, very good AF wóuld be necessary with lenses like a 300mm f2.8 or such, so if Pentax had released such a lens....
In short: the DA*11-18mm f2.8 is in no way a strong case for the development of a high end APS-C flagship camera.

Chris
I would second that. A 11-18mm f/2.8 lens, be it a DA★, doesn't require a high burst rate or a large buffer, two areas in which the KP stays notably behind the K-3 II, nor does it require a high-end autofocus with impressive tracking capabilities, nor is it necessarily meant to be used with a big, heavy camera.

For those who are prepared / desire to go big and heavy, the alternative to KP + DA★ 11-18mm f/2.8 is already available, it's K-1 (soon Mark II) + D FA 15-30mm f/2.8.
02-09-2018, 06:17 AM - 1 Like   #162
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
But as far as I'm told, it is But when its ready, I dont know!
I think that DA* lens is pentax way of telling us that they care about high end APS. Thats why it is announced early....
This lens will be big, heavy (relatively) and expensive and not bought by any APS users on a budget.
02-09-2018, 06:22 AM   #163
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
I would assume the K-3 II was selling but at a price generating margins which are not in line with Ricoh's expectations. Remember their whole strategy (not only for the imaging business): the race for volumes has ended, let's concentrate on margin.
But selling something is better than not selling at all, no ?

EDIT : discontinued simply mean no in production, not no more for sale on retail. So my comment has pretty much no point.

Last edited by aurele; 02-09-2018 at 06:32 AM.
02-09-2018, 06:33 AM   #164
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Let's concentrate on margin, sure.
But how about offering core products to your user base? Is that out of the window with the new Ricoh?

Being realistic: minimum wait for a "possible" K3II successor is one year now, but possibly anywhere in 2019.
When the K3II is gone soon, APS-C will merely be a waiting game for a handful of faithfull.
The thought alone: discontinuing a core product 1-2 years before a replacement múst be a first in DSLR land. I simply cannot imagine any other brand ever having done this.

Thinking it over, it is pretty amazing. All the more when you realize that the discontinued camera itself was already dating back 5 years.
Anyway, what more to say about this slightly incredible situation? APS-C is on a starving diet because of a DFA 50/1.4 with no doubt Zeiss like price with Zeiss like margin. Maybe they'll sell 50 or 100 and reap the benefits of the new high margin policy.

The Nikon D500 will no doubt be on offer way sooner than the K3II successor will even be rumored. The Sigma 150-600S is a nice option while saving for the better primes. I dó hope I will be able to decently sell my DA560 though, it is too wonderful a lens to ditch at bottom low second hand price. Perhaps someone will want it for use on the K1mkII though...

Chris
02-09-2018, 06:56 AM   #165
Pentaxian

The thought alone: discontinuing a core product 1-2 years before a replacement múst be a first in DSLR land. I simply cannot imagine any other brand ever having done this
The gap between the Nikon D300 and D500 was quite a bit larger. Maybe there will be original K-1's around for a bit longer. The only way up for K-3/K3 II owners will be full frame for the foreseeable future. Maybe Ricoh will offer the K-1 for $1500 ore there about for a while to get them to upgrade. The cash backs were already pointing in that direction. The problem with full frame of course is the lack of affordable modern glass.