Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2018, 06:59 AM - 1 Like   #166
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
MetteHHH's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,184
QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
K3s are rated to 200k actuations, so you better get busy if you want to wear out both bodies by next year
I'm WORKING on it, Rob! It's hard though, when you have internet forums to keep up with as well...


02-09-2018, 07:11 AM   #167
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 230
Therese a lot of invoking of "flagship" as if the word has magical properties.

With the K1, KP strategy they are playing to the strengths of the formats. Makes sense to me. Wildlifers will suffer.

I'm not getting a KP but like where its heading. The gps of my K-3II is a critical feature and the KP image quality at base iso hasn't improved much. Make the KP just a bit smaller add a GPS, ditch the flippy screen and increase resolution. Then I might be interested when the K3 dies. Small but quiet lenses would be good though!
02-09-2018, 07:45 AM   #168
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,527
On fact I would expected a lineup more like: K-P, K3 (mark whatever), K-1

Maybe in some time K-P or K3, K2, K1.
02-09-2018, 08:03 AM   #169
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: South West UK
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,059
I can't help but think cynically here - assuming that there really will be a situation of no more K-3's and no direct replacement for some (long) time...

What will a die-hard Pentax fan do when his/her K-3 dies and they want something similar to replace it? Either jump brand, or buy a K-1. A proper Pentaxian won't want to replace their whole system with a canikony, and Pentax probably knows it. The cost of the few that would jump ship, won't outweigh the cost of pushing through the development of a K-3III, not even close.

Maybe, all in all, it's just a clever bit of forced upselling. I for one am already thinking maybe it's time to start looking for good deals on a K-1 (mk1)

02-09-2018, 08:19 AM   #170
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 10,677
There is no way Pentax will simply hold their already developed cameras, just because of some evil scheming.
Such a thing exists only on the Internet.
02-09-2018, 08:34 AM   #171
Pentaxian
The Squirrel Mafia's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,080
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
What will a die-hard Pentax fan do when his/her K-3 dies and they want something similar to replace it? Either jump brand, or buy a K-1. A proper Pentaxian won't want to replace their whole system with a canikony, and Pentax probably knows it.
From reading a lot of posts on this forum & the other one, it seems like the majority of them would probably move on to mirrorless. A few that demand more precise AF performance would move to Nikon & very few would switch to Canon.

I'd personally make the switch to m43.
02-09-2018, 09:06 AM - 2 Likes   #172
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,536
I’ll just happily go on shooting with what I have, not with what I dream about; and if negativity and cynicism gets to me I’ll just shoot more with what I have.
02-09-2018, 09:10 AM   #173
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2013
Photos: Albums
Posts: 427
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
The gap between the Nikon D300 and D500 was quite a bit larger. Maybe there will be original K-1's around for a bit longer. The only way up for K-3/K3 II owners will be full frame for the foreseeable future. Maybe Ricoh will offer the K-1 for $1500 ore there about for a while to get them to upgrade. The cash backs were already pointing in that direction. The problem with full frame of course is the lack of affordable modern glass.
Yes, but this comparison does not hold. The Nikon D7100 line is comparable to the K3 line, and got an upgrade with the D7200. Just imagine Nikon having ditched the D7100 and no replacement in sight for a year or even two.... just unimaginable.
The D500 is a highly specialized pro camera that Pentax can only dream of making, even in 6 years time. Such a camera has a long development phase and a long life cycle. D500 users are, two years after launch, scratching their heads if asked what Nikon should upgrade tin a mkII.

What Pentax did i.m.o., is just rip yhe whole hesrt out of APS-C and leave us with nothing but a KP which is more like a Nikon DF mini or something.

Chris

02-09-2018, 09:32 AM   #174
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Warsaw
Posts: 402
D7XXX line was recently upgraded with D7500 that lacks some "pro" features that ware found in its previous generations.
02-09-2018, 10:27 AM   #175
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,527
Yep D7xxx line was artificially nerfed to create a previously absent space for the D500.

If the D7xx is your model, think again.
02-09-2018, 10:36 AM   #176
Pentaxian
The Squirrel Mafia's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,080
QuoteOriginally posted by Reed Quote
D7XXX line was recently upgraded with D7500 that lacks some "pro" features that ware found in its previous generations.
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Yep D7xxx line was artificially nerfed to create a previously absent space for the D500.

If the D7xx is your model, think again.
Which in turn makes me wonder if Ricoh plans on doing something similar where they nerf the K-3II into the KP & eventually release a higher performing APS-C flagship. Hmmm............ ........

Hahaha! Only time will tell.
02-09-2018, 10:59 AM   #177
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2013
Photos: Albums
Posts: 427
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Yep D7xxx line was artificially nerfed to create a previously absent space for the D500.

If the D7xx is your model, think again.
No, of course I am getting the D500. It's a pity: there was a 200,- cashback that ran in Europe until end of january. Had I known thén what I know now, I could have saved 200,- on the D500 and 100,- on the 200-500mm lens.

My biggest worry is how to sell the DA560 at a decent price, certainly now Pentax is not exactly making it more appealing to invest in a dedicated wildlife/birding lens. I will need the money to eventually get the Sigma 500mm f4. But selling it may turn out to be a headache. Pity, cause it really is a superb lens.

---------- Post added 02-09-18 at 07:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
Which in turn makes me wonder if Ricoh plans on doing something similar where they nerf the K-3II into the KP & eventually release a higher performing APS-C flagship. Hmmm............ ........

Hahaha! Only time will tell.
Ah yes, but it will be a looooooong time.......
02-09-2018, 11:20 AM   #178
Pentaxian
The Squirrel Mafia's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,080
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
My biggest worry is how to sell the DA560 at a decent price, certainly now Pentax is not exactly making it more appealing to invest in a dedicated wildlife/birding lens. I will need the money to eventually get the Sigma 500mm f4. But selling it may turn out to be a headache. Pity, cause it really is a superb lens.
You should hold onto it for now. We'll know something either by CP+ or by the time the DA* 11-18mm f/2.8 lens comes around. It's only 1 of 2 definite possibilities: it's coming or not coming. Hahaha!

If nothing happens then, November & December will be a slightly better time to buy that Sigma lens with the D500. That's when the manufacturers usually offer rebates and/or other incentives to get the people to start spending money for the holidays.
02-09-2018, 11:21 AM - 1 Like   #179
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 18,130
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
Yes, but this comparison does not hold. The Nikon D7100 line is comparable to the K3 line, and got an upgrade with the D7200. Just imagine Nikon having ditched the D7100 and no replacement in sight for a year or even two.... just unimaginable.
The D500 is a highly specialized pro camera that Pentax can only dream of making, even in 6 years time. Such a camera has a long development phase and a long life cycle. D500 users are, two years after launch, scratching their heads if asked what Nikon should upgrade tin a mkII.

What Pentax did i.m.o., is just rip yhe whole hesrt out of APS-C and leave us with nothing but a KP which is more like a Nikon DF mini or something.

Chris
So, what Nikon did was rip the heart out of the D7xxx line in order to support a higher end camera (the D500). I think the difficult thing thing for Pentax is that they need a camera that will sell. If they could have a camera that has D7500 specs with 2 card slots and a deeper buffer, I think that would be a nice seller in the 1200 dollar range. I certainly don't see them going over that.

Overall, the signs are that they are working on APS-C currently and that once full frame is released they will get that out the door, but it'll be after summer, unless I miss my guess.
02-09-2018, 12:05 PM - 1 Like   #180
Pentaxian
Mistral75's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Paris
Posts: 3,386
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
(...) It's only 1 of 2 definite possibilities: it's coming or not coming. Hahaha!

(...).
One of three possibilities actually: it's coming or not coming... or (coming) later
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aps-c, body, camera, companies, design, dslr, filter, flagship, forum, frame, fuji, k-3, k3, mirrorless, pentax, pentax k3ii, pentax news, pentax rumors, person, post, replacement, samsung, sensor, sensors, site, sony, successor, web
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax K-70 Officially Announced PF Staff Pentax News and Rumors 5 06-09-2016 06:51 AM
When will the K3 be officially discontinued? r0ckstarr Pentax K-3 2 05-25-2015 04:02 AM
Pentax K-5 Officially Discontinued Adam Pentax News and Rumors 165 11-05-2012 01:47 PM
Has the K7 been officially discontinued? rena Pentax News and Rumors 21 01-26-2011 10:03 AM
K200D is officially discontinued Sitting Bull Pentax News and Rumors 35 03-07-2009 09:35 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:11 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top