Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2018, 11:49 AM - 2 Likes   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just received a used K3II in the mail...sure doesn't look discontinued? None of my lenses are sneering at it. Under a scanning silicon microscope there is some discontinued-looking color rendition hidden in the molecular structure of the wafer...but other than that, I think I'll just have fun using it and see what comes next from Pentax.

02-02-2018, 12:40 PM - 2 Likes   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
Just received a used K3II in the mail...sure doesn't look discontinued? None of my lenses are sneering at it. Under a scanning silicon microscope there is some discontinued-looking color rendition hidden in the molecular structure of the wafer...but other than that, I think I'll just have fun using it and see what comes next from Pentax.
Odd isn't it? My K3II and K1 still take great pictures, or are capable of taking great pictures, or something like that.

And when I have the new APS-C flagship in the bag, got a hunch the K3II will be a fantastic backup!

02-02-2018, 12:46 PM   #63
Pentaxian

My K-5IIs can still take picture, yet it's by no means a current product. And your average Pentaxian's Spotmatic can still take great pictures, provided it was carefully maintained.
A camera is not discontinued when all samples stops taking pictures, but - by definition - when the manufacturer stops selling it.
02-02-2018, 12:48 PM   #64
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Probably a safe bet there will be a replacement!
So far so good. Just have to wait for it to mount the DFA150450 on the new "Pentax D500". Until I have not lost money with Pentax gear, it is still costing less to keep betting on Pentax rather than using another brand. I look forward to the new model.

02-02-2018, 01:33 PM - 5 Likes   #65
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
@Adam - how you coming on that mass Prozac purchase for all the sad sacks out there?

Never seen such eagerness to interpret the worst case scenario.

Is it the cold getting to everyone? Cooped up inside with "nothing" to do?

Again, since basically anyone posting anything here knows nothing, I'll take the positive twist instead of the negative twist. We know there's a new DA* 11-18. We know that the IQ of the KP is great. We know that there is a demand for a new APS-C flagship. We know that prices on existing cameras have been moving down, which in turn leaves a spot for a new top of the line entry, and we know that we're only a month out from a show that historically has brought good news, and finally, how many of us had a clue about the KP prior to the announcement it existed?

Time to go take some pictures while chilling out and wait and see what happens in a month. Then respective parties can either jump for joy or jump off the cliff, but until then, we just don't know what the future holds.

CP+ is coming up in about a month. If their goal was to get us talking, they've succeeded.

One thing is for sure: there will be a new camera. Further details are pure speculation

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-02-2018, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #66

Happy new K-3ii owner here. Picked-up a little used second hand copy a few months ago to replace my stolen k-5ii (and other gear). Anyway, at the moment I'm more interested in increasing my skills rather than upgrading. Replacing my lost 20-40 has priority too.

Anyway, last week I was visiting a large camera shop (replacing my lost tripod...) having a chat about using Pentax rather than the big brands. I explained that Pentax ticks most of my boxes: good IQ/WR; affordable WR lenses; relatively lightweight. In contrast, m43 does have lesser DR; With Canikon you have to to FF for their WR lenses. For Fuji the WR zoom and macro lenses are behemoths too.

The guy agreed.

So while my 'new' K-3ii keeps clicking away; i do hope the APS line will be continued.
02-02-2018, 01:50 PM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's too early to start a "Why I Won't Buy the K-3III" thread, isn't it? We don't even know the name, yet...

02-02-2018, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
A camera is not discontinued when all samples stops taking pictures, but - by definition - when the manufacturer stops selling it.
Yep, but trying to find some smiles some place here. Hopefully succeeded.

---------- Post added 02-02-18 at 04:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
One thing is for sure: there will be a new camera. Further details are pure speculation
As my beloved dog would say, "WAG WAG WAG!!!!"

Hold the Prozac. There's hope!
02-02-2018, 02:34 PM   #69
Veteran Member

Businesses don’t want their production lines sitting idle. Based on the release of the KP about a year ago, presumably with ample stock, then the pentax production line has had almost a year to be producing something else. The discontinuation of the K3 pretty much confirms something is in the works for announcement at CP+ and release in the 1st half of the year. Whether that is APS-C flagship or K1ii may have been determined by what sensors are available. The K10, K20, K7, K5 and K3 have all been fitted with a new sensor that has then been sometimes reused with the lower models and iis. So I expect a New APS-C flagship has been delayed due to the earthquake that disrupted the sony sensor manufacturing. Sony are releasing a fast readout 150mp BSI medium format chip this year. At APS-C size that is 24mp. It would make sense that Sony would produce a APS-C chip from that wafer.
02-02-2018, 03:20 PM   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
It's too early to start a "Why I Won't Buy the K-3III" thread, isn't it? We don't even know the name, yet...

I won't buy the K-3 III because:

There isn't going to be a K3 III. It is going to be a K-2 or something else but not the third version of the K-3

I won't buy that either because I have a K-1.
02-02-2018, 05:39 PM   #71
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Where I live K3II has not been available for orders the last 6 months.
Even Ricoh themselves removed K3II from online store.

I was lucky to get one of the last K3II in Sweden when i found a demo camera available for sale a couple of month ago.
Still in stock in most of the online stores here. SRS says 'awaiting stock' (so it's clearly still being shipped from the distributor), but Wex have stock, as do Bristol Cameras and Clifton Cameras...mind you, Clifton still has the K-50 in stock, which has been discontinued much longer! So maybe the situation in Sweden is not representative of the rest of the world.
02-02-2018, 05:48 PM   #72
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I won't buy the K-3 III because:

There isn't going to be a K3 III. It is going to be a K-2 or something else but not the third version of the K-3

I won't buy that either because I have a K-1.
KS, KS-1, KS-2, KS-2b, KS-3, K-SV, K-SP.

M-EF (Mirrorless - Electronic Finder), M-EFll (new electronic, short-register ‘M’ mount)

Last edited by monochrome; 02-02-2018 at 07:56 PM.
02-02-2018, 05:50 PM - 1 Like   #73
Veteran Member

K-π coming up, now with an infinitely long formal name.
02-02-2018, 07:21 PM   #74
Veteran Member

Would it make sense for Pentax to develop a new camera architecture that suits both the ASP-C and full frame format?
I mean the KP has the compact side of things covered so this leaves room for the ASP-C flagship to grow in physical size. This would give room for more of the good bits that tech people here talk about that improve AF processing power, buffer etc. I vaguely remember someone mentioning a survey of K3 owners, asking if they would be willing to sacrifice size to achieve something like 18fps.
If the K3 replacement was a bigger camera then why not develop the next FF along side it?
02-02-2018, 08:04 PM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
It will be a K-33! They have almost boxed themselves in with their naming protocols.