Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2018, 05:24 AM   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
When you are one of the founders of the central purchasing entity of one of the largest camera retail network in France, own and manage the largest store in this network and happen to own and manage la Boutique Pentax in Paris, you demand some visibility and you obtain it.

Believe me, the guy is very well informed.

I am afraid I have to contradict you on this point.
Yep, that's what I say, this is a specific case and I wouldn't be surprised. In this case.
But the usual case is that they know nothing.

02-07-2018, 09:01 AM - 2 Likes   #92
Veteran Member

I keep thinking over and over....IS IT POSSIBLE....that Pentax Upgrades the K-1 with a higher MP sensor and uses the new to be released model to replace not only the current K-1 , but also the K-3II shooting in crop mode ?.....Hence....killing two birds with one stone ?
02-07-2018, 09:04 AM - 4 Likes   #93
Veteran Member

No...just no...!
02-07-2018, 09:14 AM - 1 Like   #94
Pentaxian

^ Good to know! Long live APS-C!

02-07-2018, 09:30 AM   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
^ Good to know! Long live APS-C!
I wish they would give us "Something".....anything would be nice at this point !
02-07-2018, 09:48 AM   #96
Pentaxian

^ Hopefully we see or hear something about the K-3II replacement at CP+. I've been waiting since fall of 2016 for it. If nothing is produced at CP+, I'm hoping that we at least get a confirmation from Ricoh that it's definitely coming. If they say, "We need more time to put more excellence & win into it," I'll be willing to wait for it.

I'm really hoping that they bring the AF performance into the 21st century. I mean, just about every other camera manufacturer has already done that.
02-07-2018, 09:50 AM   #97
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just hope that the K-1 Mark II - if it materializes soon - isn't just a K-1 with (significantly) updated firmware, possibly with some cosmetic body changes thrown in. That would explain why some usually well-informed people here on PF were saying "New firmware on the way!" while others were saying "No new bodies for a while", but would make the announcement a little anticlimactic.

02-07-2018, 10:26 AM - 1 Like   #98
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
No...just no...!
A positive no that is!! And a possible relief to many, provided that the last open question can also be answered with an equally positive no:
"Does Ricoh regard the KP as the new (if even temporary) APS-C flagship camera?" To me that is the last remaining question. Because sure, there will at one time be a new APS-C body, no doubt. But if that body means to replace, and possibly upgrade, the KP, then the wait may be a long one still....

Chris
02-07-2018, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
"Does Ricoh regard the KP as the new (if even temporary) APS-C flagship camera?"
I hope the Kenspo quote works for this one too !

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
No...just no...!
02-07-2018, 04:10 PM   #100
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
A positive no that is!! And a possible relief to many, provided that the last open question can also be answered with an equally positive no:
"Does Ricoh regard the KP as the new (if even temporary) APS-C flagship camera?" To me that is the last remaining question. Because sure, there will at one time be a new APS-C body, no doubt. But if that body means to replace, and possibly upgrade, the KP, then the wait may be a long one still....

Chris
Probably the biggest problem with adding a new APS-c body is new sensor technology - or lack of it - for the APS format. Nikon seems to have gone backward with their D500 and D7200 sensors - with less dynamic range and pixels (20mpix), but somewhat better high ISO performance, but only barely. Highest MPIX count - 28mpix- for APS was with Samsung, but they closed down their DLSR line with this sensor. However, since Canon, Nikon from Sony, and Sony have been improving FX sensors, it seems disingenuous that APS technology cannot also be improved beyond what is currently available...
02-07-2018, 11:34 PM   #101
Pentaxian

There are other points in which consumers are interested in than Mpix, Iso and DR.

That's is: built-in AF (PD and CD) and Video and framerate.
Fps and video often goes opposite direction (IQ speaking) than the points you mentioned. Ask Pentax/Samsung (K20 vs K7)
02-08-2018, 01:19 AM   #102
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mtgmansf Quote
Probably the biggest problem with adding a new APS-c body is new sensor technology - or lack of it - for the APS format. Nikon seems to have gone backward with their D500 and D7200 sensors - with less dynamic range and pixels (20mpix), but somewhat better high ISO performance, but only barely. Highest MPIX count - 28mpix- for APS was with Samsung, but they closed down their DLSR line with this sensor. However, since Canon, Nikon from Sony, and Sony have been improving FX sensors, it seems disingenuous that APS technology cannot also be improved beyond what is currently available...
True, the sensor is an interesting question. But there must be these superduper sensors Fuji is using in their topmodels, or aren't they any better you can get from K-3II or KP?
02-08-2018, 01:38 AM   #103
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mtgmansf Quote
Highest MPIX count - 28mpix- for APS was with Samsung, but they closed down their DLSR line with this sensor.
Their Dslr line was rebadged Pentaxs....14.6 was the highest mp count, their NX1/500 mirrorless was 28mp and currently a rumour abounds that the NX2 is being tested with 30mp and 4K 120fps.
02-08-2018, 08:40 AM   #104
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
True, the sensor is an interesting question. But there must be these superduper sensors Fuji is using in their topmodels, or aren't they any better you can get from K-3II or KP?
I have read several times and in several places that Fuji also uses the very same Sony sensors, only they or Sony place the Xtrans filter - as opposed to Bayer filter - in front of it. It is important to note that several companies have or have had Sony build sensors to spec for them, like Nikon the new sensor in the Nikon D850. Of course, then there is also the software integration and interpretation of the pixels, on top of the raw sensor output. One of the worst developments in the sensor arena is however,, several companies have merged or given up entirely on manufacturing these...

---------- Post added 02-08-18 at 07:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Their Dslr line was rebadged Pentaxs....14.6 was the highest mp count, their NX1/500 mirrorless was 28mp and currently a rumour abounds that the NX2 is being tested with 30mp and 4K 120fps.
Interesting- about a Samsung NX2... I have read/heard that Samsung is completely out of the consumer DSLR and compact camera market, but I hope you are right and I am wrong

Last edited by mtgmansf; 02-08-2018 at 08:44 AM. Reason: error
02-08-2018, 08:46 AM - 1 Like   #105
Pentaxian

Samsung? He's dead, Jim.

Amazing how there are such rumors about Samsung, yet so much doom&gloom about Pentax.