Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 333 Likes Search this Thread
02-08-2018, 12:30 PM - 1 Like   #106
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mtgmansf Quote
I have read/heard that Samsung is completely out of the consumer DSLR and compact camera market
As stated, Samsung left Dslr then did NX mirrorless which was never "officially" finished.The Indian plant that produced compact Samsungs closed about 3 years ago.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Amazing how there are such rumors about Samsung,
Theres a singular rumour, that surfaced on Mirrorless Rumours from an undisclosed source which MR was sceptical of.However,anything is possible even new Pentax bodies!

02-08-2018, 12:51 PM   #107
Veteran Member

Maybe they should have stuck together/kept their partnership up and running...

It just occurred to my, that Samsung and Pentax were one partners. Maybe the merger with Ricoh made that untenable? Maybe it was already dead? However, it could have been good, with Samsung doing mirrorless and Pentax doing DSLRs, with both sharing ideas and designs on glass and Pentax then having state-of-the-art sensors for APS/dx, etc., Anyway, just a fantasy, thought, or dream, since they did cooperate together for a while...
02-08-2018, 12:59 PM   #108
Pentaxian

The partnership with Samsung ended well before Ricoh; and it ended with Samsung planning and making a new mirrorless system behind Pentax' back.
Perhaps all Samsung wanted was a platform to test their sensors on.

---------- Post added 08-02-18 at 10:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Theres a singular rumour, that surfaced on Mirrorless Rumours from an undisclosed source which MR was sceptical of.However,anything is possible even new Pentax bodies!
How about the rumor about Nikon buying Samsung's camera division? How about the denial while Samsung was exiting European markets?
The world is not a fair place if you're Pentax
02-08-2018, 01:11 PM   #109
Veteran Member

The partnership with Samsung ended well before Ricoh; and it ended with Samsung planning and making a new mirrorless system behind Pentax' back.
Perhaps all Samsung wanted was a platform to test their sensors on.

---------- Post added 08-02-18 at 10:02 PM ----------

How about the rumor about Nikon buying Samsung's camera division? How about the denial while Samsung was exiting European markets?
The world is not a fair place if you're Pentax
Interesting and all good to know... Sad to hear that Pentax got sharked by Samsung, because - at least to me - their alliance might have made sense into the future, with Samsung possibly being a better buyer than Ricoh - due to deep pockets, etc. However, maybe we should be happy, because maybe Samsung would have shut down Pentax at the same time as their mirrorless division, and we would have nothing...

02-08-2018, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #110
Pentaxian

Sorry, but I disagree about Samsung being possibly a better owner than Ricoh: Samsung already gave up on cameras, and that was just after releasing an amazing camera (for a mirrorless). A very bad track record, if you ask me
We'll see what happens under Ricoh; my impression is that their Resurgent reforms are working out, and the pressure from shareholders should decrease.
02-08-2018, 01:50 PM   #111
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
How about the rumor about Nikon buying Samsung's camera division?
yes, just a rumour...Nikon were already planning FF mirrorless.The same as this latest sammy stuff is unlikely at this stage(like the full range of DFA primes)

---------- Post added 02-09-18 at 07:52 AM ----------

if you're Pentax
The world is not a fair place
Its sometimes hard to be yesterdays hero.
02-08-2018, 02:11 PM - 1 Like   #112
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
No K3mkIII coming, sadly

I kind of felt it coming, but a longstanding and reliable source on the other forum was kind enough to spill the beans. There is no K3 successor in sight. It's the KP and K1(mkII) Pentax shooters will have to make do with. For me, it is the end of the road with Pentax, and the beginning of saving up for the Nikon/Sigma combo.
Somehow, you know these things down inside: I went through it all with Olympus when they ditched 4/3. All those people clinging on to the E5 successor that never came...
Ricoh is clearly going in other directions, mainly FF directions that is...

Oh, and who said that the DA*11-18 did not fit well on the KP? Seems that it is made for that camera after all....

Chris

02-08-2018, 02:36 PM   #113
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@ Chris Mak, I don't mean to suggest that you should not change brands or stick with Pentax. I'm also not trying to conjure false (or faint) hopes!

However, I think that the sparse comment in 'the other forum' could be interpreted in different ways. What does "sadly not in sight" and "not real" really mean? Is the K-3 II replacement not ready for a near-term announcement? Not ready for market in 2018? Not in sight, ever? And "not real" could be an obvious fact simply if the camera is not in its final stage of design and test, or not 'real' if it's not in production. It is hard to conclude what the truth is from the one-line cryptic comment in the other forum, I'd say.

- Craig
02-08-2018, 02:46 PM   #114
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
I kind of felt it coming, but a longstanding and reliable source on the other forum was kind enough to spill the beans. There is no K3 successor in sight. It's the KP and K1(mkII) Pentax shooters will have to make do with. For me, it is the end of the road with Pentax, and the beginning of saving up for the Nikon/Sigma combo.
Somehow, you know these things down inside: I went through it all with Olympus when they ditched 4/3. All those people clinging on to the E5 successor that never came...
Ricoh is clearly going in other directions, mainly FF directions that is...

Oh, and who said that the DA*11-18 did not fit well on the KP? Seems that it is made for that camera after all....

Chris
Chris don't be timid......why not tell the name of "The Other Forum" so others can be as informed as you seem to be! I think I'm going to wait for the official news from Ricoh rather than from a post in another forum speculation discussion.

Larry

Last edited by Larrymc; 02-08-2018 at 02:57 PM.
02-08-2018, 02:47 PM   #115
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A K-3 replacement will probably be released along with the 11-18mm...

---------- Post added 02-08-18 at 10:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
@ Chris Mak, I don't mean to suggest that you should not change brands or stick with Pentax. I'm also not trying to conjure false (or faint) hopes!

However, I think that the sparse comment in 'the other forum' could be interpreted in different ways. What does "sadly not in sight" and "not real" really mean? Is the K-3 II replacement not ready for a near-term announcement? Not ready for market in 2018? Not in sight, ever? And "not real" could be an obvious fact simply if the camera is not in its final stage of design and test, or not 'real' if it's not in production. It is hard to conclude what the truth is from the one-line cryptic comment in the other forum, I'd say.

- Craig
It probably means that the distributors have got no message about a K-3 replacement, but does have info about a new K-1 (and the 50mm lens to go with it and maybe other lenses as well). This, of course do not mean that there wont be a K-3 replacement.
02-08-2018, 03:03 PM   #116
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Chris don't be timid......why not tell the name of "The Other Forum" so others can be as informed as you seem to be! I think I'm going to wait for the official news from Ricoh rather than from a post in another forum speculation discussion.

Larry
K1 mk ii vs K3 mk iii: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

^ That looks to be the discussion in question. Funny thing is that there are 2 people in the know. One of them says no APS-C flagship coming & the other one says that the KP is not going to be the APS-C flagship. Hmmm.........
02-08-2018, 03:08 PM   #117
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote

^ That looks to be the discussion in question. Funny thing is that there are 2 people in the know. One of them says no APS-C flagship coming & the other one says that the KP is not going to be the APS-C flagship. Hmmm.........
Hence, no one has a clue of what's in store.
Let's be calm and wait for something OFFICIAL ...
02-08-2018, 03:09 PM   #118
Pentaxian

We'll see about that - information should be available in a few weeks/months.
02-08-2018, 03:14 PM   #119
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote

Yes, funny is it not?
But in all honesty, the "other source" has always been sincere and very carefull with info. Even if the K1 new firmware was cancelled due to the new K1 camera coming.
He just gave confirmation that the KP is the highest APS-C camera for Pentax, and you know, as I said, this was my "instinct" all along.
I at least am grateful to him for clearing this up. I can now make plans.
And regarding the source here: no disrespect meant whatsoever, but I do not believe him on APS-C. Instinct I guess...
It's a bit sad, but as I said, I knew all along inside that the KP was it.

"Sorry, but K-3lll is sadly not in sight and not real"

"That was the old plan, correct...There was no higher development than the KP"...

How much clearer can you get it?

Of course, everyone is always free to wait for interviews better yet: try the KP!
Only spreading rumors after all you know....but what matters is: next "flagship" APS-C camera will be the KPmkII, and that will take some waiting yet.

Chris
02-08-2018, 03:22 PM   #120
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I see that K-3II is gone from Norway too. The 645z has dropped significantly in price.