Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2018, 03:40 PM   #121
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
K1 mk ii vs K3 mk iii: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

^ That looks to be the discussion in question. Funny thing is that there are 2 people in the know. One of them says no APS-C flagship coming & the other one says that the KP is not going to be the APS-C flagship. Hmmm.........
Oh I know who the person is and the web site. Its kind of strange that that particular person is not a member of PF but instead will only post in "The other Forum". I will wait on the official info from Ricoh rather than a bunch of unsubstantiated postings on any web site.

---------- Post added 02-08-18 at 05:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Hence, no one has a clue of what's in store.
Let's be calm and wait for something OFFICIAL ...
I'm with you on this one, there are way to many "wild" speculations flying around this subject right now!

Larry

02-08-2018, 05:02 PM   #122
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
... There is no K3 successor in sight. It's the KP and K1(mkII) Pentax shooters will have to make do with. ...

At least locally the KP has come down in price now to the same level as the K-3 II, which makes it a bit more appealing, IMHO. But if there's really no K-3 III on the horizon, then let's really hope the K-1 Mark II brings a lot more than a firmware update to the table...

Last edited by Doundounba; 02-08-2018 at 05:09 PM.
02-08-2018, 05:21 PM - 2 Likes   #123
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, funny is it not?
But in all honesty, the "other source" has always been sincere and very carefull with info. Even if the K1 new firmware was cancelled due to the new K1 camera coming.
He just gave confirmation that the KP is the highest APS-C camera for Pentax, and you know, as I said, this was my "instinct" all along.
I at least am grateful to him for clearing this up. I can now make plans.
And regarding the source here: no disrespect meant whatsoever, but I do not believe him on APS-C. Instinct I guess...
It's a bit sad, but as I said, I knew all along inside that the KP was it.

"Sorry, but K-3lll is sadly not in sight and not real"

"That was the old plan, correct...There was no higher development than the KP"...

How much clearer can you get it?

Of course, everyone is always free to wait for interviews better yet: try the KP!
Only spreading rumors after all you know....but what matters is: next "flagship" APS-C camera will be the KPmkII, and that will take some waiting yet.

Chris
Hmmmmmm. Kenspo suggested otherwise.

The K-3 is still just an evolution from the K-7 body. I said weeks ago it is time for a frame-up redesign of the APSc form factor. None of that means KP is the APSc flagship.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-08-2018 at 05:26 PM.
02-08-2018, 05:32 PM - 1 Like   #124
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Electric Light Orchestra - Don't Bring Me Down - YouTube

At least locally the KP has come down in price now to the same level as the K-3 II, which makes it a bit more appealing, IMHO. But if there's really no K-3 III on the horizon, then let's really hope the K-1 Mark II brings a lot more than a firmware update to the table...
I for one Will Not upgrade to a KP! The form factor does not appeal to me in the least, add to that the lack of dual card slots and the slow frame rate plus the battery from the K-30, K-50 series makes it a nonstarter for me. Now if they change the goofy front wheel and make the body more K-3 like and add a top LCD and call it a KP I could deal with that but as it is it generates no interest from me at all and offers no value to me at all. Just my two cents worth.

Larry

---------- Post added 02-08-18 at 06:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

The K-3 is still just an evolution from the K-7 body. I said weeks ago it is time for a frame-up redesign of the APSc form factor. None of that means KP is the APSc flagship.
I have no problems with it being a frame up redesign but I really would like that they keep the K-3 form factor its a perfect design, just solid design work without being overdone.

Larry

02-08-2018, 05:47 PM - 3 Likes   #125
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Can't imagine making a decision to dump/stick with a brand based on rumors and chit chat when there's only 21 days until the curtain rises.
02-08-2018, 06:45 PM - 1 Like   #126
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

He just gave confirmation that the KP is the highest APS-C camera for Pentax
Seriously ?
02-08-2018, 08:16 PM - 2 Likes   #127

I sure hope they don't move away from the K-7 design, that form factor is ergonomically perfect. That's a huge disappointment that there is no K-3 successor on the horizon, the K-P is completely out of my interest as a replacement for my K-3.

Last edited by Dipsoid; 02-08-2018 at 08:22 PM.
02-08-2018, 08:50 PM - 1 Like   #128
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dipsoid Quote
I sure hope they don't move away from the K-7 design, that form factor is ergonomically perfect. That's a huge disappointment that there is no K-3 successor on the horizon, the K-P is completely out of my interest as a replacement for my K-3.
This is nuts. A cryptic comment from Asahi man on DPR has the PID crowd all up in arms. My point is the core internal architecture of the K-7 - based system may have reached the limit of incremental improvement. While a new design architecture may be required, that doesn’t necessarily mean a new design requires a different shell.

Asahi man’s comment in no way precludes a new flagship APSc or that KP is a flagship (it clearly isn’t). He could mean a release isn’t set for CP+ - so late summer is still consistent with his comment. I do not believe Pentax has abandoned APSc flagship cameras. That’s their volume technology product - necessary to support FF and 645.

FWIW, I have a K-1 and a KP. Each has it strengths and weaknesses. I sold my K-3 and won’t likely upgrade to the next APSc flagship. They’ve gotten too small for me to use as my primary working camera
02-08-2018, 09:29 PM   #129

This is nuts. A cryptic comment from Asahi man on DPR has the PID crowd all up in arms. My point is the core internal architecture of the K-7 - based system may have reached the limit of incremental improvement. While a new design architecture may be required, that doesn’t necessarily mean a new design requires a different shell.

Asahi man’s comment in no way precludes a new flagship APSc or that KP is a flagship (it clearly isn’t). He could mean a release isn’t set for CP+ - so late summer is still consistent with his comment. I do not believe Pentax has abandoned APSc flagship cameras. That’s their volume technology product - necessary to support FF and 645.

FWIW, I have a K-1 and a KP. Each has it strengths and weaknesses. I sold my K-3 and won’t likely upgrade to the next APSc flagship. They’ve gotten too small for me to use as my primary working camera
Sheesh, if expressing the most minutely negative opinion is being "up in arms," I don't know how you react when people are actually negative. Seriously, the Pentax Police that come calling with the "PID" crap is frustrating. Did I say anything about Pentax going out of business, or abandoning products? I said I'm disappointed there doesn't seem to be another APS-C flagship on the horizon.

I'm sorry, that's anything but cryptic. It's crystal clear. There is no K-3 successor in sight. Not "there isn't one ready for CP+" It isn't in sight. I don't believe Pentax is abandoning their APS-C flagship either, but I can feel disappointment that the crop-flagship is not the focus of Pentax at the moment. Others will be excited about the full-frame developments, and they're lucky to get news on something that interests them. Everyone has different priorities. Someone's priorities not aligning with all butterflies and rainbows all the time is not "PID"
02-08-2018, 09:31 PM   #130
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree with you regarding Asahi Man! As for the shell lets hope they do keep it if indeed there is a new APSc flagship soon or in 2018 and load up with Flagship worthy features. the KP was never flagshipish enough for me although it has great IQ.

Larry
02-08-2018, 09:39 PM   #131
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dipsoid Quote
Sheesh, if expressing the most minutely negative opinion is being "up in arms," I don't know how you react when people are actually negative. Seriously, the Pentax Police that come calling with the "PID" crap is frustrating. Did I say anything about Pentax going out of business, or abandoning products? I said I'm disappointed there doesn't seem to be another APS-C flagship on the horizon.

I'm sorry, that's anything but cryptic. It's crystal clear. There is no K-3 successor in sight. Not "there isn't one ready for CP+" It isn't in sight. I don't believe Pentax is abandoning their APS-C flagship either, but I can feel disappointment that the crop-flagship is not the focus of Pentax at the moment. Others will be excited about the full-frame developments, and they're lucky to get news on something that interests them. Everyone has different priorities. Someone's priorities not aligning with all butterflies and rainbows all the time is not "PID"
Exactly.

And before everyone goes off the deep end, he did have a follow up comment in the same thread:

dpr member comment:

"Thank you for ending a longstanding doubt.
But is Ricoh not worried that many APS-C users will leave Pentax when there is no higher specced camera than the KP?"

asahiman response:

"This is the reason why Pentax is switching and is in a development of a higher class.
But the last development was only for the new fullframe body and lenses.
So it needs still a longer time to see a new APS-C flagship."

So it looks like development resources are going towards FF at the moment and the crop side is taking a back burner.
02-08-2018, 09:40 PM   #132
Pentaxian

My K-30 is larger than I would prefer. If they made a "Q" with an EVF, I would purchase that. If they made a APS MILC with an EVF, I would purchase that. I'm expecting neither of those, so I'm expecting to purchase a KP in another year or so.
02-08-2018, 09:40 PM - 1 Like   #133
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
The [KP] form factor does not appeal to me in the least, add to that the lack of dual card slots and the slow frame rate plus the battery from the K-30, K-50 series makes it a nonstarter for me.
Don't forget the top LCD (or GPS for K-3 II owners). For me, going K-3 -> KP would be a weird "side-grade", not a true upgrade, IMHO. Thus the song I linked to above about the statement that a K-3 successor might still be pretty far away: "Don't bring me down".

The worst, IMHO, is not so much about what's there or what's changed, but what didn't change. By now I would have hoped a camera at the K-70's level would have inherited the K-3's AF module and the top level APS-C camera would have something newer. I don't need D500 level AF, and AF is actually fairly low in my priorities list, but still... By now I would have hoped that video specs would at least have moved a little - like 1080p @ 60fps. Again, I don't mind that video not be a top priority, but it shouldn't be at a standstill for years and years, spec-wise. And I agree that offering less buffer and FPS in the KP than what's in the K-3 makes no sense (especially if you're not planning for a K-3 successor quickly). It's not like the people for whom fps & buffer are important will buy a K-1 instead - it doesn't even match the K-3's fps shooting 15MP APS-C frames.

My K-3 recently hit 50k shutter actuations. I could buy a new body right about now, though it's perhaps not a bad thing that I not spend a thing on a new body and just keep shooting my K-3... But no current Pentax body offers me a very significant upgrade, IMHO. The K-70, the KP and even the K-1 all have a definite appeal, but none is as clear a winner against the competition as the K-3 was when I purchased it. And each one of those bodies has significant drawbacks vrs the K-3 or K-3 II. In fact, if I buy a new (or new to me) Pentax body soon, it's most likely to be a K-3 II. But I picked the K-3 above the X-T1 (amongst others), now looking at K-3 II vrs X-T20 or X-T2, it's a very significantly different equation. Things have moved a ton in m4/3s too. And in Sony land.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't still pick Pentax. But I wish they weren't moving at what seems like less than half the pace of the rest of the field...

Sorry for ranting a bit. Maybe the K-1 Mark II will be a pleasant surprise...
02-08-2018, 09:44 PM   #134
mee
Veteran Member

For what its worth, and for those that don't frequent DPR, another member in that same thread also posted this comment:

"According to my German Pentax dealer, there will be no K-3 II successor in 2018.
But he is looking forward to many exciting Pentax products in 2018 that he's not allowed to talk about."
02-08-2018, 09:47 PM - 1 Like   #135
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That's because the K-7 was already perfect.

I appreciate the attempt to make the KP a little smaller, but it seems like such a hack job. And they had to switch to a teeny tiny battery to do it.

And doesn't anybody get it yet? The K-1 is the flagship! Pentax did not feel the need to make another flagship after they produced the K-1. That's why they're late coming out with a K-3ii replacement, our reactions took them by surprise.