Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2018, 12:30 PM   #181
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
So, what Nikon did was rip the heart out of the D7xxx line in order to support a higher end camera (the D500). I think the difficult thing thing for Pentax is that they need a camera that will sell. If they could have a camera that has D7500 specs with 2 card slots and a deeper buffer, I think that would be a nice seller in the 1200 dollar range. I certainly don't see them going over that.

Overall, the signs are that they are working on APS-C currently and that once full frame is released they will get that out the door, but it'll be after summer, unless I miss my guess.
You may have missed some posts, but there sadly is no K3 successor in sight according asahiman (who is one of these rare people without an agenda and simply shares bare, honest knowledge, if he has any).
The KP was originally meant as a mid-class K3II successor, and all the R&D of the past years has gone into the new K1mkII body and lenses for the system.
Time for APS-C shooters to wake up....

n.b. anyone who likes the KP or craves the K1mkII: you may continue asleep...
Oh, and a none existing body does not sell well it seems..

Chris

Last edited by Chris Mak; 02-09-2018 at 12:36 PM.
02-09-2018, 12:42 PM   #182
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
You may have missed some posts, but there sadly is no K3 successor in sight according asahiman (who is one of these rare people without an agenda and simply shares bare, honest knowledge, if he has any).
The KP was originally meant as a mid-class K3II successor, and all the R&D of the past years has gone into the new K1mkII body and lenses for the system.
Time for APS-C shooters to wake up....

n.b. anyone who likes the KP or craves the K1mkII: you may continue asleep...
Oh, and a none existing body does not sell well it seems..

Chris
I currently shoot with a K3 and K1, so not sure where I fit in your categories.

I don't know what asahiman's information source is, but kenspo has made it clear that Pentax is working on advanced APS-C although he has no information on a time table for such camera's release date. Kenspo is a good source who doesn't seem to have an agenda either.

The hard thing is that Ricoh themselves may not know exactly when said camera will be done. Once they feel it is ready, then they will release and not before -- regardless of how much we want them to. And for whatever reason, their leaks are quite limited. I thought it was bad with Hoya, but it is worse now. When something gets leaked, it is literally a couple of weeks from announcement.
02-09-2018, 12:44 PM - 3 Likes   #183
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
You should hold onto it for now. We'll know something either by CP+ or by the time the DA* 11-18mm f/2.8 lens comes around. It's only 1 of 2 definite possibilities: it's coming or not coming. Hahaha!

If nothing happens then, November & December will be a slightly better time to buy that Sigma lens with the D500. That's when the manufacturers usually offer rebates and/or other incentives to get the people to start spending money for the holidays.
Thanks, but I already had set my time limit on this Photokina. Now that there will be no new APS-C body in 2018, and after that is still totally uncertain, because it does not really fit into Pentax' plans to release anything above the KP in crop factor, I have reached the point of no return myself. It will be nice to move away from the current K1 and DFA* obsessed Pentax, and get some fresh air at Nikon.

Chris

---------- Post added 02-09-18 at 08:52 PM ----------

I currently shoot with a K3 and K1, so not sure where I fit in your categories.

I don't know what asahiman's information source is, but kenspo has made it clear that Pentax is working on advanced APS-C although he has no information on a time table for such camera's release date. Kenspo is a good source who doesn't seem to have an agenda either.

The hard thing is that Ricoh themselves may not know exactly when said camera will be done. Once they feel it is ready, then they will release and not before -- regardless of how much we want them to. And for whatever reason, their leaks are quite limited. I thought it was bad with Hoya, but it is worse now. When something gets leaked, it is literally a couple of weeks from announcement.
I value Kenspo's contributions like anyone here, but for me in my situation, he is a bit too "rosy" in his outlook. For him, the Pentax future is always bright, with 2017 being the "year of the primes" and such. I don't ponder on asahiman's sources, but what he says has proven right over time, and lacks the "brightness" of Kenspos predictions. So sure, an APS-C body will once see the light, but putting off the rosy spectacles, it is not going to be this year. Anyway, it does not matter, for me personally, the situation has also changed: Nikon brought the D500, Sigma brought the 500mm/f4 sports. So also my future is bright!

Chris

Last edited by Chris Mak; 02-09-2018 at 12:53 PM.
02-09-2018, 01:01 PM - 7 Likes   #184
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You may have missed some posts, but there sadly is no K3 successor in sight according asahiman (who is one of these rare people without an agenda and simply shares bare, honest knowledge, if he has any). The KP was originally meant as a mid-class K3II successor, and all the R&D of the past years has gone into the new K1mkII body and lenses for the system. Time for APS-C shooters to wake up....
You keep repeating this as if it was a fact. It is not. It is your interpretation of a few sentences posted on the internet by someone who has in the past had perhaps a 50% record of being correct.

If you wish to move to a different system that is your right and you should get the equipment that makes you happy. But constantly downing Ricoh for something that you personally know nothing about is a bit much. Especially when in only a few weeks we have one of the biggest trades in the industry.

My opinion is that Ricoh would not have taken the time to mark the K-3II as discontinued and remove it from their website unless there was another body coming to take its place.

02-09-2018, 01:02 PM   #185
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Does Pentax follow pass of Ford or GM ?

Just recently I have read the article, that American car makers are on the goal to completely abandon production of sedans in favor of trucks and SUV. In other words if you want to drive F-150 you are welcome, but if you need light car, ask Toyota or Honda. Could it be the same with Pentax where 645 line states for trucks and K-1 line states for SUV?
02-09-2018, 01:22 PM - 2 Likes   #186
Veteran Member

... it does not really fit into Pentax' plans to release anything above the KP in crop factor....
If you've reached a breaking point, that's fine, but the quote above seems quite mistaken and misleading. Based on what little info/rumors we have, Ricoh do plan on a higher-level APS-C successor - it's just still rather far away. Far away just means beyond what people like distributors/resellers/ambassadors have visibility into, AFAICT. So your statement above is incorrect.
02-09-2018, 01:28 PM   #187
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
You keep repeating this as if it was a fact. It is not. It is your interpretation of a few sentences posted on the internet by someone who has in the past had perhaps a 50% record of being correct.

If you wish to move to a different system that is your right and you should get the equipment that makes you happy. But constantly downing Ricoh for something that you personally know nothing about is a bit much. Especially when in only a few weeks we have one of the biggest trades in the industry.

My opinion is that Ricoh would not have taken the time to mark the K-3II as discontinued and remove it from their website unless there was another body coming to take its place.
I can understand that it all does not seem to add up. But be aware that the KP was originally meant as the K3II successor, even DPreview officially announced that before later retracting that statement. The fact that Pentax may be changing their mind about that, does not take away from two simple (to me now) facts:
-The KP was meant to replace the K3II, so the K3II was meant to be discontinued
-The R&D of let's say the last two years, has mostly all gone into the K1mkII and the lenses for that system.

Just wait for the CP+ announcements if you object to these being presented as facts. What I personally object to, is the notion that a new high end flagship APS-C camera would simply fall from the sky. Even if Pentax has changed plan, and intents to offer an APS-C camera above the KP, it will take a long time developing such a camera.

Chris

02-09-2018, 01:36 PM   #188
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Overall, the signs are that they are working on APS-C currently and that once full frame is released they will get that out the door, but it'll be after summer, unless I miss my guess.
The Forum’s persistently reasonable, unemotional observer gets it (I think) right (again).

.:
02-09-2018, 01:36 PM   #189
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the KP was originally meant as the K3II successor
In now way other than chronologically. It might be that they decided to discontinue the K-3 line, but the KP is not in that line, whatever anyone who knows a little more than us says.
02-09-2018, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #190
Pentaxian

Chris, if you decided that jumping ship is what you should do, that's fine. If you decide you cannot wait any longer, that's fine. I'd rather have you happy using non-Pentax equipment, than upset with Pentax.
But I don't get it... you're trying to convince everyone that no Pentax APS-C flagship will ever come (or something like that). You're working hard on two forums (that I know of) to this end. Why??
02-09-2018, 01:47 PM   #191
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Chris, if you decided that jumping ship is what you should do, that's fine. If you decide you cannot wait any longer, that's fine. I'd rather have you happy using non-Pentax equipment, than upset with Pentax.
But I don't get it... you're trying to convince everyone that no Pentax APS-C flagship will ever come (or something like that). You're working hard on two forums (that I know of) to this end. Why??
Significant emotional and financial investment in the Brand. Expectations not met. Projection of present* far into future.

* See US common stocks. January, 2018 was the largest USD inflow into equity mutual funds and ETF’s in history, projecting gains for the next three years. Same people are projecting the last two weeks (expected, normal) decline into a calamitous bear market.
02-09-2018, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #192
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

-The KP was meant to replace the K3II, so the K3II was meant to be discontinued -The R&D of let's say the last two years, has mostly all gone into the K1mkII and the lenses for that system.
Again NOT FACTS. Just your personal OPINION. You know nothing about what is happening at Ricoh. If you wish to state your OPINION, please do, you are most welcome. But stating unsupported conjecture and rumors as facts is disingenuous at best. It contributes nothing to the discussion and comes across to those who know better as sour grapes or worse. It also comes across to those who do not know better as fake news that might be believed.

Perhaps your opinion is correct and there will never be another APS-C flagship. But please state that as OPINION, not facts.
02-09-2018, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #193
Veteran Member

I have to say it would be nice if Ricoh told us at CP+ what their plans are for their cameras in the near future are. Just to Quash the “Doomed” memes!

It looks like they will be aiming at a $2k aps-c flagship and a $2.5k K1ii as far as price points go.
02-09-2018, 02:38 PM   #194
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Don't think too much of it.
I really expected a K3II successor up until a few days ago.
Why: because it seemed logical, the K1 launch already took up much of Pentax' resources and efforts over the last years, and I somehow thought it logical that it would now be time for the APS-C refresh.
Due to the complete absence of info/rumors or whatever over the last year, I did not know what to expect, only using my own reference on what would be likely.
Missing the mark by such an extent was not what I expected, but the K1mkII rumor so close to CP+ rang a bell.

So, ok, I am grateful to asahiman for sticking his neck out, and giving me and others a view on what has been going on behind scenes at Pentax/Ricoh. Because they'll be damned before they offer any communication themselves. I guess it is enough to draw my conclusions and simply start the switch, you are right.
But I cannot deny that I feel as if Pentax has been pulling my leg over the past years, they should have cleared the air and stated what their plans were with the KP, at least that is how I see it.
Consider it a bit of therapee to get the disappointment out of my system. All in all I am not that concerned with what others think or believe. I just feel the need to blow some clouds of false expectations away, considering that there are quite a few others that must have believed this year we would see a K3 successor.

Chris
02-09-2018, 02:47 PM   #195
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
I have to say it would be nice if Ricoh told us at CP+ what their plans are for their cameras in the near future are. Just to Quash the “Doomed” memes!

It looks like they will be aiming at a $2k aps-c flagship and a $2.5k K1ii as far as price points go.
Maybe they'll tease us again with an APS-C flagship mockup under glass. Don't expect any news on pricing until they're nearly ready for sale.