02-23-2018, 08:29 PM - 1 Like   #496
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Surely you jest,
(And yes I called you Shirley.)
Roger Roger.

What I like about my K-3. adequate but barely... 8 FPS, K-1 -4 FPS, ridiculous for wildlife and action
K-3 - 23 shot buffer in burst mode K-1 the manual says up to 17 but in practice it seems more like 6 or 7.
Field of View... your 300mm lens on your K-3 now has a 200mm field of view on your K-1

No one in their right mind who takes advantage of the K-3's action features is happy with a K-1. Every now and then I put the K-1 on the 300 and 1.7 just to see what I can get, but I invariably find it so slow and the buffer so shallow, that I take it off within a few minutes.
It seems obvious in retrospect, doesn't it? But do you remember a time before the K-1? I don't know what it was like here, but over on DPReview the angst was thick; the moaning for FF was constant. (Or mirrorless, but that's another topic)

02-23-2018, 08:40 PM   #497
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vAsberg Quote
Reading all the relevant threads regularly.

I started 2006 in the APS-C with K-10, then K-20, K-7, K-5 , K-3 with a bunch of Pentax and some Sigma lenses.
I then stopped buying further lenses 2016 in absence of the K-3 successor. (call it "stop of further investment")
Instead they came up with the KP, which nobody had asked for. (same story with the K-1: who asked for a K-1 II?
I currently have a K-30. I was planning on upgrading to the K-70 - I never thought of something like the KP, so it never occurred to me to ask for it. I am thrilled with the KP! It will take me some time yet to put the money aside, but Pentax will get a lot more from me with the KP than they ever would have gotten with the K-70 .... and I'll be happier!
02-24-2018, 12:53 AM - 1 Like   #498
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote
Roger Roger.

It seems obvious in retrospect, doesn't it? But do you remember a time before the K-1? I don't know what it was like here, but over on DPReview the angst was thick; the moaning for FF was constant. (Or mirrorless, but that's another topic)
Yes, no embellishment of the time before K-1, Pentax was doomed constantly. Mirrorless is well regarded as a kind of negative deus ex machina that can always be played when Pentax seems to have done something almost right: 'Yeah, but mirrorless is the future and if they don't go for it immediately they will loose all marketshare...' - sort of.

Last edited by MMVIII; 02-24-2018 at 02:34 AM.
02-24-2018, 06:22 PM - 1 Like   #499
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote
I don't know what it was like here, but over on DPReview the angst was thick; the moaning for FF was constant.
Yes, the moaning was constant here too. But then, not much has changed, everyone just found new things to moan about.

02-24-2018, 06:25 PM   #500
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rangercarp Quote
Yes, the moaning was constant here too. But then, not much has changed, everyone just found new things to moan about.
We did lose a few members who bought Nikon D800s and just came by to rub it in our faces. Once the K-1 was out, they couldn't find an audience.
02-24-2018, 06:28 PM   #501
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rangercarp Quote
the moaning was constant here too
the moaning without, takes the moaner away from their within, ie. it takes them away from who they are and they don't have to deal with themselves, it is always someone or something else, it is a disease.
the moaners need to have a look at themselves, they can't because they have the disease, it is not them they say.
02-24-2018, 07:15 PM - 1 Like   #502
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
the moaners need to have a look at themselves,
I say HEY moaner...OH moaner...i say yeah yeah yeah moaner...oh moaner
Launch my drone right next door to you...yeah moaner...oh moaner
look in the mirror MOANER!

02-25-2018, 06:51 PM   #503
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I currently have a K-30. I was planning on upgrading to the K-70 - I never thought of something like the KP, so it never occurred to me to ask for it. I am thrilled with the KP! It will take me some time yet to put the money aside, but Pentax will get a lot more from me with the KP than they ever would have gotten with the K-70 .... and I'll be happier!
I'm not following - why is the KP going to make you "much happier" than the K-70? It seems like you lose some (articulating screen), and gain some, no? It seems like a tough call on a value basis.
02-25-2018, 06:58 PM   #504
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I'm not following - why is the KP going to make you "much happier" than the K-70? It seems like you lose some (articulating screen), and gain some, no? It seems like a tough call on a value basis.
The K-70 is basically a descendent of the K-30 I currently use. The K-30 has a known issue with aperture control, and I'm tired of dealing with that, while the KP is basically K-3 build quality. I don't need the burst speed and queue that are lacking in the KP, and I think the design is really cool.
02-25-2018, 07:16 PM   #505
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-30 has a known issue with aperture control
from what I have read, I'm sure the issue with the K-30/50 doesn't continue on into the K-70
02-25-2018, 07:34 PM   #506
Pentaxian

The K-70 is basically a descendent of the K-30 I currently use. The K-30 has a known issue with aperture control, and I'm tired of dealing with that, while the KP is basically K-3 build quality. I don't need the burst speed and queue that are lacking in the KP, and I think the design is really cool.
I believe the aperture control issue has been fixed, but don't think you'll find universal agreement that the KP is K-3 (or even K-5) build quality.
02-27-2018, 09:45 AM   #507
Forum Member

We did lose a few members who bought Nikon D800s and just came by to rub it in our faces. Once the K-1 was out, they couldn't find an audience.
I guess the same people now have D850 and still "rub you" norm. :P

jokes aside... "PENTAX IS DOOMED"™... LOL
02-27-2018, 03:39 PM - 2 Likes   #508
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I believe the aperture control issue has been fixed, but don't think you'll find universal agreement that the KP is K-3 (or even K-5) build quality.
I find very little lacking in the KP build quality. Features (card slots, buffer, top lcd display, frame rate) is another story, but build quality, I don't see any downgrading compared to the K3 I sold.
Responsiveness, stability are better than at least my former K3, which I can only describe as buggy, and as I handle the KP exclusively with the batterygrip attached, I don't think it handles any worse on my DA560, than the K3 did. I dó miss the 100% zoom level of the K3 though: with the KP, there is no 100% setting or indication.
Things like the infamous mirror rattling, but also random lock-ups when stressing the AF, or sub-par AF with a half depleted battery, all made me more and more wary of the K3, and took the enjoyment out of using it. It's a sigh of relief to find that the KP does not (so far) seem to suffer from these quirks, and seems a very stable and responsive camera, which also drives my DA560 better (faster and less hunting).
So all in all, what is K-3 "build quality" actually worth in terms of performance and reliability, and in what way is it better than the KP? I wouldn't know... In fact, I would say the opposite.

Chris
02-27-2018, 04:11 PM - 1 Like   #509
Pentaxian

It seems like you lose some (articulating screen), and gain some, no?
Actually, I like the KP LCD better - it is more subtle than the one that sticks out the side.
03-05-2018, 09:25 AM - 2 Likes   #510
Forum Member

Read that.
You're not going to believe what I'm about to tell you - The Oatmeal Neat link, but warning re use of language which may offend some people.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 03-05-2018 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Language warning added.