Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2018, 03:49 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
Any working polar mount is better than astrotracer - usually it is even easier to set-up correctly than the astrotracer. Sure the astrotracer is better then nothing. You can do series or 30s exposures and do miracles with it. It is the classic Pentax lightweight travel compromise solution. Few years ago I went to Tenerife with some astrophotographers. They had their heavy equipment, I had a K-5 with astrotracer. It took me longer to set it up and my photos were not as good, but it did save me some weight.
What is with your guys seriously. :Something I have to buy and carry is better than Astrotracer... duh. You don't have to buy Astrotracer, you don't have to carry any extra weight. You are talking apples and oranges. We aren't talking about more things we have to buy, we are talking about tech included in the camera body.

As I said before, if you're saying Asrotracer isn't better than what is included in some other camera body, that's of interest. The equipment you are talking about can be employed on any camera. It's not brand specific.

This is just as crazy stupid as claiming IBIS is not good because you can buy in lens stabilization(which ignores the fact that older lenses are stabilized with IBIS.) Really, give it a rest. give us some useful information.

Is a K-1 with Astrotracer better than a D810 without? That's all that's relevant. What you can buy that might be better is only of interest to a few. I suppose I could mount my K-1 to an observatory telescope and that would be even better, but of what relevance is that to this confversation? This conversation is about cameras bodies and astro-photgraphy. No one gives a hoot scrap about your expensive off body toys.

If you want to get into what's available for astro-photography, that's a whole different issue and definitely not brand specific.

"I'd like to try Astrotracer for astrophotography"
"Astrotracer, that's not good enough for me."
"well, it's not all about you, is it?".

There is a huge difference between using something built in and buy-in extra-gear, although and this was the original point, Astrotracer might be all you want. With Pentax you can try it out and see how it does. With any other camera, like Ian above, you have to buy something else, just to try it out and see if you'd like it.

QuoteQuote:
Sure the astrotracer is better then nothing.
The only relevant thing in the post.

Last edited by normhead; 02-07-2018 at 04:00 PM.
02-07-2018, 05:27 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote

Here's an example of what the astrotracer can do, in moderately light polluted skies.
The FA 100mm F/2.8 Macro worked well here. Nice! I have this lens in my kit, will have to give it a go!
02-08-2018, 08:08 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a feeling astrotracer might be quite useful with lenses such as 24 1.4, or 50mm and higher. I've yet to try it, and I don't have the 24 1.4 yet, but I think it will not present any streaking at extreme edges that I see with UWA lenses, and will give me maybe a stop or two or iso advantage over camera without astro tracer. For amateur astro work it should be good enough