Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2018, 08:11 PM - 1 Like   #46
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The more I look at Asahiman's teaser, the more I think it is just a manipulated image of a K-5 silver, like this one.

It is meant to be a teaser, but it has not appeared on any official Ricoh communication channel. Perhaps something is coming in February, but I don't think this is an image of it.

We have to be careful. There are a number of conflicting rumors about Ricoh/Pentax. I'm inclined to disbelieve anything Asahiman has said recently, including the information about firmware updates, and the what he has said about the K-3 successor coming or not coming.

Last edited by JPT; 02-10-2018 at 08:38 PM.
02-10-2018, 08:38 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
The more I look at Asahiman's teaser, the more I think it is just a manipulated image of a K-5 silver, like this one.

Perhaps something is coming in February, but I don't think this is an image of it.
That looks pretty much like the alleged new body. It might be my imagination but I think I can see a mode wheel on the switch side too in Asahiman's photo.

Larry
02-10-2018, 10:55 PM   #48
Pentaxian

I think DPR is right. The KP was the intended successor of the KP and as Asahiman said, they listened to the user base crying for a K-3II type of camera. Based on the rumors, it's the K-1 II. I'm happy for you full framers. Ricoh is really bringing new things for you.

For us APSC users well, as Asahiman stated, we'll see it probably next year. I still see light at the end of the tunnel with the intro of the DA* 11-18. I'm not ready for a new camera yet though I really want new glass like and 80-400 or a 100-400.

Good luck to all with this new baby coming. I hope we'll be happy.

Last edited by totsmuyco; 02-10-2018 at 10:56 PM. Reason: spelling
02-11-2018, 01:20 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

well what ever it is I'm sure it will be a good one as usual, we needed some new threads the old ones going back 12 months were getting stale, nice to see a renewed flurry of posts in multiple speculation threads

well a KP could be just the ticket while waiting in the meantime

02-11-2018, 01:42 AM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I think DPR is right
Heresy!

More seriously - I don't know why Asahiman seems to have deserted these forums in favour of DPR - it's not as if he's busy staunchly defending Pentax there in stead of feeding us information here..
02-11-2018, 01:44 AM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
A sufficiently small FF body with sufficient of megapixels (more than 36) could be tempting for APS users as well, and will sit nicely along with the KP in the line-up.
Not really tempting for me as it defeats the purpose of the optical viewfinder (unless they have devised a solution for switching the finder view to APS-C magnification).
02-11-2018, 02:48 AM - 1 Like   #52
Veteran Member

Looks like we have a K-5 Mark 3 instead.

02-11-2018, 02:58 AM   #53
Pentaxian

Maybe they will replace the K-70 line with a K-5/K-3 like camera in a plastic instead of magnesium alloy body but with the internals of the K-5/K-3 for reliability. It would need a flip out screen though. When you hover over the pic on dpreview it says shutter speed 1/10.000 second.

Last edited by D1N0; 02-11-2018 at 03:09 AM.
02-11-2018, 03:10 AM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Maybe they will replace the K-70 line with a K-5/K-3 like camera in a plastic instead of magnesium alloy body but with the internals of the K-5/K-3 for reliability. It would need a flip out screen though.
Given low volume and declining market, the focus in investment in Theta. DSLR line are only kept alive for making a profit without spending a lot in R&D. That means cheapo DSLR below 1K are gone. KP is the baseline. Prices are going to be between $1K (entry level) and $3K (full frame), and camera specs will somehow reflect the prices.
02-11-2018, 03:14 AM   #55
Pentaxian

Because higher-level cameras are easier to make without R&D spending?
02-11-2018, 03:17 AM - 2 Likes   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
That means cheapo DSLR below 1K are gone. KP is the baseline.
Canon is still churning out new rebels, Fuji comes with an XA-3 There are very good under $1000 camera's from all makers. The K-70 is the base line at the moment for Pentax. They will not leave the segment.
02-11-2018, 03:38 AM   #57
Pentaxian

XA5

Canon is still churning out new rebels, Fuji comes with an XA-3 There are very good under $1000 camera's from all makers. The K-70 is the base line at the moment for Pentax. They will not leave the segment.
the Fuji that's new is XA-5
02-11-2018, 03:55 AM   #58

Had an opportunity to hold and see the xa5 last week from a photo exhibit here in Manila. First impression was it is a light camera and was quick to focus using the new bundled lens. Body was build in Thailand (I think) but was sure that the lens was made in the Philippines. The build quality of the lens was just not I expected coming from my experience with same plastic build by Pentax.

Would love to have a K5 body with the innards of the KP. Hope that new camera comes out and available immediately.
02-11-2018, 04:07 AM - 1 Like   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Given low volume and declining market, the focus in investment in Theta. DSLR line are only kept alive for making a profit without spending a lot in R&D. That means cheapo DSLR below 1K are gone. KP is the baseline. Prices are going to be between $1K (entry level) and $3K (full frame), and camera specs will somehow reflect the prices.
I think entry level cameras (which for Pentax now means 600-ish dollars) end up getting R and D trickled down from upper end cameras from a generation or two before combined with cheaper parts. I wouldn't see why Pentax wouldn't keep that tier in place.

I just think that what we are seeing now is that cameras aren't being replaced as frequently as in the past. Traditionally APS-C entry level would get replaced every year and APS-C flagship every 18 months. But with the release of new sensors slowing and camera companies running short on ideas to get people to ditch their old cameras and buy new, that's spacing out. Which is fine. If you don't have anything better to put out there, why turn out a new camera with a small boost in frame rate or different style flip out screen?
02-11-2018, 04:17 AM   #60
Pentaxian

Canon have 60% market share, Fuji have more than Pentax, they can be profitable out of lower margin products through sales of higher quantities. Pentax can't. That's the why Pentax KP. Pentax KP is built like entry level reuse of the K3 gut cost reduced (smaller buffer), but priced like a K3.

---------- Post added 11-02-18 at 12:19 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I wouldn't see why Pentax wouldn't keep that tier in place.
There is a reason: they have a new CEO and he said they would only keep high margin products.

I can imagine on a CEO visit to Ricoh Imaging offices, an employee raised his hand and said:
"Dear CEO, I understand that you only want us to design products with 60%+ gross margin, but I read Pentax forums, and they said Canon offer entry level camera at low margin".

The CEO replied:
"Dear loyal employee san, who is Pentax forums?, and since when they decide our strategy?"
"Dear employee san, if we look at how many Pentax K70 unit were sold, we actually sold much less K70 than Pentax K1 over the same period"
"Lets be pragmatic, if the full frame sells in more quantities at much higher margin than entry level apsc, we will focus resources on the product that make the most money"

After CEO answer, all Japanese in the room bowed the CEO, followed by a moment of deep silence.

You know, Japan is not like California or France where people go on strike when disagreeing. In Japan, total respect to senior management is the norm.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 02-11-2018 at 04:32 AM.