Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 232 Likes Search this Thread
02-11-2018, 12:58 PM   #106
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The question would rather be, what would be the needed magnification to get about the same size in crop mode than, say, a K3?
Would that be practically doable or only in dream ?

02-11-2018, 01:14 PM   #107
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Gee, and after spending so many words telling me I had no right to be annoyed mere weeks ago, you are now "really annoyed".
The world is a funny place sometimes.
I'm now really amused.
My specific complaint is that Pentax announced the suspension of production of the K-3ii before announcing a new APS_c flagship. If you made that complaint and I said something against it then bad on me. If you didn't your a troll. I don't care one way or the other. I am under no obligation to remain consistent in my opinions as circumstances change.

Last edited by normhead; 02-11-2018 at 01:24 PM.
02-11-2018, 01:14 PM   #108
Pentaxian

I see two things here:
1)Especially in sports and tracking a viewfinder with over 100% was considered an advantage, called sports-finder.
2)There is an existing optical viewfinder magnifier, Pentax O-ME53, with a factor of 1.2. Since only the central area would need to be magnified higher factors are possible and maybe even a solution in the housing of the viewfinder directly...?

Not saying this is coming, and not knowing if the disadvantages would be to great, but in comparison with the other option of carrying an additional camera for crop...
02-11-2018, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #109
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm really annoyed at Pentax at the moment. Should I be upgrading my K-3 to a K-3ii because no upgrade to AF, buffer and FPS coming? As I pointed out above, my K-3 is well into it's 5th year. It's starting to feel like Pentax doesn't even care if I (and other k-3/K-3ii users) buy another Pentax APS-c. To me, the K-P is more like a K-1 only not as good IQ.
It shouldn't last more than a few weeks

---------- Post added 11-02-18 at 13:17 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
I see two things here:
1)Especially in sports and tracking a viewfinder with over 100% was considered an advantage, called sports-finder.
2)There is an existing optical viewfinder magnifier, Pentax O-ME53, with a factor of 1.2. Since only the central area would need to be magnified higher factors are possible and maybe even a solution in the housing of the viewfinder directly...?

Not saying this is coming, and not knowing if the disadvantages would be to great, but in comparison with the other option of carrying an additional camera for crop...
I have to say K-1's viewfinder + O-ME53 looks as big as the digital 645 one.
An enormous pleasure enhancement, but no glasses required

02-11-2018, 01:29 PM   #110
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
The question would rather be, what would be the needed magnification to get about the same size in crop mode than, say, a K3?
Would that be practically doable or only in dream ?
0,95x, as stated above. The equivalent of a ME Super viewfinder, albeit bigger and more expensive since its coverage would have to be 100% (ME Super: 92%) to comply with the current trend.
02-11-2018, 01:33 PM   #111
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
0,95x, as stated above. The equivalent of a ME Super viewfinder, albeit bigger and more expensive since its coverage would have to be 100% (ME Super: 92%) to comply with the current trend.
Sorry wasn't clear to me when I read it.
That would be a heck of an OVF, but would probably look almost like Frankencam I suppose.
02-11-2018, 02:24 PM   #112
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
I have to say K-1's viewfinder + O-ME53 looks as big as the digital 645 one.
An enormous pleasure enhancement, but no glasses required
I recently bought one for each of my K-1 bodies. The difference is a revelation.

02-11-2018, 02:33 PM   #113
Veteran Member

Over in Fujiland the new XH-1 specs have been released and it has the same 6 year old 24mp sony sensor as the K3. Its clear that sensor improvements have hit a dead end so the notion of 18month upgrade cycles is over. The next K3 type model will be designed to be in production for 5 years. They will wait for the new BSI sensor from sony that should be released soon and presumably they will spend the time upgrading the AF module. The good news is that longer replacement cycle is good for profitability, since you have more production time to pay off the R&D.
02-11-2018, 02:50 PM   #114
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
Over in Fujiland the new XH-1 specs have been released and it has the same 6 year old 24mp sony sensor as the K3. Its clear that sensor improvements have hit a dead end so the notion of 18month upgrade cycles is over. The next K3 type model will be designed to be in production for 5 years. They will wait for the new BSI sensor from sony that should be released soon and presumably they will spend the time upgrading the AF module. The good news is that longer replacement cycle is good for profitability, since you have more production time to pay off the R&D.
I looked at the XH-1 announcement, and wondered about the sensor, because there was little information given about it. Are you sure it's the same sensor as the K-3's? It has the same MP count, but even if it's a development of the original, it surely has some improvements.

Nonetheless, I hope you're right about the next Pentax APS-C flagship containing the next generation sensor, as it needs to attract a new following, not just to be an upgrade for us long-time Pentax users.
02-11-2018, 02:52 PM   #115
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kenn100D Quote
Looks like we have a K-5 Mark 3 instead.
Lookin at the K-5II body and comparing it to everything that followed, I like that idea above every other.
(though either K-70 or K-1 styled display would be nice.)
02-11-2018, 03:09 PM   #116
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I looked at the XH-1 announcement, and wondered about the sensor, because there was little information given about it. Are you sure it's the same sensor as the K-3's? It has the same MP count, but even if it's a development of the original, it surely has some improvements.

Nonetheless, I hope you're right about the next Pentax APS-C flagship containing the next generation sensor, as it needs to attract a new following, not just to be an upgrade for us long-time Pentax users.
The leak looked pretty much like an actual spec sheet and there was no mention of BSI, so they’re assuming its some version of the old 24mp.
02-11-2018, 03:35 PM   #117
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am under no obligation to remain consistent in my opinions as circumstances change.
You have obviously been talking to my wife.

My carefully considered guess is that current global demand for the K-3 II is very low (hundreds per month?) and Ricoh has decided to not order another run of an outsourced component that is only used in the K-3, because that component will be replaced with a better version in the K-3 II successor, once the other improvements in this new flagship APS-C body are ironed out. If the K-1 II Super-duper is imminent, that outsourced component will probably be shared between FF and APS-C models well into the future and putting it in a K-1 doesn't require many adaptations. My guess is that it involves moving more data faster, between processors in the camera and to memory cards and other output devices.

This allows Ricoh to spark some fresh demand for the K-1, while recovering profit margins. It also allows Ricoh to stimulate/hang onto pent-up demand for the K-3 II successor, reduce inventory of K-3 II's at distributors without drastic discounting and reduce the number of ticked off K-3 II buyers when this new body finally comes out. Eventually the business lost by discontinuing the K-3 II now will be recouped and this way the planning manager at the Cebu plant doesn't have to ask Ricoh management to write off surplus inventory of K-3 II parts.
02-11-2018, 04:38 PM   #118
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
that outsourced component will probably be shared between FF and APS-C models well into the future and putting it in a K-1 doesn't require many adaptations
Wonder if it's just the opposite - that future component is already in the K1 replacement, and is being (or has been) adapted to a new APS-C leader?

Only thing known for sure is that March promises to be a fun month.
02-11-2018, 06:15 PM   #119
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
And yet no new APS-c flagship in the system officially?

I'm really annoyed at Pentax at the moment.
Old fella's need delayed gratification like everyone one else. You may not be aware, but Ricoh is helping you keep youthful.
02-11-2018, 06:50 PM   #120
Veteran Member

using new 42mp sensor?