QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
keeping the Mod's busy
Thank you so much

02-12-2018, 02:50 PM   #199
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Just your opinion, but must. you. repeat. it. 75. times? The last two pages of your posting history seem to be nothing but that single song. Maybe you could take a few days to go shooting and then put up a photo in one of the photo sections? I doubt anyone reading these forums is unaware of your unhappiness by now.
Amen!

02-12-2018, 03:48 PM - 2 Likes   #200
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
If we knew, they wouldn't be surprises
What about me? I dont get to be surprised

02-12-2018, 04:03 PM - 1 Like   #201
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote

You already were (or not) when you got the spec sheet.
02-12-2018, 04:26 PM   #202
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am pleased to hear that Pentax may be releasing new full frame primes in 2018. I'm also pleased to hear that their next new camera to be announced will probably be another full frame. I want Pentax to thrive, and personally believe their best chance to gain market share lies with full frame.

The small sensor field is simply too crowded (Fuji X rocks and I don't think Pentax can take market share from them). Micro 4/3rds is owned by Panasonic and don't see Pentax competing there either. Also, with the huge technical and IQ improvements we've seen recently with smart phone cameras, I don't see much of a "long term" future for micro 4/3rds or APS-C. Rather, the long term future for DSLRs and mirrorless is full frame and larger cameras (in order to maintain the separation between big cameras and smart phone cameras)!

The K1 is a terrific camera!!! Most reviewers liked it a lot. If Pentax/Ricoh comes out with a new K1 that tweaks/enhances/improves a handful of features (and of course keep the price down) I believe they'll grow their market share of the full frame business.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 02-12-2018 at 04:32 PM.
02-12-2018, 04:28 PM - 1 Like   #203
Pentaxian

This is for you:
02-12-2018, 04:52 PM - 1 Like   #204
Veteran Member

As a long time Pentax fan owning numerous Pentax digital and film cameras, I am not sure if Ricoh should continue the DSLR, I hope they at least have a mirrorless.

Don't think except long time Pentax users, there is much new comer will look at Pentax cameras.

There are many new, nice glasses from Sigma, etc., that simply don't have anything in K-mount.
A mirrorless Pentax at least allow people who wants those glass to consider Pentax.

645z is nice, but why a Fuji mirrorless 645 get more people excited than 645D, 645Z? the endless possibility with MF glasses.

DSLR will be like Facebook, only old folks still clinging on it.

if Fuji goes FF mirrorless, it will be too late for Pentax.
02-12-2018, 04:55 PM   #205
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
there is 2 and a half weeks of this thread to speculate

keeping the Mod's busy
Yep. Every once in a while I visit a prior post and see “Last edited by {NameOfMOD} on {Date} at {Time} for {Reason}” and I think, “Wait. What?”

.:
02-12-2018, 05:23 PM - 2 Likes   #206
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I personally believe that we will see 3 separate flagship releases within the next 12 months. What do the K-3ii, 645Z and K-1 have in common? The platform! very similar cpu, memory architecture, external port setup. Extrapolate the frame rate and burst from the sensors used in the 3 cameras above and the platform is the common demoninator. This platform is also incapable of handling 4K video at 60hz. So think back a few years, K-3 arrives, nippy little thing, goes toe to toe with best in class for the machine gunners but held back by predictive AF and video but useful enough for someone who knew their arse from elbow where photography was concerned. 645D needed to be replaced by the Z as it was becoming uncompetitive with the latest FF designs, K-3 platform used on the Z. Couple of addons put on K-3ii (Pixel shift and Astrotracer) to placate the faithful while the K-1 rushed through, again same platform, they could have used the same sensor as the D810 but the 'platform' wouldn't have been able to do it justice from bandwidth perspective so just give us the old one we know and love (it's just like the K-5iis one but a teeny bit bigger :P) for a discount and we'll try not to embarrass anyone too much at high ISO's.
Ricoh came in 2011, it would have taken them 12-18 months to figure out exactly what was Pentax, short term, med and long term goals and the next release is the big one. The new platform, hopefully scalable from a cpu and memory lane potential, a new firmware / OS architecture built from the ground up to be more module / services based, Pixel Shift as an option? certainly, how about an optional sports shooter AF? slightly less accurate than our standard one but it will track an object faithfully, only €25 extra. But a platform capable of Scaling up down or across as Pentax have done with the previous one. It should be capable of handling 8K @ 60hz, that would take a K-3 (24Mp) class sensor to 16fps or the K-1 (36Mp) to 8ish FPS in normal trim but also capable of handling the video expectations of the millennials. Build in extra modules / services like tethering, direct social media integration, utilise usb 3.1 gen 2 for real throughput (10Gbs) and it is ready for primetime. Then quick release am updated K-1, steady the APS-C crowd with an uber K-3 and plan for a bigger production run for the 645Z 100Mp.
02-12-2018, 05:40 PM   #207
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
I personally believe that we will see 3 separate flagship releases within the next 12 months. What do the K-3ii, 645Z and K-1 have in common? The platform! very similar cpu, memory architecture, external port setup. Extrapolate the frame rate and burst from the sensors used in the 3 cameras above and the platform is the common demoninator. This platform is also incapable of handling 4K video at 60hz. So think back a few years, K-3 arrives, nippy little thing, goes toe to toe with best in class for the machine gunners but held back by predictive AF and video but useful enough for someone who knew their arse from elbow where photography was concerned. 645D needed to be replaced by the Z as it was becoming uncompetitive with the latest FF designs, K-3 platform used on the Z. Couple of addons put on K-3ii (Pixel shift and Astrotracer) to placate the faithful while the K-1 rushed through, again same platform, they could have used the same sensor as the D810 but the 'platform' wouldn't have been able to do it justice from bandwidth perspective so just give us the old one we know and love (it's just like the K-5iis one but a teeny bit bigger :P) for a discount and we'll try not to embarrass anyone too much at high ISO's.
Ricoh came in 2011, it would have taken them 12-18 months to figure out exactly what was Pentax, short term, med and long term goals and the next release is the big one. The new platform, hopefully scalable from a cpu and memory lane potential, a new firmware / OS architecture built from the ground up to be more module / services based, Pixel Shift as an option? certainly, how about an optional sports shooter AF? slightly less accurate than our standard one but it will track an object faithfully, only €25 extra. But a platform capable of Scaling up down or across as Pentax have done with the previous one. It should be capable of handling 8K @ 60hz, that would take a K-3 (24Mp) class sensor to 16fps or the K-1 (36Mp) to 8ish FPS in normal trim but also capable of handling the video expectations of the millennials. Build in extra modules / services like tethering, direct social media integration, utilise usb 3.1 gen 2 for real throughput (10Gbs) and it is ready for primetime. Then quick release am updated K-1, steady the APS-C crowd with an uber K-3 and plan for a bigger production run for the 645Z 100Mp.
Sign me up!!!
02-12-2018, 05:51 PM - 6 Likes   #208
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
As a long time Pentax fan owning numerous Pentax digital and film cameras, I am not sure if Ricoh should continue the DSLR, I hope they at least have a mirrorless.

Don't think except long time Pentax users, there is much new comer will look at Pentax cameras.

There are many new, nice glasses from Sigma, etc., that simply don't have anything in K-mount.
A mirrorless Pentax at least allow people who wants those glass to consider Pentax.

645z is nice, but why a Fuji mirrorless 645 get more people excited than 645D, 645Z? the endless possibility with MF glasses.

DSLR will be like Facebook, only old folks still clinging on it.

if Fuji goes FF mirrorless, it will be too late for Pentax.
I doubt pretty highly that Fuji is going to release a full frame mirrorless camera. I know that you are a big fan of mirrorless tech, but it is a tough market to enter. Sony has a huge number of mirrorless full frame cameras on the market hitting every price point from 1000 to 4500.

The problems from Ricoh's standpoint that I can think of are that (1) it would require a new mount (if done correctly) which means a whole new lens line up, taking a long time to fill. At a rate of two to three lenses a year, Ricoh would have a mirrorless lens line up done in roughly ten years. (2) It chances driving away Pentaxians who already feel queasy about Ricoh's handling of the K mount and see their lenses as being orphaned -- only able to work with an expensive adapter. (3) The mirrorless market is very tech heavy, with the cameras having high numbers of auto focus points, super fast frame rates and high end video -- none of which is a strength for Pentax. (4) Odds of third party support suddenly coming to the rescue with another me-too short registration mount camera is pretty small. Sigma is as busy as they want to be making EOS and F mount lenses, the same with Tamron and Tokina. The reason they don't make k mount lenses isn't because they can't -- they probably can pretty easily -- it is that Pentax is a tiny fish in a big pond and they aren't going to waste time and resources creating new lenses for the k mount or for that matter whatever mirrorless camera mount Pentax would choose.

As far as Fuji's medium format camera, the buzz before its release was quite a bit, but the camera itself got reviewed pretty harshly as not very functional. I know they are working on more medium format cameras and so those may work better, but just throwing a mirrorless camera out there doesn't immediately sell you cameras -- particularly when mirrorless isn't your strong point (and it isn't for Pentax).
02-12-2018, 07:34 PM - 1 Like   #209
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

what about every time they tell you stuff?

---------- Post added 13-02-18 at 01:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Thank you so much
no worries, anytime
02-12-2018, 07:56 PM   #210
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
I personally believe that
You have some vivid DREAMS!

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Sign me up!!!