Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2018, 02:00 PM   #226
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
hopefully they'll keep with the traditional Pentax size, on the smaller side.
one reason they did the KP I suppose

02-13-2018, 05:01 PM - 1 Like   #227
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-5 was small. The K-3 was small. The K-1 is small for a full frame DSLR. The K-S1 and K-S2 were tiny, as is the KP.

There is no reason to suspect that trend to change with any new release.
02-13-2018, 05:39 PM   #228
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The K-5 was small. The K-3 was small. The K-1 is small for a full frame DSLR. The K-S1 and K-S2 were tiny, as is the KP.

My reference was to lenses. The new 50 coming out looks to be large for a 50. But I understand that seems to be an industry trend.
02-13-2018, 05:50 PM   #229
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote

Reading between the lines of Mistral75’s posts (especially ‘Something SMALL is coming’ playing off my Signature). I think there won’t be any material changes to the body or features. If it is a ‘Super’ there could be only one or two, small improvements, such as UHS-2 card slots or USB-3.0 port (as was shown on some prototype teaser images).

I also thought SMALL might mean GR, but I’m not going there.

I took PentaxIsBoomed!TM out of my Sig.

02-13-2018, 08:30 PM   #230
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mmviii Quote
i see your point. Still, after i was begging for a “limited“ camera for years i went for the k-p with the 20-40 and the 55-300 and i must say: What else does the world of compact, rugged and environmentally protected photography need? It's limited with wr, and very solid performance! I even tried to find a comparable package in mirrorless aps-c land, i dont think it exists.
exactly!
02-13-2018, 10:55 PM   #231
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
Not to be, no matter, life goes on, and there are other roads.
Not to be? Why not?

Seems odd that on the eve of the announcement of new APS-C body with advanced sensor and AF tech all you can moan about is "not to be"? Are you under NDA and cannot tell us what is happening?
02-13-2018, 11:54 PM   #232
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
My reference was to lenses. The new 50 coming out looks to be large for a 50. But I understand that seems to be an industry trend.
I think that's the inevitable result of WR sealing, in-lens AF drive and the optical demands of wall-to-wall sharpness at all apertures, which I guess you could call an industry trend. Who knows, there may even be in-lens stabilisation, too, though I'd be doubtful about that one, particularly at a FL of 50mm.

02-14-2018, 02:23 AM   #233
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Not to be? Why not?

Seems odd that on the eve of the announcement of new APS-C body with advanced sensor and AF tech all you can moan about is "not to be"? Are you under NDA and cannot tell us what is happening?
For once and for all, stóp quoting me to accuse me of moaning. I am nót moaning, I am trying to be realistic.
It looks by all accounts, that the K1 (discontinued), is replaced with the modest upgrade of the K1mkII, and that the K3II (discontinued), is (temporarily at best) replaced with the KP. No doubt the KP will have a successor in due time following the usual upgrade cycle, so probably next year. It will be better and perhaps Pentax will bring it up to flagship level in a sort of fuse of the old K3 line and the new KP concept.
Pentax seems to have limited resources under Ricoh, and must have thought a new entry level (K70) - mid level (KP) - high level (K1), made most economic sense. And for a mid level camera, the KP is a pretty fine camera.
This is my opinion, anyone not liking it: skip my posts or come with some realistic arguing why I am so deadly wrong. If your arguments are valid enough to fully believe that Ricoh will come with a K3mkIII in two weeks time, than my babbling will not mean the least to you.

Chris

Last edited by Chris Mak; 02-14-2018 at 02:31 AM.
02-14-2018, 02:42 AM   #234
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For once and for all, stóp quoting me to accuse me of moaning. I am nót moaning, I am trying to be realistic.
I think perhaps that the accusation was not of moaning but of treating rumours (albeit slightly better informed than than most of us) as facts when only a couple of weeks away from a show where we expect the future to be much more clearly laid out.

The main trouble with the K-3 is actually its age - it was pretty well specced when it came out - the fps, in particular, was very competitive - which, of course, is why it's disappointing that that trajectory stalled a bit and left us with a camera which though still very good for 90% of needs is now lagging where others have pushed forward.
02-14-2018, 02:55 AM   #235
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I think perhaps that the accusation was not of moaning but of treating rumours (albeit slightly better informed than than most of us) as facts when only a couple of weeks away from a show where we expect the future to be much more clearly laid out.

The main trouble with the K-3 is actually its age - it was pretty well specced when it came out - the fps, in particular, was very competitive - which, of course, is why it's disappointing that that trajectory stalled a bit and left us with a camera which though still very good for 90% of needs is now lagging where others have pushed forward.
There is a thin line between "rumors" and "facts" so closely before an event like CP+. The new spec sheet for the K1 is 'only a rumor', still a thread is quickly filling without any disclaimers regarding it only being "a rumor".
If sustained by sound reasoning, and some likely credible behind the scenes info, I do not see any harm in posting my view on where Pentax is taking APS-C. Anyone is fully free to disagree, and maintain a K3mkIII is coming at CP+, which b.t.w. is also a rumor, and a fully unsubstantiated one at that, supported by absolutely nothing but wishful thinking.
As much as I would have wanted a K3mkIII, I do not see it coming. I do see a KP successor coming in due time, and perhaps Adam can put some peppered questioning into his interview with Ricoh/Pentax, asking whether they are going to fit the KP successor, whatever it should be called, with some decent burst rate, buffer depth, dual card slots etc.

Chris
02-14-2018, 03:12 AM   #236
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The new spec sheet for the K1 is 'only a rumor', still a thread is quickly filling without any disclaimers regarding it only being "a rumor".
I hadn't actually read that when I wrote the above, and I have to say that if that is all that Ricoh have to offer, your pessimism is justified - which might mean it isn't (all they have to offer) or it might be another depressing year ahead.
02-14-2018, 03:18 AM   #237
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I hadn't actually read that when I wrote the above, and I have to say that if that is all that Ricoh have to offer, your pessimism is justified - which might mean it isn't (all they have to offer) or it might be another depressing year ahead.
The spec sheet may be a rumor
CP+ is in two weeks, and if all rumors correct, than yes, another slow year ahead for Pentax.

Chris
02-14-2018, 03:33 AM - 2 Likes   #238
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

The spec sheet may be a rumor
CP+ is in two weeks, and if all rumors correct, than yes, another slow year ahead for Pentax.
So long as the K-3II replacement offers the functionality and high ISO image quality advantages of the KP, along with the performance advantages and chunkier form factor of the K-3II, it'll sell just fine. Yes, we all want better AF, some want better video, etc., but the KP has done well enough, and rightly so. It's just missing some of the facilities we expect from a flagship APS-C body. Combine everything into a new flagship product, and there'll be no shortage of people to buy it, IMHO
02-14-2018, 03:39 AM   #239
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

another slow year ahead for Pentax
I doubt if Pentax sees it as slow, some who use Pentax gear complain about slowness, the Pentax mob have brought out and are bringing out quite a few new lenses, updating the k-1, brought out the K-70 and KP working on other aps-c camera, plenty of things to keep them occupied I'm sure.
02-14-2018, 03:48 AM - 4 Likes   #240
Pentaxian

Wait. Help me understand this.
A significant upgrade of the K-1 would've been bad, as they should work hard on the K-3II's replacement. A minor update of the K-1 is also bad, because they didn't work hard enough on it.

And we know everything there is to know about 2018 from a (supposed) spec sheet leak, 2 weeks in advance of CP+.

Did I get it right?