Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2018, 03:49 AM - 1 Like   #241
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
So long as the K-3II replacement offers the functionality and high ISO image quality advantages of the KP, along with the performance advantages and chunkier form factor of the K-3II, it'll sell just fine. Yes, we all want better AF, some want better video, etc., but the KP has done well enough, and rightly so. It's just missing some of the facilities we expect from a flagship APS-C body. Combine everything into a new flagship product, and there'll be no shortage of people to buy it, IMHO
I don't disagree. The KP seems a pretty good offer on a few fronts, like the 5 axis SR, the very good high iso. It may even outperform my K3 AF wise due to improved programming. It currently lacks higher burst, larger buffer, dual card slots and sufficient battery life, although with the dedicated battery grip that takes the K3 battery, which wildlife shooters will use anyhow, this is not much of a concern to me personally.
The big question for next year, if CP+ doesn't miraculously pop up with a K3mkIII out of the blue, is whether Pentax will bring out a KPmkII first (meaning that the burst rate and larger buffer and improved battery life are not likely), or whether they will head straight for the KP2, with upgraded hardware to tackle the KP weaknesses.

Chris

Last edited by Chris Mak; 02-14-2018 at 03:58 AM.
02-14-2018, 03:50 AM - 1 Like   #242
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
There is a thin line between "rumors" and "facts" so closely before an event like CP+. The new spec sheet for the K1 is 'only a rumor', still a thread is quickly filling without any disclaimers regarding it only being "a rumor".
If sustained by sound reasoning, and some likely credible behind the scenes info, I do not see any harm in posting my view on where Pentax is taking APS-C. Anyone is fully free to disagree, and maintain a K3mkIII is coming at CP+, which b.t.w. is also a rumor, and a fully unsubstantiated one at that, supported by absolutely nothing but wishful thinking.
As much as I would have wanted a K3mkIII, I do not see it coming. I do see a KP successor coming in due time, and perhaps Adam can put some peppered questioning into his interview with Ricoh/Pentax, asking whether they are going to fit the KP successor, whatever it should be called, with some decent burst rate, buffer depth, dual card slots etc.

Chris
I understand where you are coming from. Pentax didn't do anything really visible last year except release the KP. The K3 II was a relatively small update to the already old K3 and people have been waiting for a sequel to both those cameras for quite awhile. I am not sure about the timing of a K1 II versus working on getting another APS-C camera out the door. It may be harder to hit performance targets for them with regard to tracking auto focus and add in additional focus points. They may be using an updated engine from the Millbeaut one they've used forever and are figuring that out.

In the end, Pentax is only able to hit one ball at a time. If they are focused on full frame, they don't have resources to get a top end APS-C camera out the door as well. That said, asahiman and kenspo both have indicated that they are going to be working on top end APS-C and that that will be coming "later." They don't have official dates on it and so anything more we say is pure speculation, but it certainly doesn't seem to coming for CP+.

I guess the question each one of us has to deal with is if we can wait for camera releases that aren't on any sort of schedule and seem to be slower in gestation than the competitors. For me, personally, it is easier on my wallet when they are spaced out and my current gear does what I need it to, but I can fully understand that the grass may look greener elsewhere.

I would add that while Nikon looks nice with regard to the gear they have out, I think they are in a bit of tough spot and are reevaluating their position. It is entirely possible that they too will emulate Sony and start bringing out mirrorless cameras with a new mount in an attempt to stabilize revenue and lost market share and if they do that, folks with large portfolios of F mount lenses may start to get nervous.
02-14-2018, 03:50 AM - 4 Likes   #243
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Wait. Help me understand this.
A significant upgrade of the K-1 would've been bad, as they should work hard on the K-3II's replacement. A minor update of the K-1 is also bad, because they didn't work hard enough on it.

And we know everything there is to know about 2018 from a (supposed) spec sheet leak, 2 weeks in advance of CP+.

Did I get it right?
LOL That seems to be the case.

If Pentax gave us a D500 and D850 beater for half the price, we'd be complaining about the colour
02-14-2018, 03:56 AM   #244
Pentaxian

Not the proper shade of black?

02-14-2018, 04:00 AM   #245
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Should've been gunmetal.
02-14-2018, 04:01 AM - 5 Likes   #246
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Not the proper shade of black?
Right.

"Nikon released really black cameras years ago, and Pentax still has that crackle-black finish. If my K-?? was truly black, all my photos would be amazing! That's it, I'm saving up for a Nikon! "
02-14-2018, 04:03 AM   #247
Veteran Member

It looks as if a K3II/KP successor with new-gen tech would be the big seller, so that is what will likely make the biggest difference tp Pentax's fortunes if they can get it into the 2018 reporting year. All the other rumoured or announced new items will help, of course, but I'd say the trick is to avoid another 2017 and to get some growth back into the annual results. Whatever we may think about feature A vs feature B in a particular item, some kind of financial stability must surely be on the mind of those who make the decisions at Ricoh.

All barring some totally unexpected new cam which enters the bestseller lists, of course. It's only mid-February ... and I do wonder what Pentax have been up to since about the middle of 2016. The KP was fully done a year ago already. The K1 refresh is hardly demanding. An MF 645 refresh might not be much more than dropping in a new processor and the current imaging system. The next big K3II/KP moves seem some way off from now. New lenses are taking an unusually long time to emerge. So what's been going on? Either not a huge amount perhaps or a completely new project we don't know about?

Last edited by mecrox; 02-14-2018 at 04:36 AM.
02-14-2018, 04:24 AM   #248
Pentaxian

Hm, asahi man said that APS-C line is the least priority for Ricoh now, so I don't expect the camera in the teaser to belong to one.
K-1 II seems to be not much of an upgrade, so all this teasing with mysterious camera would be laughable if it were K-1 II.

Maybe it's the new medium format?

Looking forward to CP+.
02-14-2018, 04:29 AM   #249
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
so all this teasing with mysterious camera would be laughable if it were K-1 II
but it's not - the mirror box is K3 shape, not K-1 shape, and some features belong to neither. It would have to be a radical overhaul of the 645Z to look like that.
02-14-2018, 09:16 AM - 2 Likes   #250
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
For once and for all, stóp quoting me to accuse me of moaning. I am nót moaning, I am trying to be realistic.
Ok, I can understand realistic. In which case the realistic statement would be "no one knows anything, yet". So why do you insist on claiming totally unsubstantiated rumors are facts? Honestly, what difference does it make? You have peppered this forum and the other one with constant comments that appear to be complaints that Ricoh has abandoned you, APS-C flagships and ASP-C in general. Whether you intended it or not that comes across as "moaning".

You might be right and there is no K-3II replacement. I disagree and eventually we will both know the truth. One issue is the time frame in which either of us NEEDS a new APS-C camera. For me that is 2 to 4 years as my K-3II is more than good enough for me right now. Should it get stolen tomorrow I might get a used K-3II to replace it or maybe a KP, or maybe nothing. The K-1 is my main camera. Your situation seems to be different and if you NEED a K-3II replacement now or within the next 9 months I believe you will be disappointed and are better off looking at a brand that serves your needs better. I also firmly believe that if you can wait 9 to 12 months Ricoh will deliver an excellent K-3II replacement.
02-14-2018, 10:58 AM - 2 Likes   #251
Pentaxian

I must admit that the rumours as posted on here regarding the likely upgrade to the K1, the apparently limited resources available to develop new cameras, apparently relatively restricted manufacturing facilities, combined with the official discontinuance of the K3ii and the apparent desire to shift stocks of the latter in particular, all suggests to me a modest upgrade to the K1, but a significant one to the K3ii. The desire to shift K3ii stocks also suggests that the new camera is not too far in the future. If that weren't the case, why reduce the price or give freebies.

Time will tell, and I don't think we will have to wait much longer to find out. All this speculation is publicity - and all publicity is good, isn't it, and it's free.

All just my personal opinion.
02-14-2018, 11:15 AM   #252
OTH

There's something in the pipeline. CP+ isn't the only big fare and photokina is in September. A MF with a 100MP is rumored for longer now and we will see if there's some news at cp+ and a facelift to the K-3 II isn't a big deal.
02-14-2018, 11:25 AM   #253
Veteran Member

If the spec sheet is true then the resources utilised for the upgrade are pretty insignificant. I would suspect that pentax could be working on a 645 with the 100mp BSI sensor that has just been released, while waiting for the new sony bsi chip for APS-C that presumable will be made from the same wafer as the scheduled 150mp chip being released this year.
02-18-2018, 11:36 AM   #254
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
LOL That seems to be the case.

If Pentax gave us a D500 and D850 beater for half the price, we'd be complaining about the colour
Ricoh never offer such camera.
02-18-2018, 12:04 PM - 2 Likes   #255
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Ricoh never offer such camera.
I agree, and nor should it. What it should do - and seems to be doing - is to keep improving within the niche it already occupies. There's no sense chasing after every other brand's features and performance... not with the limited resources it has available. Far better to take what it already does well, and keep improving