Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 232 Likes Search this Thread
02-19-2018, 11:22 AM   #271
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Chris, you're writing about my wishful thinking while doing a campaign - on two forums - trying to convince people of your preconceived idea. That's not cool.
It's not a campaign. But every time I even casually remark that for me, the illustre APS-C flagship above the KP is not a reality, but as yet, only a wish (which it actually is), I get quoted and put to charge for even assuming that the KP is what we have to live with this year at least, since there's a K1mkII coming and rumored, instead of a K3mkIII.....

QuoteQuote:
I believe they'll eventually make a new APS-C flagship, because:
- they told us so
- the KP doesn't include several of the K-3's flagship features, and there's no reason why they would make a permanent step back
- I don't believe they're making the DA* 11-18mm for the KP
- Kenspo told us so
If that's too weak for you but your vague idea about the KP being a K-1 APS-C equivalent is good...

There is definitely room for an upper level FF DSLR, however I don't see it happening right now. Later? I don't know; stuff must happen.
Well, we actually think more alike than you realize, an upper level APS-C has the same fate as an upper level FF: it will happen, later. So let's stop the campaign for such cameras that will happen.....later, shall we and live with the cameras that are here and true, or that are substantially rumored, like the K1mkII?
QuoteQuote:

Proof by analogy is fraud by the way, an upper level FF DSLR and an APS-C flagship are different things.

---------- Post added 19-02-18 at 08:07 PM ----------

I'm not sure we'll be able to settle this APS-C flagship issue in a few days. We might have a full year ahead, of Chris Mak telling us how it won't ever come

02-19-2018, 11:25 AM   #272
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They are working on the next K3 upgrade. When it's done it will be sold on-line and in some stores. I'm not sure what else needs to be said or why.

Do we want them to release something before it's ready?

Then take your K-3 which is a pretty good camera, and go shoot.
02-19-2018, 11:27 AM   #273
ogl
Banned

I don't see any reason not to produce the upgrade of K-3II....It will be 100%. I think this year. We have only one question - when? Summer or Autumn?
02-19-2018, 11:36 AM   #274
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Chris if wildlife is your primary focus you should just make the move. Pentax is not going to be a good fit for wildlife shooters for a long time, if ever.
Not at all, and that is why I am still here: the DA560+HD DA1.4TC fit 80% of my needs, all it takes is a body with secure and accurate focus acquisition, where my K3 fell short. I hope the KP will do that, thanks to new algorithms and a hopefully improved processor, next to giving me better iso 1600-3200 performance, and the 5 axis SR. For the other 20% (BIF) that this Pentax combo cannot fullfill, a Nikon D500+Nikon 200-500mm would do, but it would not match the IQ, clarity and pixiedust of the Pentax combo i.m.o.
If the KP does no better than my K3 at focus acquisition and accuracy, than I see no other way to switch to Nikon and a more expensive 500mm prime.
Hope you understand where I am coming from, and why I had to break the spell, and get real and buy a KP.

QuoteQuote:

I disagree, and if we are just speaking of 'likely' then I think it is much more 'likely' that Pentax continue the k-7->k-5->k-3 line as the flagship than consider the KP as their top of the line APS-C. KP is a nice camera but to replace the K-3II it needs better frame rate, bigger battery, two card slots, top LCD, GPS.

But the good news is we will know in just a few days.

Last edited by Chris Mak; 02-19-2018 at 11:45 AM.
02-19-2018, 12:16 PM - 1 Like   #275
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
Not at all, and that is why I am still here: the DA560+HD DA1.4TC fit 80% of my needs, all it takes is a body with secure and accurate focus acquisition, where my K3 fell short. I hope the KP will do that, thanks to new algorithms and a hopefully improved processor, next to giving me better iso 1600-3200 performance, and the 5 axis SR. For the other 20% (BIF) that this Pentax combo cannot fullfill, a Nikon D500+Nikon 200-500mm would do, but it would not match the IQ, clarity and pixiedust of the Pentax combo i.m.o.
If the KP does no better than my K3 at focus acquisition and accuracy, than I see no other way to switch to Nikon and a more expensive 500mm prime.
Hope you understand where I am coming from, and why I had to break the spell, and get real and buy a KP.

Chris, if BIF is your thing, buy your $10,300 Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/4E FL ED VR Lens and a $2000 Nikon D500. No new Pentax flagship APS-C body and existing Pentax lens will be able to come close to that Nikon system.

There apparently are two types of posters here...

1. Those who want new Pentax gear to be at least as capable as the best of the competition (e.g. Chris Mak). This is playing the "me too" game.
2. Those who would like to see Pentax break new ground with their new gear that moves the bar higher for all camera makers (e.g. me). This is the "get out front and be a pioneer" game.

The K1 moved the bar for all full frame and APS-C camera manufacturers with Pixel Shift. Now the others appear to be playing catch up to Pentax on Pixel shift (notice that Sony just came out with their first Pixel Shift camera?). Pixel Shift in the K3ii and K1 was a good first step, but this first generation of Pixel Shift has not yet realized its' full potential. It's my hope that Pixel Shift be improved in both the K1ii and the new flagship APS-C body to again give Pentax something that is leading all of their competitors.

Fully evolved Pixel Shift technology has the potential to widen the IQ gap between DSLRs/Mirrorless and smartphone cameras. I'm for any camera body improvements that do that, and would love to see Pentax make further improvements in Pixel Shift. Pixel Shift has mind blowing potential, but has not yet realized its' full potential.

Maybe Pentax can't be the leader in "everything", but maybe we can continue to be the leader in "some things".

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 02-19-2018 at 12:51 PM.
02-19-2018, 12:27 PM   #276
Pentaxian

It's not a campaign. But every time I even casually remark that for me, the illustre APS-C flagship above the KP is not a reality, but as yet, only a wish (which it actually is), I get quoted and put to charge for even assuming that the KP is what we have to live with this year at least, since there's a K1mkII coming and rumored, instead of a K3mkIII.....
Yet Kenspo says they're working on it... which makes it more than a wish.
By the way, while it might not be ready this year, it's too early to know - even for those with low-level inside info. IMO. I don't get this hurry in "deciding" that we "know" the plan for the entire upcoming fiscal year, before CP+.

Well, we actually think more alike than you realize, an upper level APS-C has the same fate as an upper level FF: it will happen, later. So let's stop the campaign for such cameras that will happen.....later, shall we and live with the cameras that are here and true, or that are substantially rumored, like the K1mkII?
Except for disagreeing, we agree - or something like that. I repeat: they're not the same.
02-19-2018, 12:35 PM   #277
Pentaxian

(...) I think it is much more 'likely' that Pentax continue the k-7->k-5->k-3 line as the flagship than consider the KP as their top of the line APS-C. KP is a nice camera but to replace the K-3II it needs better frame rate, bigger battery, two card slots, top LCD, GPS.

But the good news is we will know in just a few days.
Will we?

02-19-2018, 12:42 PM - 1 Like   #278
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
The K1 moved the bar for all camera manufacturers with Pixel Shift.
Yes - I think that Ricoh have been really smart in the creative ways in which they have used the IBIS floating sensor - from dust removal to auto-levelling to re-composing images to astrotracer to pixel-shift - and you can't do most of that without IBIS, which Canon and Nikon haven't had. There are a few minor drawbacks, but that attitude of spotting and advantage that they could evolve into all sorts of unusual or unique features has been , as I say, really smart.
02-19-2018, 03:28 PM   #279
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Chris, if BIF is your thing, buy your $10,300 Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/4E FL ED VR Lens and a $2000 Nikon D500. No new Pentax flagship APS-C body and existing Pentax lens will be able to come close to that Nikon system.
Who wants a D500 and a nikkor 500mm?
Not me.
Perhaps a D500 and a 6500,- sigma 500/4 sports in future, in a few years, if I were able to sell the DA560 at a decent price.
More realistically I would use my DA560+Pentax KP next to a D500/D7500 with Nikkor 200-500mm for BIF, and even that will take a while.
For me at least it is not normal to spend 13,000 on a new BIF kit....

I never expected a D500 like Pentax crop camera, perhaps others did, but not me.

Chris
02-19-2018, 04:13 PM   #280
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No I don't actually. Based on what I have read of your posts I think I understand what you are looking for. Yet, just three days before Pentax makes a big new camera announcement you buy a KP. I understand people who are firm in their convictions and obviously you firmly believe there will not be a new APS-C camera announced. What I don't understand is why you would not wait three days to be sure. Oh, well. Good luck with the KP.

---------- Post added 02-19-18 at 03:19 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Will we?
Sure.
02-19-2018, 04:21 PM   #281
Pentaxian

(...)

Sure.
I wouldn't bet on it if I were you .
02-19-2018, 04:27 PM - 1 Like   #282
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
I wouldn't bet on it if I were you .
I don't bet.
But what I was saying in that post is that (assuming Ricoh makes an announcement) that we will know if an APS-C camera is announced. If no, then Chris made a good decision in going for the KP. If yes, then Chris will need to see if the new announcement suits his purpose better than the KP.

I'm ambivalent, my K-1 and K-3II are good for another 3 years minimum. But I would like to see where Pentax is going.
02-21-2018, 02:11 PM   #283

I guess it would simply be nice to clear up any uncertainty/confusion.
The thing is, people were actually expecting a D500 like Pentax APS-C flagship, and this was more or less supported by the view that the KP was nót a flagship camera, but "only" a middle class camera.
I guess that for a while I myself even expected a D500 level (or near) camera.
I don't like the vagueness that surrounded the KP launch, if Pentax/Ricoh want to experiment, fine, but let them at least be clear about it. Otherwise false expectations arise, and b.t.w.: they shoot themselves in the foot because the KP was never accepted partly due to its vague launch.
Asahiman recently said that Pentax is working on a APS-C camera higher than the KP, but "not a D500 level camera. More a better KP".
So the next crop camera will be better than the KP, but not a high end D500 level camera. How much better than the KP? Who knows?
Ricoh/Pentax are the only ones that know.

---------- Post added 02-19-18 at 05:11 PM ----------

I sure will! But remember asahiman:"not a D500 level camera. More a better KP." And don't rule out the possibility that it will be a KPmkII!
I don't understand where this expectation of a D500 level Pentax "flagship" camera comes from. since the K-7, Pentax "flagship" cameras have been pretty squarely aimed at competing with Nikon's D7xxx series cameras, thought with better ergonomics & build quality. If they eventually come out with a K-3 II replacement that somewhat betters the D7500 that would be what I would want to upgrade to.
02-21-2018, 02:13 PM - 1 Like   #284
Pentaxian

True but if they expect D500 then can moan way more easily.
02-21-2018, 03:19 PM   #285
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm expecting to win the lottery this week. Standby for moaning next week............... <sarc>