Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2018, 03:52 AM   #151
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 17,339
No sense melting down over this. It is a win for existing K-1 owners, as it is easier for us to convince ourselves that the K1 II isn't a camera we need as it is just a minor upgrade over the K-1. What we have needed (and need to save for) are new lenses and it seems as though some of those will trickle out this year.

As for Pentax committing suicide, that's a bit rough. The K-1 II is only a small upgrade, it is true, but I still imagine it will continue to sell decently and as the R and D for it is mostly paid for, any boost in sales will only help the bottom line.

In the end, the question is what the quality of the photos is and my guess is that it will be better -- at least in certain situations. I don't shoot high iso a whole lot, but if you do, having an extra stop or two of high iso performance could sway you to move up, particularly as if you sold your K-1 it would only be a few hundred dollars.

02-15-2018, 04:12 AM - 3 Likes   #152
Pentaxian
mecrox's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oxford, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,236
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
No sense melting down over this. It is a win for existing K-1 owners, as it is easier for us to convince ourselves that the K1 II isn't a camera we need as it is just a minor upgrade over the K-1. What we have needed (and need to save for) are new lenses and it seems as though some of those will trickle out this year.

As for Pentax committing suicide, that's a bit rough. The K-1 II is only a small upgrade, it is true, but I still imagine it will continue to sell decently and as the R and D for it is mostly paid for, any boost in sales will only help the bottom line.

In the end, the question is what the quality of the photos is and my guess is that it will be better -- at least in certain situations. I don't shoot high iso a whole lot, but if you do, having an extra stop or two of high iso performance could sway you to move up, particularly as if you sold your K-1 it would only be a few hundred dollars.
Spec sheets don't tell the whole story, I think. On paper this looks a very dull update. However, it's perfectly possible that a combination of a new sensor, an accelerator chip, improved software and tweaks here and there will turn out to produce a tighter, more responsive camera with IQ which is definitely a tad better, especially as the ISO climbs. Not enough to upgrade to from a K1, perhaps, but clearly something of a Mark II version. We'll see.

The real big seller which Pentax would benefit from would be a serious step-up on APS-C. That and not this new FF number will put some better news into their annual results, imho.
02-15-2018, 04:19 AM   #153
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 17,339
QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Spec sheets don't tell the whole story, I think. On paper this looks a very dull update. However, it's perfectly possible that a combination of a new sensor, an accelerator chip, improved software and tweaks here and there will turn out to produce a tighter, more responsive camera with IQ which is definitely a tad better, especially as the ISO climbs. Not enough to upgrade to from a K1, perhaps, but clearly something of a Mark II version. We'll see.

The real big seller which Pentax would benefit from would be a serious step-up on APS-C. That and not this new FF number will put some better news into their annual results, imho.
But this definitely does not preclude an updated higher end APS-C camera. In fact, it makes it more likely this year as I can't imagine a huge amount of resources being put towards this minor upgrade.

A serious APS-C upgrade will take a lot of work and work in areas that Pentax hasn't traditionally been great at (auto focus, video).
02-15-2018, 04:22 AM - 1 Like   #154
Pentaxian
FantasticMrFox's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Scotland
Posts: 2,202
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
But this definitely does not preclude an updated higher end APS-C camera. In fact, it makes it more likely this year as I can't imagine a huge amount of resources being put towards this minor upgrade.

A serious APS-C upgrade will take a lot of work and work in areas that Pentax hasn't traditionally been great at (auto focus, video).
But AF is a transferrable technology. If they have something ready for the K3 successor, why withhold it from the K-1 II?

02-15-2018, 04:25 AM   #155
Pentaxian
FantasticMrFox's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Scotland
Posts: 2,202
QuoteOriginally posted by LightBug Quote
When I say fast I meant fast focusing. None of your lenses in Pentax mount have fast focusing motor
designed for action. If you want fast focusing, you also need to invest in lenses with fast focusing motors.
PF put the new 55-300 PLM on the K3 II and it focused extremely quickly, but, big surprise, it did nothing to improve the bad AF.C performance.
02-15-2018, 04:25 AM   #156
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 17,339
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
But AF is a transferrable technology. If they have something ready for the K3 successor, why withhold it from the K-1 II?
Clearly the K3 successor is a ways away. Maybe six months away. Most tech/software for it is in beta stage at this point. In addition, if they are using a new imaging processor for the next APS-C camera (I think they'll have to) then it may not be easily transferable either.
02-15-2018, 04:49 AM   #157
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: mid nth coast,nsw
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,819
QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
it's perfectly possible that a combination of a new sensor
Is it a new sensor?

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
The real big seller which Pentax would benefit from would be a serious step-up on APS-C. That and not this new FF
Yes,i agree...however this tweak will take an excellent camera up to the SUPREB level...for what its suited to,ofcourse.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
No sense melting down over this. It is a win for existing K-1 owners
Cant we just have a minor meltdown?...i'm a little annoyed that the accelerator chip wasnt in the K-1 originally,i wouldnt have a problem paying the extra $200 back then...but NOW,its a major loss to get into the proper K-1!
02-15-2018, 04:53 AM   #158
Pentaxian
mecrox's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oxford, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,236
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Is it a new sensor?
I've no idea but it has been suggested it might be a new dual gain one from Sony - I've no real idea what that means beyond "better" at some things. Saying the sensor is 36 mpx doesn't tell us whether it is an older model or a newer model. Both are 36 mpx but one has improvements. That's the problem with spec sheets.

02-15-2018, 05:04 AM   #159
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: mid nth coast,nsw
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,819
QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
I've no idea
Me either, so i thought you may have read it was...anyway,it wont be too long till alls clear.
02-15-2018, 05:54 AM - 2 Likes   #160
JPT
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tokyo
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,356
Yaotomi Camera asked Pentax in Japan about future K-1 firmware support and got a positive response. It doesn't mean that the K-1 is necessarily get new features of the K-1 II, but it certainly sounds like a positive response for anyone already invested.

------------

In light of recent rumors, I asked people of PENTAX!

"What will happen with PENTAX K-1's firmware if a new product comes out?"

Pentax insider: “The basis of the K-1 is that it can be used for a long time, we will continue as far as possible"
02-15-2018, 07:20 AM   #161
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Seattle
Posts: 230
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I really like my A7 MkII, but it shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as the K-1.

For a start, it's a completely different camera, offering a very different shooting experience. Great for some, not great for others. It works well for my use-cases, but then, I'm very flexible regarding the whole DSLR vs mirrorless thing, and I'm happy to use both optical and electronic viewfinders. I also recognise the limitations in both, depending on the application.

As for the sensor, 24MP on the A7II is fine for me. However... taking pixel density and the use of an anti-aliasing filter into account, it provides the same kind of resolving capability as a 16MP APS-C Pentax K-5 (which I also own, so I can offer an informed opinion). It's nowhere near comparable to the K-1's 36MP sensor with no AA filter.

Regarding AF comparisons... I believe @LightBug was referring to fast-focusing (rather than fast aperture) lenses. The Pentax 16-50 (which I've tried) and 60-250 (which I own) are both great lenses, but neither is fast-focusing as a result of the SDM AF motor. Compared to a good screw-drive lens (or better still, the newer 55-300 PLM and future PLM-driven lenses), they're somewhat leisurely. Not, therefore, a good basis for comparing AF speed.

I think Pentax is going in the right direction with the K-1 and K-1II (even if the K-1II is a minor update). AF continues to be the biggest area for improvement, and I hope we'll see some serious development of that in future cameras.

Incidentally, I shoot the K-3 and K-3II and I've never found the AF system to be embarrassing... it takes a little practice, but it works well. For AF.C, it's not quite as good as some of the DSLR competition, but I can live with that. For those that can't, switch systems. It's pretty simple, really
Interesting insight. Thank you for sharing your experience.
I do own the new 55-300 lens as well, and still not as fast as equivalent version on my fuji xt2. This is just the fact. Fuji has a lot bettee AF system compared to K3ii. Even the slow 55-200 did better on fuji than my fast 55-300 on k3ii.

And frankly, I disagree that pentax is going to the right direction. I kept telling myself the same thing and that's why I invested over 20k in Pentax equipment, but No it doesn't. Pentax has been late in the game. Yes, I am not a videographer but I do record videos often.. Come on no 4K again. Even cellphone these days makes better videos.
No UHS tupe 2?
As far as a7R II, I was never convinced to pull the trigger because of all the little shortcomings, I suggest you rent the A7R III. It's in a different ball game. Such a joy to shoot with.
Happy shooting

---------- Post added 02-15-18 at 08:21 AM ----------

Pentax K-1 Mark II Price and Full Specification Leaked | NEW CAMERA
02-15-2018, 07:43 AM   #162
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 895
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax_WA Quote
Interesting insight. Thank you for sharing your experience.
I do own the new 55-300 lens as well, and still not as fast as equivalent version on my fuji xt2. This is just the fact. Fuji has a lot bettee AF system compared to K3ii. Even the slow 55-200 did better on fuji than my fast 55-300 on k3ii.

And frankly, I disagree that pentax is going to the right direction. I kept telling myself the same thing and that's why I invested over 20k in Pentax equipment, but No it doesn't. Pentax has been late in the game. Yes, I am not a videographer but I do record videos often.. Come on no 4K again. Even cellphone these days makes better videos.
No UHS tupe 2?
As far as a7R II, I was never convinced to pull the trigger because of all the little shortcomings, I suggest you rent the A7R III. It's in a different ball game. Such a joy to shoot with.
Happy shooting

---------- Post added 02-15-18 at 08:21 AM ----------

Pentax K-1 Mark II Price and Full Specification Leaked | NEW CAMERA
Do not compare with A7Rii or A7Riii. I think that K1 Mark II apparently targets low-end FF market. The leaked specifications sound to be high-end if released 5 years ago and still not bad 2 years ago. It will be fairly priced I believe.
02-15-2018, 07:59 AM - 1 Like   #163
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 771
One thing to keep in mind is that these specs are "rumor' specs. We don't really know yet officially what is coming. Those specs on PentaxRumors look like a bad copy and paste job to me.
02-15-2018, 08:05 AM   #164
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Seattle
Posts: 230
QuoteOriginally posted by starjedi Quote
Do not compare with A7Rii or A7Riii. I think that K1 Mark II apparently targets low-end FF market. The leaked specifications sound to be high-end if released 5 years ago and still not bad 2 years ago. It will be fairly priced I believe.
True but sad. Why Pentax should be 5 yesr behind the game.
Sony is about to release this which is supposed to be the baby A9 and I predict the price will be very close to K1 or K1 mark II.
https://www.digitalrev.com/article/sony-a7-iii-rumours-on-the-rise
02-15-2018, 08:09 AM - 1 Like   #165
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,115
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax_WA Quote
True but sad. Why Pentax should be 5 yesr behind the game.
Sony is about to release this which is supposed to be the baby A9 and I predict the price will be very close to K1 or K1 mark II.
https://www.digitalrev.com/article/sony-a7-iii-rumours-on-the-rise
Only 24 Mp? No thanks.

Closed Thread

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
36mp, accelerator, camera, chip, conversion, dslr, ii, ii dslr camera, increase, iso, iso performance, k-1, k-70, k1, kp, mark, noise, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, people, performance, pm, post, sales, sensor, sony, specifications
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ricoh Theta SC camera specifications leaked online(No 4K) OoKU Pentax News and Rumors 20 10-23-2016 11:45 AM
Pentax K-70 Specifications Leaked PF Staff Homepage & Official Pentax News 0 06-07-2016 03:31 AM
Pentax K3 ii vs Canon 5D mark ii mogge Welcomes and Introductions 49 03-27-2016 02:39 AM
Pentax KS-1 Specifications Leaked Adam Homepage & Official Pentax News 0 08-21-2014 11:16 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:01 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top