Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2018, 03:54 AM   #376
Pentaxian
Andrea K's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rome, Italy
Posts: 462
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Like 60 hours and 10 minutes soon.
Is there a countdown somewhere?

02-19-2018, 03:58 AM   #377
Veteran Member
eurostar's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Albareto, Italy
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 819
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Actually the Pentax trademark belongs to Hoya, including for photographic equipment (class 9 of the Nice classification). See the Global Brand Database of the World Intellectual Property Organization for further details:

WIPOGlobal Brand Database

There must be some licence agreement between Hoya and Ricoh allowing Ricoh to use the Pentax trademark for a certain period of time.
How must be read the page? If I put the Pentax name, I see 300 entries for the Pentax brand, most with Hoya as the older, but also Ricoh, and many other firms, including one Russian, even two Italians.
02-19-2018, 04:20 AM   #378
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2013
Photos: Albums
Posts: 593
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
We have all answers very soon!
Kenspo,
Will we also have APS-C answers soon? I mean, answers, not "being researched" type info?
It does not matter to me anymore, because I went and bought a KP, but there's been spreading just t much confusion on what the place of the KP actually really is (I believe it to be the K3II successor), certainly now that a new APS-C camera is nowhere in sight.
It would be nice, if Pentax/Ricoh could offer some clarity on this, not for me so much, but I know there are others waiting, for whom the KP is not high end enough.

Perhaps you could let them know the confusion, and get them to offer some tangible anwers in their coming statements on the direction of APS-C.

Chris
02-19-2018, 04:23 AM   #379
Pentaxian
Mistral75's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 4,874
QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
How must be read the page? If I put the Pentax name, I see 300 entries for the Pentax brand, most with Hoya as the older, but also Ricoh, and many other firms, including one Russian, even two Italians.
You can use some filters:

- Status = Active or Pending
- Nice Cl. (class) = 9

The number of entries should go down to 106.

'Source' corresponds to the country in which the trademark is protected: AU = Australia, BH = Bahrain, CA = Canada, CH = Switzerland, CL = Chile, DE = Germany, DK = Danemark, EE = Estonia, EM = EUIPO = Europe and so on.

'Pentax' belongs to Hoya and, oddly enough, 'smc Pentax' belongs to Ricoh Imaging. So does 'PAIR Pentax Atmospheric Interference Reduction' (restricted to CCTV cameras and lenses).

02-19-2018, 04:27 AM - 9 Likes   #380
Pentaxian
kenspo's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Oslo
Posts: 2,192
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
Kenspo,
Will we also have APS-C answers soon? I mean, answers, not "being researched" type info?
They are way over "being researched" I know a high end APS-C will come, I just can't tell exactly when
02-19-2018, 04:39 AM - 5 Likes   #381
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North-East of England
Posts: 13,502
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
They are way over "being researched" I know a high end APS-C will come, I just can't tell exactly when
And that, my forum friends, is all we need to know about the APS-C model until it's announced...

Thank you, kenspo
02-19-2018, 06:22 AM - 1 Like   #382
Pentaxian
Belnan's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Nova Scotia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 690
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
They are way over "being researched" I know a high end APS-C will come, I just can't tell exactly when
This reminds me of an old Canadian commercial promoting physical activity. The main jingle had a catchy line that applies." Don't just think about it. Do it. Do it. Do it."
02-19-2018, 08:29 AM   #383
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Washington Cascades
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,894
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax_WA Quote
I guess you must have misread my comment. If you look at my signature line, it should give you a pretty good idea of how much I have invested in Pentax over the past 15 years.
Sorry, no I did not misread but I did misstype. I meant the generic 'people' not you specifically. There has been much discussion of the availability of cheap vintage glass being a plus for Pentax, which might be true but puts nothing in Ricoh's pocket. The only way we see new development is if Ricoh sees sales. Anyway, my apologies I was trying to multitask and failed.

02-19-2018, 09:29 AM   #384
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter
TedH42's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Colorado
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,245
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
And that, my forum friends, is all we need to know about the APS-C model until it's announced...

Thank you, kenspo
So now that we know this, it's time to close this miserable "The New APS-C Flagship" thread.

Oh wait, this thread is about the K-1 Mk II. Isn't it? I just can't tell these threads apart.

(Indeed, thank you, kenspo.)
02-19-2018, 09:32 AM   #385
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Washington Cascades
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,894
Yeah, multiple threads about the same thing and two camera rumors at the same time and some threads getting closed.......... I am so confused I might have to go outside and take pictures.

I am also confused that there was not a rumor thread about the new 645 body. We should have had that mixed into the mess as well.
02-19-2018, 09:33 AM   #386
Pentaxian
photoptimist's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2016
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,660
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
OK, folks... hands up, those that thought the FWC was determined by the photodiode? C'mon now, be honest... Those who thought photodiode, raise your hands... No?... Anyone?

I don't know, Ian... seems like you and... er... me are the only ones that really understand this, but nobody wants to admit it...

My hand is up but perhaps a visit to the headmaster might change things.

From what I just read in chapter 3 of this dissertation (download from Fundamental Characteristics of a Pinned Photodiode CMOS Pixels | TU Delft Repositories), it looks like FWC is a function of the photodiode because that determines both the capacitance of the system (the area of the photocharge storage zone is the area of the pixel) and the voltage (the pinning voltage for the emplanted photodiode). The source follower part of the circuit (which is really small and would have negligible capacitance) does not store the photocharge so much as regulate transfer or measurement of it.

But now I must admit to being a mechanical engineer who does not understand how electrons can go through solid metal. I know that total charge equals capacitance multiplied by voltage and it looks like both those terms are determined by the photodiode design. But I'm willing to learn otherwise.
02-19-2018, 10:12 AM - 2 Likes   #387
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Washington Cascades
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,894
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
mechanical engineer who does not understand how electrons can go through solid metal
Just remember that all electrical devices operate on magic smoke. Take care not to let the smoke out and everything will be fine.
02-19-2018, 10:28 AM   #388
Pentaxian
photoptimist's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2016
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,660
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Just remember that all electrical devices operate on magic smoke. Take care not to let the smoke out and everything will be fine.
LOL! So true! And beware the NED (noise-emitting diode).
02-19-2018, 10:33 AM   #389
Moderator
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,727
ONE


OK, time to do what John is going to do.


QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
.......... I am so confused I might have to go outside and take pictures.



The last half dozen pages have had little, if any discussion of the rumored specifications of the new K-1. And for the most part most of you have been nice, but it is clear the discussion is off the rails.







Time to move on.





02-19-2018, 10:34 AM - 1 Like   #390
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,658
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
My hand is up but perhaps a visit to the headmaster might change things.

From what I just read in chapter 3 of this dissertation (download from Fundamental Characteristics of a Pinned Photodiode CMOS Pixels | TU Delft Repositories), it looks like FWC is a function of the photodiode because that determines both the capacitance of the system (the area of the photocharge storage zone is the area of the pixel) and the voltage (the pinning voltage for the emplanted photodiode). The source follower part of the circuit (which is really small and would have negligible capacitance) does not store the photocharge so much as regulate transfer or measurement of it.

But now I must admit to being a mechanical engineer who does not understand how electrons can go through solid metal. I know that total charge equals capacitance multiplied by voltage and it looks like both those terms are determined by the photodiode design. But I'm willing to learn otherwise.
This is why I have decided that I have no interest on how modern sensors work. I do understand how film works and have even made my own from scratch in a photo chemistry course (won a case of beer for making the best film. ISO near 100) and that is where I am leaving it off. For me, the Gurney-Mott Theory of Latent Image Formation is as far as I will ever go.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
36mp, accelerator, camera, chip, conversion, dslr, ii, ii dslr camera, increase, iso, iso performance, k-1, k-70, k1, kp, mark, noise, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, people, performance, pm, post, sales, sensor, sony, specifications
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ricoh Theta SC camera specifications leaked online(No 4K) OoKU Pentax News and Rumors 20 10-23-2016 11:45 AM
Pentax K-70 Specifications Leaked PF Staff Homepage & Official Pentax News 0 06-07-2016 03:31 AM
Pentax K3 ii vs Canon 5D mark ii mogge Welcomes and Introductions 49 03-27-2016 02:39 AM
Pentax KS-1 Specifications Leaked Adam Homepage & Official Pentax News 0 08-21-2014 11:16 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:46 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top