Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 306 Likes Search this Thread
02-14-2018, 03:15 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Great update for pixel peepers. The teaser shown is not a K-1 II.

02-14-2018, 03:17 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Great update for pixel peepers. The teaser shown is not a K-1 II.
Yes - I was just returning to make that very point

---------- Post added 14-02-18 at 03:18 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
might piss a lot of people off.
I'm so glad that's officially approved PF language
02-14-2018, 03:26 AM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

Don't get me wrong, those are very welcome improvements. I love my K-1 the way it already is because it's perfect for what I do and MK II will be an even nicer camera. But this is rather a MK 1.5 than a MK II. My critique only comes from a business point of view.

There is a lot missing from MK II to attract new users and increase market share. I guess only very few will replace their K-1 with the MK II and it will not attract more new users than the K-1 did. A new autofocus system would cost much time and money in terms of r&d but there are a few things that would be small but welcome improvements like USB 3, UHS-II card slots and 1080/60p with better codec just to bring the camera up to 2018 standards.
02-14-2018, 03:47 AM   #34
Pentaxian

It is a classic Pentax mk II update with only small changes. They are building upon what are already strong points. Leaving the weak point not worked upon. The electronics are still 2012-2013. I hope they are able to show something else on CP+ than this update, and that maybe some improvements can be added to the K-1 by firmware.

02-14-2018, 03:54 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
What don't understand is why the camera, if these specs are real, is worth holding up progress on the older K-3ii for, f that is what has happened. The only upgrades seem to be in areas where the camera was already strong, so the effect will be minor, and all complaints people have (regarding AF, video, shutter shock, fps usb-2 etc) have not been addressed as far as I can see. As I say, it might be worth doing in its own right, but not if it means holding up other more urgent projects.
But, is it really holding up progress on the K-3 II's successor?
If it's a K-1 with the Accelerator Unit, maybe that's something they planned all along but couldn't get ready in time? It first appeared with the K-70, just a few months after the K-1 was announced.
02-14-2018, 04:04 AM   #36
Veteran Member

If the three custom settings on the forth dial from the KP does not come to the K-1ii, then it can be a deal breaker for me. Anyway my plans are getting a new computer with spectre and meltdown immune processor first for the processing, and then get a pentax K-1 or K-1ii or wathever is the current model.

Last edited by 08amczb; 02-14-2018 at 04:10 AM.
02-14-2018, 04:17 AM - 7 Likes   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax Developers "We have created a Firmware update that can improve high iso image quality and speed up pixel shift on the K-1. Look here."

Pentax Marketing "Thats pretty good. Why don't we apply update to all new K-1's and call it a K-1 mark II."

Pentax Developers "Whatever"

02-14-2018, 04:21 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
But, is it really holding up progress on the K-3 II's successor?
something is - it's overdue - and, as i say, a K-1 successor that only slightly reinforces the areas where the K-1 is already strong and doesn't address its weaknesses seems an odd priority to me - it's more of a refresh than an update if the leaked specs are to be believed. Still, the leaked teaser is not a K-1 body shape, so who knows (yet) what they are really up to?
02-14-2018, 04:23 AM - 6 Likes   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
Pentax Developers "We have created a Firmware update that can improve high iso image quality and speed up pixel shift on the K-1. Look here."

Pentax Marketing "Thats pretty good. Why don't we apply update to all new K-1's and call it a K-1 mark II."

Pentax Developers "Whatever"
You cannot add hardware processing chips via a software update no matter how cynical you are.
02-14-2018, 04:43 AM   #40
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
something is - it's overdue - and, as i say, a K-1 successor that only slightly reinforces the areas where the K-1 is already strong and doesn't address its weaknesses seems an odd priority to me - it's more of a refresh than an update if the leaked specs are to be believed. Still, the leaked teaser is not a K-1 body shape, so who knows (yet) what they are really up to?
The teaser is a doctored image of a K-5 silver. I found an image that had the same reflections on it if you reduce the brightness. I don’t know what Asahiman was trying to indicate by that, but it ended up being hugely misleading. Things make a lot more sense if you just ignore everything he’s said recently.

I really don’t think it is the K-1 refresh that is holding up the any APS-C camera. There are many dependencies with this kind of project, and it is more likely to be a component that is not available, or even just delays in getting the design or firmware right.

Honestly, we weren’t expecting a new K-1 at all until a couple of weeks ago, so I feel this is a nice little surprise, and an indication that Pentax are indeed serious about full frame. At least one lens should accompany it.
02-14-2018, 04:45 AM   #41
Pentaxian

To my knowledge, Asahi man never vouched for this image. Perhaps he found it on the German forum?
But, if that's the case, it's indeed hugely misleading.
02-14-2018, 04:47 AM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Things make a lot more sense if you just ignore everything he’s said recently.
This is why I was wondering whether to take Asahi man seriously any more. It also doesn't speak well for the Pentax Rumors guy to publish the image as a K-1 II without questioning. If it is really a new camera, it is aps-c (but not a flagship).
02-14-2018, 04:54 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
The rumoured MkII specs look promising. Having the K-1 and seeing what is capable of in terms of IQ I'm very interested in how much IQ improvement we will get with the new model. It is important for me that they improved both the normal and PS image quality.

For those that are already unhappy with Pentax I can see there may be more reasons now to go away (although high expectations for a totally different II model is what might ruined it for them). I have to say something and I'm really serious about that! Before you jump ship find good reasons for doing so (e.g. much better AF-C performance, more FPS, deeper buffer, more lens options). There are many. I would advice them though to shoot side by side with some good photographers with D850 and 5DIV with top lenses and compare the results

There might be some surpises. I remind you that at the price of D850 you can get the K-1 + DFA* 70-200/2.8 (about only $100 difference).
There are no suprises. K1 has very good image quality at low ISO and also at high ISO, with a mettering system a little "outdated" that makes high ISO images taken in dificult conditions to look a little on the green side, at least when comes to skintones (nothing that can't be solved in PS or Lightroom however). It's hard to tell in real shooting conditions which image was taken with Pentax and which image was taken with Nikon, Sony or Canon (except pixel shift images). We did run a test at a big photo store (F64) and there was just one from 8 photographers who guessed the camera behind each image and he admitted that he guessed. Print the images at 70-90cm on the long edge and then we could see some minor differences regarding details.

People also photograph other things than landscape and macro and in the first second when you start shooting some movements, the differences start to be visible between the cameras you mentioned. It's nice that they focused on improving image quality (which is already very good) with this K1 Mark II, but (and there is a big but here) it's strange that they didn't updated USB 2.0 port for tethering and file transfer, the USH-3 slot card and the buffer clearing time. I don't know if they simply don't have the budget or they are not interested in anything related to focus capabilities and file transfer.
02-14-2018, 05:09 AM   #44
Pentaxian

There is nothing in the specs about the usb interface as far as I can see. Just that it is still UHS-I. But i don't really expect usb-3.
02-14-2018, 05:12 AM   #45
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Don’t get me wrong. I love my K3 II and the value that Pentax provides. But this update if true IMHO is not how to win new customers or even keep current customers. I don’t see any must have feature enhancement. As ffking stated they just enhanced features that were already among the best in the industry and ignored short comings that we would all love to see addressed. It also has me concerned about the replacement for the K3 II.

I was very excited about the upcoming announcements and wondering if I would add a Full Frame to the kit or an upgraded ASPC.
Closed Thread