Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2018, 12:08 PM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
RICOH.. we just neeed 3 improvements..

1- bigger buffer
2- faster writing speed
3- AF improvement ..

I guess that we can all be ok with everything else the way that it is, improve that 3 spects and K1 will rock for a long time..

02-14-2018, 12:13 PM   #107
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by baldeagle21b Quote
Then do that and don't complain about the AF then.
:-) I was being sarcastic. Of course I don't focus manually because Pentax AF is way better and faster than me. But some people said they are using manual focus + saying they have not problem without split screen, of course not beyond the hyper-focal distance, anyway that's a weird statement. By today's standard, It would like to see a scientific test of folks saying AF doesn't matter because they focus manually with good results and without problems, I'd like to see the shoot compared @ 100% magnification.
02-14-2018, 12:29 PM   #108
Pentaxian

The noise improvements only really help for JPEG right. Presumably a fully fledged computer with frequently updated noise algorithms will do better? Basically unlimited processing power and time can't be beaten by that chip.

Cooking raws can't ever be a good idea.
02-14-2018, 01:11 PM   #109
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
The noise improvements only really help for JPEG right. Presumably a fully fledged computer with frequently updated noise algorithms will do better? Basically unlimited processing power and time can't be beaten by that chip.

Have you seen the performance of the KP and K70? It is impressive and if the accelerator chip is smoothing away detail, I'm unable to detect it.

Studio shot comparison: Digital Photography Review

02-14-2018, 01:36 PM   #110
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote

My wife has started using the word "rare" instead of "raw"; I'm not sure that any manufacturer does a pure transfer from sensor to file. For example, completely away from Pentax, Nikon allows the user to specify how large the NEF file should be.

---------- Post added 02-14-18 at 03:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Have you seen the performance of the KP and K70? It is impressive and if the accelerator chip is smoothing away detail, I'm unable to detect it.

Studio shot comparison: Digital Photography Review
Unfortunately, although they rushed D850 and a7Riii reviews "to press" DxOMark has been laggard in dealing with K-70 and KP .... the K-1 did very well in their "sports" high ISO testing, and I'm curious what their testing of "raw" files from K-70 and KP would show.
02-14-2018, 02:00 PM   #111
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Were you as good at focusing on previous DSLR's? I've got some 28mm and a 50mm prime that are manual focus, and on my K-5 II, I am not so hot at nailing focus. Stock focusing screen, bought a Katz Eye and never installed it, usually just using the OVF and coming home to find out I didn't do so hot.
Manual focus on the K-1 will make you cry twice. The first time will be when you pixel peep and realize you are nailing focus less often than on the K-5. The second time will be when you realize it’s all a sneaky DoF and resolution trick that you should have seen coming.
Then you’ll cry again when you realize how good a picture it can help you make with a 28mm lens at the ‘right’ field of view.

Only some of that is exaggerated... I’ve had mine almost since day one, and it continues to impress me. Though it doesn’t sound like this is going to make me upgrade...

-Eric
02-14-2018, 02:45 PM - 2 Likes   #112
Pentaxian

The problem I see with all those leaks and teasing and not so much anything else, it that people get more and more bored. I look at the number of Pentax forum members online, the number goes down and the duration of excitement gets shorter and shorter. The gear is already very good, but consumers are like taking drugs, in order to be excited they need higher and higher doses of spec improvements. In all of this thread, there is no single instance of a photographs, everyone is talking about specifications and if nobody is interested in photography and specifications are the only things that sell cameras. It's not really how I see photography.

02-14-2018, 02:51 PM - 1 Like   #113
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The problem I see with all those leaks and teasing and not so much anything else, it that people get more and more bored. I look at the number of Pentax forum members online, the number goes down and the duration of excitement gets shorter and shorter. The gear is already very good, but consumers are like taking drugs, in order to be excited they need higher and higher doses of spec improvements. In all of this thread, there is no single instance of a photographs, everyone is talking about specifications and if nobody is interested in photography and specifications are the only things that sell cameras. It's not really how I see photography.
Right. Let's go out and take some photos (and not forget to post them).
02-14-2018, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #114
Veteran Member

Maybe it's an effort to stay in people's minds (inevitably photo websites and forums will talk about the new body), and get rid of parts they've assembled for k-1. With k-1 and k-1 II sales they can clear out their inventory and get ready for a proper update with new tech. Initial hype and chat about k-1 has largely died down and I bet sales have gone down over past 2 years. This little update can invigorate sales once again while not taking much R&D budget and largely using same parts as the K-1.

Im hoping we'll eventually get a big firmware update for K-1 that will bring most of the features from the updated body.
02-14-2018, 03:24 PM - 1 Like   #115
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I focus faster and more accurately manually than Pentax autofocus :-) :-) )))
Maybe with my Tamron 300 I'm faster, even though it's AF it has a maverlous short throw focusing ring that lets you focus anything instantly with your little pinky. That's why it's so good with the 1.7x. The quick shift on the DA*200 and DA*60-250 are darn near impossible to manually focus. You have to turn at a certain speed to engage the clutch, and it's hard to tell when it's even moving.
02-14-2018, 03:25 PM   #116
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Maybe it's an effort to stay in people's minds (inevitably photo websites and forums will talk about the new body), and get rid of parts they've assembled for k-1. With k-1 and k-1 II sales they can clear out their inventory and get ready for a proper update with new tech. Initial hype and chat about k-1 has largely died down and I bet sales have gone down over past 2 years. This little update can invigorate sales once again while not taking much R&D budget and largely using same parts as the K-1.

Im hoping we'll eventually get a big firmware update for K-1 that will bring most of the features from the updated body.
How would sales increase if you give to the existing userbase for free?
02-14-2018, 03:33 PM   #117
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you compare the KP's high ISO performance to that of the K-1 (original), the KP holds its ground surprisingly well. It will therefore be really interesting how the K-1 II will fare alongside other FFs given this improvement. Could make it an absolute killer camera for astro work (not that it isn't already).
It really depends if the KP uses a sensor that has Dual conversion gain as I suspect that is what gives the better high iso noise control. If the KP sensor is DCG I have my doubts that we will not see this lower noise performance at higher iso from the old stock 36mp sensor.

---------- Post added 02-14-2018 at 04:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
The D760 is rumored to use a 36mp sensor which is probably the same one in the k-1 minus the ricoh accelerator part. It wouldn't be a surprise to see the a7II successor also use 36mp.
If there is a new 36mp sensor coming from Sony its more than likely to have Dual conversion gain that a lot of the new sensor being released from Sony, If it is a DCG sensor then this lower read noise is open for all to use.
02-14-2018, 04:01 PM - 1 Like   #118
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
This little update can invigorate sales once again while not taking much R&D budget and largely using same parts as the K-1.
There just doesn't seem to be enough there to stimulate any additional sales. Is there anyone who wouldn't have bought the K-1 who will now buy this? Especially with a price increase.

Now if they had gone USB 3.0, bigger buffer, faster FPS, then yeah I could see that potentially pulling in some cross-shoppers from other brands.

I'm usually pretty upbeat on Ricoh but this has fail written all over it. I really hope they have other stuff in the bag.
02-14-2018, 04:42 PM - 4 Likes   #119
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
There just doesn't seem to be enough there to stimulate any additional sales. Is there anyone who wouldn't have bought the K-1 who will now buy this? Especially with a price increase.

Now if they had gone USB 3.0, bigger buffer, faster FPS, then yeah I could see that potentially pulling in some cross-shoppers from other brands.

I'm usually pretty upbeat on Ricoh but this has fail written all over it. I really hope they have other stuff in the bag.
Under that logic Pentax should simply stop selling FF until a totally new model comes out, as everyone who would buy a FF has already done so.
02-14-2018, 05:00 PM - 2 Likes   #120
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
Under that logic Pentax should simply stop selling FF until a totally new model comes out, as everyone who would buy a FF has already done so.
Pentax is doomed! They're releasing a camera that doesn't render all their previous camera useless!
Closed Thread