Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 306 Likes Search this Thread
02-15-2018, 08:16 AM - 3 Likes   #166
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You shouldn't judge a book by its cover..... especially when you don't know what the cover looks like......

It's amusing to read that the judgement is out regarding K1 mkII even though we don't have any official information regarding the specs - just rumors. Reserve judgement until the new camera is out and tested.

And we don't know what else will be announced at CP+ or later this year.

The end isn't near. The future might be bright. :-)

02-15-2018, 08:18 AM   #167
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax_WA Quote
Interesting insight. Thank you for sharing your experience.
You're welcome

I do own the new 55-300 lens as well, and still not as fast as equivalent version on my fuji xt2. This is just the fact. Fuji has a lot bettee AF system compared to K3ii. Even the slow 55-200 did better on fuji than my fast 55-300 on k3ii.
If that's the case, it sounds like you picked a good system with Fuji. For me, I don't feel I miss any shots due to the AF performance of my K-3 and K-3II - or if I do, it's rare enough that it doesn't bother me. I find the AF on my Hasselblad HV (Sony A99) better, and - with the right lens - quicker than my Pentax gear. But I don't get noticeably more keepers as a result.

In all honesty, I tend not to get too hung up on differences between functionality and performance in the cameras I shoot. I can understand why certain strengths and weaknesses may matter for some individuals in some circumstances, but I feel many of us place more importance on such differences than is warranted. So long as we learn to use the camera to the best of our ability, that's what counts IMHO

And frankly, I disagree that pentax is going to the right direction. I kept telling myself the same thing and that's why I invested over 20k in Pentax equipment, but No it doesn't. Pentax has been late in the game. Yes, I am not a videographer but I do record videos often.. Come on no 4K again. Even cellphone these days makes better videos.
No UHS tupe 2?
It sounds like you'd be better off switching entirely to Fuji, or one of the higher end Sony offerings. I'm not one for brand loyalty if the products don't suit someone's requirements, and it sounds like Pentax doesn't - and won't, in the short-to-medium term - suit yours. I certainly wouldn't expect any changes in video performance to be sufficient for your needs, nor AF that will exceed what you already enjoy with your other system.

It's a shame you invested so much in Pentax equipment in order to find you're not satisfied with it, but I guess you can recoup a good chunk of that. Sometimes, it's best just to chalk things down to experience and move on. Better that than hang on to it and remain dissatisfied with both the performance of the equipment and the direction of the company. That's what I'd do in your circumstances.

As far as a7R II, I was never convinced to pull the trigger because of all the little shortcomings, I suggest you rent the A7R III. It's in a different ball game. Such a joy to shoot with.
I'd love to try the A7RIII, but I'm pretty much fully invested in my cameras for now. They do most of what I need well, and I can work around the things that are lacking. In years to come, I'll probably pick up the K-3II replacement when it's on close-out, or if my K-3 or K-3II dies

Last edited by BigMackCam; 02-15-2018 at 09:11 AM.
02-15-2018, 08:47 AM   #168
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by starjedi Quote
Do not compare with A7Rii or A7Riii. I think that K1 Mark II apparently targets low-end FF market. The leaked specifications sound to be high-end if released 5 years ago and still not bad 2 years ago. It will be fairly priced I believe.
But the lenses for the K1 don't target low-end FF market, with the exception of the 28-105mm. So far the lenses target mid to high FF market, and from the specs very high FF market in the case of the forthcoming primes like the DA 50mm f1.4. There seems to be a non-sequitur here? Cheap pre-digital Pentax lenses can be sourced from Ebay of course, but this brings in no money for Pentax. So which one is it really, high or low? My own guess would be high or pretty high anyway with the Pentax value brand discount included in the case of the body.

Last edited by mecrox; 02-15-2018 at 08:55 AM.
02-15-2018, 09:05 AM - 1 Like   #169
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
But the lenses for the K1 don't target low-end FF market, with the exception of the 28-105mm. So far the lenses target mid to high FF market, and from the specs very high FF market in the case of the forthcoming primes like the DA 50mm f1.4. There seems to be a non-sequitur here? Cheap pre-digital Pentax lenses can be sourced from Ebay of course, but this brings in no money for Pentax. So which one is it really, high or low? My own guess would be high or pretty high anyway with the Pentax value brand discount included in the case of the body.
Whether it's high or low end is, I think, less important than whether it's priced competitively for the features, performance and image quality it offers. It seems to me that it is.

I tend to look at the lenses separately... low, mid and high-end lenses will have a ready market with owners of all the different bodies, K-S2 through K-1, depending on their use cases and preferences for aperture, image quality, build quality and weather-resistance.

Of course, Pentax especially needs to expand the range of modern, high-end lenses for those with the K-1, or buying into the K-1II...

02-15-2018, 09:19 AM   #170
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Of course, Pentax especially needs to expand the range of modern, high-end lenses for those with the K-1, or buying into the K-1II...
I can't get all the lenses I want for my K-1. A K-1MKii doesn't change that.
02-15-2018, 09:25 AM - 2 Likes   #171
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
There just doesn't seem to be enough there to stimulate any additional sales. Is there anyone who wouldn't have bought the K-1 who will now buy this? Especially with a price increase.

Now if they had gone USB 3.0, bigger buffer, faster FPS, then yeah I could see that potentially pulling in some cross-shoppers from other brands.

I'm usually pretty upbeat on Ricoh but this has fail written all over it. I really hope they have other stuff in the bag.
If they had done all that, they would be calling it something other than "K1..". Pentax seems to take about 2 1/2 -3 years between their flagships, and tend to make fairly large jumps when they bring new ones out. The K1 isn't 2 years old yet. I wouldn't expect a completely new model before this fall, and perhaps not for another year. What they really need to be doing now is ramping up lens introductions.
02-15-2018, 09:33 AM   #172
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The K1 isn't 2 years old yet. I wouldn't expect a completely new model before this fall, and perhaps not for another year. What they really need to be doing now is ramping up lens introductions.
I'd guess it'll be some time in 2019 before we see a completely new model. As for lenses, agreed... even I can see that they need to get on the gas pedal with lens development and releases

02-15-2018, 11:16 AM - 3 Likes   #173
Pentaxian

Ricoh has had an amazing ability to give me what I want. The K1 opened up shooting opportunities for me with the low light abilities. I've had it for close to a year and a half, bought lenses for it.

I likely won't buy a body this year, but my wandering eye will be stayed with a firmware update that improves AF and extends the wifi app so I can shoot in modes where I don't want to touch the camera. I'll buy a lens this year as well.

The manufacturing refresh will let them drop the price. Imagine the K1-ii at $1250. At that price I'll buy a second one.

The D850 price is too high, even strained through Ricoh. The only thing that tempts me is the D500, but I'm not going to replace all my lenses and accessories. Next year an apsc equivalent will be available, and I'll have the choice between that or a second K1.

They know their market and I am it.
02-15-2018, 11:32 AM   #174

Not certain if it's worth the effort of commenting on this. Placing the KP accelerator in the K-1, that's it? Am i missing something here?

If i had any doubts about my recent K-3 and K-1 purchase those doubts are long gone.
02-15-2018, 11:44 AM   #175
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by solitudebound Quote
Not certain if it's worth the effort of commenting on this. Placing the KP accelerator in the K-1, that's it? Am i missing something here?
Three weeks ago you were expecting nothing from the K-1ii, because you weren't expecting any K-1ii. This does nothing to affect the value of the K-3 and K-1 to you, to your use of them.

Last edited by reh321; 02-15-2018 at 12:08 PM.
02-15-2018, 11:51 AM - 1 Like   #176
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Can we just wait till we see some images before we give a final verdict?

Seriously, it is a one hundred dollar update (from what I've read). For 100 dollars you aren't going to improvement in frame rate, you aren't going to get a new sensor, or a new auto focus sensor array. You get an updated SR and accelerator chip. If you don't need those things and can find the original K-1 for cheaper then it is better to go with that.

But the whole point of photography is images and that's exactly what we don't have at this point.

It reminds me of when Pentax updated the coatings on the DA limiteds and made them HD. At the time, I thought it was just a ploy to make a little money off of them, but people who have used both tell me that the HD versions are better (with the exception of the DA 15). But either way, you certainly wouldn't know until you had shot with both.
02-15-2018, 12:35 PM - 1 Like   #177
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Can we just wait till we see some images before we give a final verdict?
Could actually come out as the very best full frame images IQ of any existing FF camera.
02-15-2018, 12:41 PM   #178
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Could actually come out as the very best full frame images IQ of any existing FF camera.
Way to set the bar high

You could be right, though. And if it's not the best, you'd have to suspect it's going to be impressive at the very least...
02-15-2018, 01:33 PM   #179
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Have anyone here compiled a detailed list of specs for both K-1 and K-1 II side by side?
02-15-2018, 01:52 PM   #180
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
Have anyone here compiled a detailed list of specs for both K-1 and K-1 II side by side?
Specs which aren't even official, and as such treated only as rumours ??
No. Why would anyone do such a stupid thing ?
Closed Thread