Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 306 Likes Search this Thread
02-16-2018, 12:19 AM   #211
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Kenspo, thank you for your prompt and candid answer!

If by adding 5-Axis In-Body Shake Reduction to pixel shift (like the rumors claim) the new K1 is able to shoot moving objects in the pixel shift mode (while handholding the camera) it would be revolutionary! This would be a unique pixel shift capability that only Pentax would have. Many photographers would be very excited about the new K1 camera if it could do that.
I assume you are joking? Obviously pixel shift cannot be applied to subjects that has any kind of movement.

02-16-2018, 12:44 AM   #212
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
In my view, RAW data should not be manipulated and I don't see the point in providing any new/changed processing of RAW data
3 reasons why I don't want raw data to be manipulated 1 is as time goes on we get better NR software 2 It is always better to customise the NR for different scenes, 3 I would sooner allocate processing power to something else.

---------- Post added 02-16-2018 at 01:57 AM ----------

What hardware was upgraded?
I have a feeling that the noise reduction that we see in the KP and the K70 had more to do with the sony sensor and Dual conversion gain, pentax may have optimized how they manage it with hardware but I feel its more to do with DCG

If pentax is saying that the k1mr2 has the same tech as the K70/KP we might be seeing a new 36mp sensor from sony that has DCG which is not out of the reason of possibility as sony is releasing several newer sensors with it, and not to mention I would think that 36mp is the new enter level sensor for base model FF camera so I could see them wanting to refresh that MP with DCG.

Last edited by Ian Stuart Forsyth; 02-16-2018 at 12:58 AM.
02-16-2018, 12:57 AM   #213
Pentaxian

What hardware was upgraded?
Supposedly, they added this:

(Also posted on the other thread)
02-16-2018, 01:42 AM   #214
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What I learn and hear is great news for me. I remain a loyal Pentaxian simply because I get the results i want from Pentax equipmnet and I don't see that changing any time soon!

In about a week we should know more, but I'm excited not only with the K-1MkII but also the Pentax rational that is aiming at Pentaxians satisfaction and favor and not just making money from selling new products.

Great times ahead for me.

02-16-2018, 01:50 AM   #215
Veteran Member

The Accellerator chip being added seems to function by correcting noise at the pixel level rather than hiding noise by smearing the data. That’s why it can preserve dynamic range and detail, unlike noise reduction.
Its like comparing pixel based vs vector based drawing programs.
02-16-2018, 02:22 AM - 3 Likes   #216
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have no idea what the new "Pixel Shift Resolution (SR II)" is about
Looking at the alleged leaked specs, they say (with emphasis added):
Pixel Shift Resolution: Available, Motion Correction ON/OFF, Image Stabilization On
That seems to indicate that pixel shift would be able to be used with SR enabled (rather than PS forcing SR to be disabled as happens currently (at least with the older firmware that I'm using)). Hopefully it will make PS more practical for handheld use under certain conditions. It might be just firmware changes, so perhaps the K-1 might get this feature as well eventually.
02-16-2018, 03:03 AM   #217
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Supposedly, they added this:

(Also posted on the other thread)
I can't see how it does anything other than bake RAW files, though (which I don't like).

Happy to be shown otherwise!

02-16-2018, 03:13 AM - 1 Like   #218
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I can't see how it does anything other than bake RAW files, though (which I don't like).
My initial reaction to baked RAW files is the same... but we mustn't forget that they're already baked to some extent. We've had members analyse RAW files from different Pentax cameras before, and it became quite clear that there was processing applied to those images shot above certain ISO levels. I'm sure other manufacturers do this too. So long as we're not losing any detail, dynamic range, colour accuracy and other important data as a result of (additional?) processing, I might actually be open-minded to it. Especially when I look at the quality of the KP's high ISO files...
02-16-2018, 03:13 AM - 1 Like   #219
Pentaxian

None od us know for sure, but if I ware to guess how it does handle the noise, its that it contains sensor readout signal codec,on raw electric level that equalizes peaks in signal phase before it is hashed into data used by camera main cpu. That might be only one of its functions ofc.
02-16-2018, 04:00 AM - 3 Likes   #220
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
So much whining
it's sad really !

Keep shooting and enjoy the tools
02-16-2018, 04:34 AM - 2 Likes   #221
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Without being too scientific, I have been really impressed with the high ISO output from the KP.

There's something different going on....
02-16-2018, 05:09 AM - 1 Like   #222
Veteran Member

All noise reduction does is average out the data to make its smooth. Problem is you include the bad data with the good.

On the other hand if you add a correction/junking step where you look for outliers and substitute them with good data from the average of the pixels around it, then you remove the bad data contamination.
02-16-2018, 05:51 AM   #223
Pentaxian

They are not simply smoothing over pixels with this noise reduction chip. Not like in smart phones.
02-16-2018, 06:01 AM - 1 Like   #224
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
My initial reaction to baked RAW files is the same... but we mustn't forget that they're already baked to some extent.
All makers "bake" their raws to some extent. As long as it doesnt get in the way of what image results I get, I do not care. A raw is an intermediary file format to get to the real image result.
02-16-2018, 06:58 AM - 2 Likes   #225
Pentaxian

What is your insider knowledge on this?
I read the original post

The Pentax K-1 Mark II camera will have PRIME IV 14-bit imaging processing chip with the original Accelerator Unit (a RICOH developed processing device) that effectively suppresses noise and reproduces fine-details with rich colors even at high ISO levels. The Accelerator Unit was first introduced in the Pentax K-70, followed by the Pentax KP and is now being introduced in the K-1 Mark II marking the 3rd generation.
Closed Thread