Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2018, 01:59 PM   #256
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Since I have the K1, I've taken some B&W shots and printed them. As I visited a good friend, I showed him and his wife the photos, venting the merit of my Pentax K1's high ISO performance. They said, "yes, it's true, your photographs are very slic but would you have some B&W photo with some grain like in film enlargement? We find photos with grain much more appealing".
What you want for B&W is the Pentax MX-1. I really shines as a B&W camera.

02-16-2018, 02:08 PM - 1 Like   #257
Veteran Member

Anyone think Pentax or other companies will start to utilize some of the software processing that Cell phones like the Iphone 8/10 and Pixel 2 are using? They're going to pretty crazy lengths to extract everything they can out of those tiny sensors and judging by DSLR sales they keep getting better at it. I'm by no means saying a cell phone image is dlsr but some of the HDR processing, "fake" bokeh, simulated studio lighting etc are starting to get pretty good. The fake bokeh even fades with distance like an actual lens now.

I think I'm more interested in things like sensors that can divide up an image based on highlights and shadows and independently apply different ISO levels to multiple portions of an image. I know Pentax has nothing remotely close to what Google or Apple have for software programmers but I do wonder if some of these techniques will make it into DSLR.

I've found Livecomp (realtime image stacking of highlights) to be extremely useful on OMD's.

Some of these techniques, especially if Pentax grabs them exclusively could be unique features for the brand.

I'm replacing my years old phone with a newer version Iphone 8 plus this afternoon (buy one, second one 100 dollars btw if you have two lines) and it's not looking good for other camera sales how fast the smartphone camera's are progressing. They're getting really competent in low light now with the latest releases (and super expensive). The latest iphones have dual lenses (28 and 56mm) as well and 3 are soon to follow. I won't be surprised if they cover something like 24/35/50 or 28/50/85 prime coverage on them very soon. The artificial bokeh is just going to get better.
02-16-2018, 03:06 PM   #258
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
Anyone think Pentax or other companies will start to utilize some of the software processing that Cell phones like the Iphone 8/10 and Pixel 2 are using? They're going to pretty crazy lengths to extract everything they can out of those tiny sensors and judging by DSLR sales they keep getting better at it. I'm by no means saying a cell phone image is dlsr but some of the HDR processing, "fake" bokeh, simulated studio lighting etc are starting to get pretty good. The fake bokeh even fades with distance like an actual lens now.
Apple at one time had 800 engineers working on that software, I don't think any camera company has those kinds of resources.

But think where Pentax would be had it been bought by Apple or some other "we won't stop until we have it right." company/, instead of Ricoh...

---------- Post added 02-16-18 at 05:12 PM ----------

Since I have the K1, I've taken some B&W shots and printed them. As I visited a good friend, I showed him and his wife the photos, venting the merit of my Pentax K1's high ISO performance. They said, "yes, it's true, your photographs are very slic but would you have some B&W photo with some grain like in film enlargement? We find photos with grain much more appealing".
I actually miss it as well. I used to push Tri-x to increase the contrast and then enlarge to bring out the grain. Grain in film is nothing like noise in digital. It adds pattern and texture.

Last edited by normhead; 02-16-2018 at 03:15 PM.
02-16-2018, 03:31 PM   #259
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
But think where Pentax would be had it been bought by Apple or some other "we won't stop until we have it right." company/, instead of Ricoh...
At least someone bought them

02-16-2018, 03:32 PM - 4 Likes   #260
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
But think where Pentax would be had it been bought by Apple
Imagine the ergonomics of a Pentax shaped as a bar of soap and with a single button.
02-16-2018, 03:34 PM - 1 Like   #261
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
with a single button
I think Apple is still in recovery dealing with the concept of two mouse buttons
02-16-2018, 03:36 PM - 2 Likes   #262
Pentaxian

I thought they invented the no button mouse.
Because they know better what you want to click on, than you.

02-16-2018, 03:39 PM   #263
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

yeah, the real interface battle between them and MS was really over who could control the user the most

(and poor Xerox never got their due)
02-16-2018, 03:46 PM   #264
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote

I think I'm more interested in things like sensors that can divide up an image based on highlights and shadows and independently apply different ISO levels to multiple portions of an image. I know Pentax has nothing remotely close to what Google or Apple have for software programmers but I do wonder if some of these techniques will make it into DSLR.

I've found Livecomp (realtime image stacking of highlights) to be extremely useful on OMD's.

Some of these techniques, especially if Pentax grabs them exclusively could be unique features for the brand.

I'm replacing my years old phone with a newer version Iphone 8 plus this afternoon (buy one, second one 100 dollars btw if you have two lines) and it's not looking good for other camera sales how fast the smartphone camera's are progressing. They're getting really competent in low light now with the latest releases (and super expensive). The latest iphones have dual lenses (28 and 56mm) as well and 3 are soon to follow. I won't be surprised if they cover something like 24/35/50 or 28/50/85 prime coverage on them very soon. The artificial bokeh is just going to get better.

To add on your comment, even in the omd models you can push/pull the highlights, midtones, and shadows midshoot which comes in handy and is an excellent feature for an ilc. Not sure how it functions but it would be great if more companies used that function on the raw level. The phone artifical bokeh is getting better but still looks pretty cheesy, might be by next model where they make it look better.

02-16-2018, 04:05 PM - 15 Likes   #265
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The problem I see with all those leaks and teasing and not so much anything else, it that people get more and more bored. I look at the number of Pentax forum members online, the number goes down and the duration of excitement gets shorter and shorter. The gear is already very good, but consumers are like taking drugs, in order to be excited they need higher and higher doses of spec improvements. In all of this thread, there is no single instance of a photographs, everyone is talking about specifications and if nobody is interested in photography and specifications are the only things that sell cameras. It's not really how I see photography.
Here-here Biz-Engineer! In the end it is always (or should be) about making and sharing better images. We already have vastly better IQ available to us than ever before, and comparing miniscule tech-spec wins or losses keeps one from shooting real images that define your vision and skill. I make a living with Pentax gear, have done so for 35 years, and I've never been happier. I'll be testing the K-1 Mk II side by side with the original K-1 in about two weeks and will share my impressions after that. Don't forget that we have superlative IQ at our fingertips, and for less money per camera body than Canon, Nikon and Sony... I'm proud to be an Ambassador for Pentax, and rarely check in on the Forum, as there's too much whining and not enough sharing of locations, tips, and usable insights. That's my take.
02-16-2018, 07:25 PM   #266
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kjames5 Quote
Here-here Biz-Engineer! In the end it is always (or should be) about making and sharing better images. We already have vastly better IQ available to us than ever before, and comparing miniscule tech-spec wins or losses keeps one from shooting real images that define your vision and skill. I make a living with Pentax gear, have done so for 35 years, and I've never been happier. I'll be testing the K-1 Mk II side by side with the original K-1 in about two weeks and will share my impressions after that. Don't forget that we have superlative IQ at our fingertips, and for less money per camera body than Canon, Nikon and Sony... I'm proud to be an Ambassador for Pentax, and rarely check in on the Forum, as there's too much whining and not enough sharing of locations, tips, and usable insights. That's my take.
I for one am looking forward to your impressions. It will be a breath of fresh air after all of the craziness that has gone on here on PF.

Larry
02-16-2018, 07:25 PM   #267
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for dropping in with a note of sanity, Kerrick. Appreciated. - Jack
02-16-2018, 07:39 PM   #268
Pentaxian

I'm proud to be an Ambassador for Pentax, and rarely check in on the Forum, as there's too much whining and not enough sharing of locations, tips, and usable insights. That's my take.
Unfortunately you'll get no argument from me on that.
02-16-2018, 09:26 PM   #269
Pentaxian

After a year of use, the KP seems not to have assured people of its handling of details. I hope you'll be able to give some assessment of what lower noise costs in lost detail.

Ps - you don't have to sell me.
02-16-2018, 10:47 PM   #270
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
To add on your comment, even in the omd models you can push/pull the highlights, midtones, and shadows midshoot which comes in handy and is an excellent feature for an ilc. Not sure how it functions but it would be great if more companies used that function on the raw level. The phone artifical bokeh is getting better but still looks pretty cheesy, might be by next model where they make it look better.
If you are talking about curves implementation then it's only for jpegs. Raws are raws, you'll need to do work youself

---------- Post added 02-16-18 at 10:49 PM ----------

I'd be stoked to have the live comp mode from oly in my k-1, I found it very useful. Plus focus stacking sequence
Closed Thread