Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 306 Likes Search this Thread
02-18-2018, 03:19 PM - 3 Likes   #346
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ian Stuart Forsyth Quote
The reality of FWC in a CMOS sensor is that it is determined by the source follower and not the photodiode. I you look at the source follower it collects almost all of the charge, if we take a look at how much of a charge can be collected it is determined by its capacitance and available voltage swing.
OK, folks... hands up, those that thought the FWC was determined by the photodiode? C'mon now, be honest... Those who thought photodiode, raise your hands... No?... Anyone?

I don't know, Ian... seems like you and... er... me are the only ones that really understand this, but nobody wants to admit it...

02-18-2018, 03:31 PM   #347
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
OK, folks... hands up, those that thought the FWC was determined by the photodiode?
There are a few that felt that the photodiode is what determined the FWC ( none here but it was worth stating)
02-18-2018, 03:51 PM - 6 Likes   #348

Photos: Albums
The possible limit of both high CG and high FWC is theoretically derived from a signal-to-noise-ratio (SNR) formula at a switching point from a low light signal (S1) to a bright one (S2). Based on this theory, a 1/4-in VGA-format 5.6-mum-pixel-pitch CMOS image sensor has been fabricated through a 0.18-mum 2P3M CMOS technology. A high-quality wide-dynamic-range image sensing has been demonstrated with no significant visible noise, achieving over 32 dB of SNR for an 18% gray card.

Found this on the interweb but have no idea what it means.

Also took a really nice picture of a squirrel yesterday.
02-18-2018, 04:04 PM   #349
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SimplyCreativePhotography Quote
Also took a really nice picture of a squirrel yesterday.
Have you posted it on the squirrel thread yet?
Got Squirrel Shots? (In memorial of Rupert) - Page 137 - PentaxForums.com

02-18-2018, 04:22 PM - 2 Likes   #350
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Where the heck is the wiggle room anyway? Sounds like a place one might have some fun.

TWO
02-18-2018, 04:26 PM - 1 Like   #351
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
TWO
Get your posts in now, folks
02-18-2018, 04:49 PM   #352

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Done. ;-)

02-18-2018, 05:41 PM - 2 Likes   #353
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
This is not the Nikon Forum run by Adam, so this is the last comment I will make about them. They do have software switches controlling this, but they may manipulate "raw" files, which is all that I said.
Fair enough, and thanks for the link. To reiterate, all I was saying is that Nikon are giving multiple raw options that the user can choose to use or not...which I'd consider distinctly different from forcing potentially unwanted things on users (which is, I gather, some of the concern over the accelerator).

I definitely agree that it would be great to have more details on what the accelerator does or doesn't do. Then we could be sure what the arguing is for. It will be interesting to see how the K1 and K1ii compare.

---------- Post added 02-18-18 at 07:44 PM ----------

OK, folks... hands up, those that thought the FWC was determined by the photodiode? C'mon now, be honest... Those who thought photodiode, raise your hands... No?... Anyone?
I thought it was the flux dehydrator that performed this function
02-18-2018, 05:48 PM - 1 Like   #354
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
I thought it was the flux dehydrator that performed this function
You haven't been listening, Brian. Please see me after class...
02-18-2018, 05:52 PM   #355
Veteran Member

RICOH needs to put his acts together and invest in Pentax the same way Fuji and SONY have done in their lineup. This is not their photocopy machine business. There is lot more competition out here. Pentax is also losing it market share in the Medical equipment industry. RICOH needs to be more innovative and catch up with the competitors to attract more Canon/Nikon/Fuji/SONY/Pana/Olympus users to switch over. Many of us buying used Pentax gears here or off the ebay or FB doesn't generate enough revenue for RICOH. That would create a good revenue for them to continue to play a major role in the camera industry. Making few small changes don't attract current Pentax user to upgrade nor other non-Pentax users to switch over.
02-18-2018, 06:02 PM   #356
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not sure what all the fuss is over the K-1 mkII. It seems to be a standard Pentax refresh with whatever technology has been developed since the K-1 release added. I look at it as just a K-1 that has been improved. The alternative would be to make the changes without notice and just keep the K-1 name plate. How would that work out? Not so well I think.

Perhaps folks were looking for a NEW FF camera? This isn't it. It is simply the continuation of manufacturing of a successful model. That is a very good thing. The K-1 (mk???) is Pentax's "field camera". The functionality and purpose remains the same. Now if they wanted to release a new camera with a different purpose then a new name would be needed. A really high end FF or perhaps a really low end FF. But I doubt either of those will happen any time soon. One FF body with continued production is all the market can support.

You haven't been listening, Brian. Please see me after class...
Was I listening??
02-18-2018, 06:04 PM - 2 Likes   #357
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax_WA Quote
RICOH needs to put his acts together and invest in Pentax the same way Fuji and SONY have done in their lineup. This is not their photocopy machine business. There is lot more competition out here. Pentax is also losing it market share in the Medical equipment industry. RICOH needs to be more innovative and catch up with the competitors to attract more Canon/Nikon/Fuji/SONY/Pana/Olympus users to switch over. Many of us buying used Pentax gears here or off the ebay or FB doesn't generate enough revenue for RICOH. That would create a good revenue for them to continue to play a major role in the camera industry. Making few small changes don't attract current Pentax user to upgrade nor other non-Pentax users to switch over.
Ricoh Global may be a large group, but Ricoh Imaging's Pentax team is small. It simply isn't big enough to chase the competition as you suggest - at least, not in all aspects. It will, I believe, remain a small, niche player - and I think that can continue to work just fine, if it continues to develop and release a small, well-focused range of high quality, highly individual products that do what they do very well, even if they don't excel in every area. Those who understand and embrace that will be happy with gradual, solid improvements in capability and performance. But if you want leading edge in all areas, Pentax isn't ever going to be the system for you - at least, not under Ricoh ownership. I think most of us understand that, and - though we might sometimes wish it were different - we accept it. Pentax isn't Fuji, Sony, nor any of the other big brand, big budget manufacturers. Enjoy it for what it is... or switch
02-18-2018, 06:06 PM   #358
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Was I listening??
No. Go and see the headmaster!
02-18-2018, 06:12 PM   #359
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax_WA Quote
Pentax is also losing it market share in the Medical equipment industry.
Doesn't Hoya own that "Pentax" at this point in time?

HOYA, Parent Company | PENTAX Medical (Global)

Regardless, a K-1 II refresh is not a bad thing, especially when nothing was expected. It also doesn't mean there isn't more in the works.
02-18-2018, 06:15 PM   #360
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Doesn't Hoya own that "Pentax" at this point in time?

HOYA, Parent Company | PENTAX Medical (Global)
Yep. Separate company under different ownership, retaining the same brand name
Closed Thread