Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2018, 07:13 PM   #361
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax_WA Quote
Many of us buying used Pentax gears here or off the ebay or FB doesn't generate enough revenue for RICOH.
Just FYI but you buying used gears off of ebay does not generate ANY revenue for Ricoh. Since you are asking them to invest heavily in the brand I am curious how much have you invested in the brand? In new gear that actually generates revenue?
Pentax is also losing it market share in the Medical equipment industry.
I might be wrong but Pentax medical is a completely different company. I believe Hoya kept that part when they sold the camera part to Ricoh.
RICOH needs to be more innovative and catch up with the competitors to attract more Canon/Nikon/Fuji/SONY/Pana/Olympus users to switch over.
I disagree with that marketing style in this case. Spending huge amounts of money on a shrinking market makes little sense. Yes Fuji is developing lots of new equipment, but are they making any money at it? Or just trying to buy market share?

02-18-2018, 09:02 PM   #362
Veteran Member

Shrinking market means keeping your existing customers invested in your current and future products. Photography and camera sales are not going to go the way of the buggy whip when internal combustion engines became common in cars but it does seem to be becoming a niche hobby and business with the availability of images for people to buy (and often steal, ) off of the internet. Why create it when you can steal it?

Folks don't realize that it really isn't that expensive of a hobby if you don't go berserk buying high end lenses and gear, but is actually cheaper than the days of film cameras. No film and developing costs only to find out that your thumb is huge or that you have spinach in your teeth. Just a delete key! Since Pentax has been the value for the money brand for a while, that is where they should try to steal some Canonikon users. (too bad Ricoh pays their marketing folks peanuts.)

People are jumping at rumors of what is coming and getting all riled up and it isn't worth giving yourself an ulcer over it, no matter how close to your personal ideal the upcoming gear is going to be. There are so many things I would like in the current catalog but can't afford to spend the cash for but I am interested, but not invested in the questions surrounding the announcements about new gear next month.
02-18-2018, 09:06 PM   #363
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Just FYI but you buying used gears off of ebay does not generate ANY revenue for Ricoh. Since you are asking them to invest heavily in the brand I am curious how much have you invested in the brand? In new gear that actually generates revenue?
I guess you must have misread my comment. If you look at my signature line, it should give you a pretty good idea of how much I have invested in Pentax over the past 15 years.
02-18-2018, 11:16 PM   #364

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
shiny times, when pentax regularly offered (not every two years...) some lens of good value for money, which weighed less than a kilo and which did not cost 1300 or 1600 euros .... man, if there were more choices in modern and simple FF lenses, maybe we would go for less on ebay....

02-19-2018, 12:44 AM   #365
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax is also losing it market share in the Medical equipment industry.
Just an aside, when Hoya sold Pentax to Ricoh, they held on to Pentax Medical along with the name Pentax (just for the medical area). So Pentax Medical is still a group within and owned by Hoya. _______________________

I see I was a day late and a dollar short - on this. I didn't scroll down to see some later posts. Sorry about that.

02-19-2018, 01:58 AM   #366
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I am with you Mike, and I am somewhat nerdy.
I was curious about the subject Ian raised, and this is what I found on the web:

Fundamentals of Image Sensor Performance

Figure 2.2 in section 1.4 seems to be the structure Ian was referring to. Second stage Vout voltage level
will vary with the voltage level of Vphoto of the photodiode, hence the term "source follower".
02-19-2018, 02:10 AM - 2 Likes   #367
Veteran Member

We have all answers very soon!

02-19-2018, 02:24 AM   #368
Pentaxian

How soon? Should I sleep/eat/drink/blink, or I'll miss it?
02-19-2018, 02:50 AM - 2 Likes   #369
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
How soon? Should I sleep/eat/drink/blink, or I'll miss it?
Like 60 hours and 10 minutes soon.
02-19-2018, 02:50 AM   #370
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
we have all answers very soon!
i can't wait!!!!
02-19-2018, 02:57 AM   #371
Pentaxian

In the next minutes, hours, days, and even maybe weeks or months
/asahi man
02-19-2018, 03:03 AM   #372
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Just an aside, when Hoya sold Pentax to Ricoh, they held on to Pentax Medical along with the name Pentax (just for the medical area). (...)
Actually the Pentax trademark belongs to Hoya, including for photographic equipment (class 9 of the Nice classification). See the Global Brand Database of the World Intellectual Property Organization for further details:

WIPO Global Brand Database

There must be some licence agreement between Hoya and Ricoh allowing Ricoh to use the Pentax trademark for a certain period of time.
02-19-2018, 03:28 AM - 2 Likes   #373
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Actually the Pentax trademark belongs to Hoya, including for photographic equipment (class 9 of the Nice classification). See the Global Brand Database of the World Intellectual Property Organization for further details:

WIPOGlobal Brand Database

There must be some licence agreement between Hoya and Ricoh allowing Ricoh to use the Pentax trademark for a certain period of time.
Ricoh really should just take over Hoya and sort all that out
02-19-2018, 03:34 AM   #374
Veteran Member

Hoya didn't care about Pentax at all. Just wanted the patents etc
02-19-2018, 03:40 AM   #375
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Like 60 hours and 10 minutes soon.
So you are saying news breaks on the morning of Thursday 22 February, Tokyo time?

There's nothing on Postel, yet. Though I have noticed that camera-makers now seem to register things on there after news breaks and not before it. They must have got wise to that little leak ... OTOH, if it is a minor update I guess the original registration might do.
Closed Thread